Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aldo818

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
South of France
i ve read in a few forums that surfing the web is harming the SSD drive. As it constaniously reads and writes it. So they advised to configure the browser in a way to use RAM not the SSD harddrive.

Is this true? If so would you guys advise me to do it as i use my macbook air mainly for browsing?

hamean

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2010
buy Apple Care and don't worry. If you're SSD messes up, you're covered. And even if you don't have applecare, if it messes up due to some weird SSD flaw like stated above, they'll replace it.

It's one of the benefits of having an Apple.

fswmacguy

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2009
Reading/writing does not damage the hard disk for the timespan that you would realistically be using it. You are not the first person to assume this, though, so I'll post what I normally post.

Most hard drives are rated for ~51 years. That means you would need to be filling the drive and erasing the drive 24 hours a day, for 51 years, to see a change in performance.

Hard drive wear is extremely overrated. By the time your drive wears out, SSDs will be $1.99 from a vending machine.

iExpensive

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2010
Las Vegas
Why does the majority of the nonsense on the web always come back to apple products?

That whole article sounds ludicrous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.