Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coastertux

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2006
I'm not sure if something changed or I just noticed it, but now when I get close to my 13" MBA (Newest Generation) I can hear the fan running when just browsing the web. Is this normal? I'm guessing the fan has to run all the time, but I never really noticed it before except when running Skype. I tried searching, but I didn't see an exact answer to my question.

zulumonk

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2009
The fan is generally always running. Mine only becomes noticeable when I'm either gaming or watching flash video. Its normal unless it starts to ramp up when you aren't doing anything intensive.

lucashungaro

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2010
São Paulo, Brazil
The fan is always spinning, so if you're in a silent place and get somewhat close to your notebook, you'll hear it. (I think the lowest speed is around 1500 rpm - at least in my case)

It'll start to make some "disturbing" noise near 4000 rpm and gets worse as it speeds up.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
The fan is always spinning, so if you're in a silent place and get somewhat close to your notebook, you'll hear it. (I think the lowest speed is around 1500 rpm - at least in my case)

It'll start to make some "disturbing" noise near 4000 rpm and gets worse as it speeds up.

If you are looking at sites with Flash content (even just Flash-based adds), your processor may be much more active requiring the fan.

AMDGAMER

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
I haven't even heard the fan, but im also coming from an alienware desktop with raptors HDs and liquid cooling, so im used to noise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.