PDA

View Full Version : learning from development conferences

ctyhntr
Jan 12, 2011, 04:05 PM
I saw this one coming up. Anyone attended these, and how worthwhile?

http://www.iphonedevcon.com/

balamw
Jan 13, 2011, 12:08 AM
I saw this one coming up. Anyone attended these, and how worthwhile?

http://www.iphonedevcon.com/

Seems a tad expensive. Reviews for the one in San Diego were pretty good.

Everyone is different in the way they learn stuff. What's your background?

B

ctyhntr
Jan 13, 2011, 01:04 AM
Is there something less expensive to compare?

I've been playing around with Xcode and the iPhone SDK for the last 6-7 months. Currently taking a course on basic iPhone programming at a local school.

balamw
Jan 13, 2011, 06:25 AM
Is there something less expensive to compare?

I've been playing around with Xcode and the iPhone SDK for the last 6-7 months. Currently taking a course on basic iPhone programming at a local school.

And your goal is? Who would be paying for the workshop?

I was just comparing the full three day cost of this to the cost of 5 days at WWDC. WWDC seems like a better value for the same amount of money.

B

ctyhntr
Jan 13, 2011, 04:00 PM
I'm paying for the conference out of my own pocket. Looking for opportunities to further my learning experience in iOS programming.

balamw
Jan 13, 2011, 07:48 PM
I'm paying for the conference out of my own pocket. Looking for opportunities to further my learning experience in iOS programming.

If you plan on registering early and Boston is a better location for you than the Bay Area go for it, otherwise, I'd personally try to go to WWDC instead.

B

admanimal
Jan 13, 2011, 08:38 PM
If you plan on registering early and Boston is a better location for you than the Bay Area go for it, otherwise, I'd personally try to go to WWDC instead.

B

I would not recommend WWDC just for learning iOS development. You can get pretty much all of the beginner technical information you would get by attending WWDC from the free session videos. Attending the actual conference is more useful for networking purposes or finding answers to specific (advanced) coding questions.

balamw
Jan 14, 2011, 06:01 AM
I would not recommend WWDC just for learning iOS development. You can get pretty much all of the beginner technical information you would get by attending WWDC from the free session videos. Attending the actual conference is more useful for networking purposes or finding answers to specific (advanced) coding questions.

Did you take a look at the conference ctyhntr is considering? I'd characterize it similarly. Most of the sessions and workshops are focused on more advanced topics.

Everyone learns things differently, ctyhntr may not be able to absorb the free session videos or the Stanford iTunes U course or .... as well as he does in a dedicated environment like a conference.

All I'm saying is that if you think a develepment conference might be the right thing for you, and are willing to spend $1500 on it, consider 5 days at WWDC over 3 days at iphonedevconf.

B

admanimal
Jan 14, 2011, 11:17 AM
Did you take a look at the conference ctyhntr is considering? I'd characterize it similarly. Most of the sessions and workshops are focused on more advanced topics.

Everyone learns things differently, ctyhntr may not be able to absorb the free session videos or the Stanford iTunes U course or .... as well as he does in a dedicated environment like a conference.

All I'm saying is that if you think a develepment conference might be the right thing for you, and are willing to spend $1500 on it, consider 5 days at WWDC over 3 days at iphonedevconf.

B

I guess the main reason for my comment on WWDC is that you can get all of the beginner level info for free in the session videos anyway. The conference the OP mentioned at least seems specifically geared toward teaching you how to program. That is not the case with WWDC.

The OP can watch the WWDC videos for himself and see what he thinks, keeping in mind that what you see is what you get at WWDC in terms of programming instruction. You aren't going to be able to sit down with an Apple engineer and have them teach you the basics of anything (yes they do have labs, but those have long lines and are meant to address specific coding issues). You'll see that the sessions are basically lectures that cover a topic in general with some occasional code snippets; last year there wasn't even time for Q&A at the end.

ctyhntr
Jan 14, 2011, 04:10 PM
Thanks for your insight.