Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cntchds

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
I had a Mac Mini sitting around the house collecting dust, so I thought I'd boot it up to have a small computer in my room. When I booted it up it started with the standard "bung" sound, but then it showed a blank grey screen. After a minute or so the screen turned to black, then came back with the same grey screen, but with a blue folder in the middle flashing a question mark, then the old Mac two faces logo, and continued to switch indefinitely.

I decided that the OS had been corrupted, and needed to be reinstalled, which I thought was not going to be a big deal. I was wrong. I put the Mac Mini OS Install CD into the drive, and it sounded like it was running it, but the same grey screen followed by the one with the folder happened again. So then I tried to force boot from disc by holding "c" on start up. This did not work, then I tried using the Open Firmware to force boot from disc using
boot cd:9,\\:tbxi Which did not work, so I tried
boot cd:9,\\System\Library\CoreServices\BootX Which also did not work.

Both said that it was unable to open.

I then tried to eject the disc so I could try my other install discs MacBook Pro, but the drive would not eject, and I had to open the Mini up to get the disc physically out of the disc tray. When I tried to do the install with my other install disc it did virtually the same thing with identical error messages. The only way I could get it to do anything different was to hold option on reboot, and the screen would go blue with the old school clock spinning as the cursor, a button that had a arrow pointing to the right (like "next") and a button with an arrow that looked like a "refresh." "Next" didn't work even after multiple "refresh"es, even though clicking refresh definitely started whatever process it was doing over again.

Any suggestions on how I can get an OS onto this Mac? I'm thinking it might be the optical drive, so I might swap one over from another one in the house.

Thanks in advance,
Peter

cntchds

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
Sorry this is probably the wrong place to have this thread. I just assumed to put it here since the first line of the Firmware said something about "Power Mac" or "Power PC" or something.

cntchds

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
I just replaced the optical drive out of another one of my Mac Minis, but the one I took it out of is an Intel Mac, while the problem one is a PowerMac. The drive will not spin up. It starts to initialize spinning and then just quits. Are the drivers not the same for the different optical drives? From Open Firmware I'm getting-

ok
0 > boot cd:9,\\:tbxi can't OPEN: cd:9,\\:tbxi
Can't open device or file
ok
0 > boot cd:9,\\:System\Library\CoreServices\BootX can't OPEN: cd:9\\:System\Library\CoreServices\BootX
Can't open device or file

The same thing it said with the other drive, except the other one would spin up to speed.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
Are you using the correct install discs? (They are from that Mini - not another one, as its possible youve got incorrect or corrupt disks - have you tried it with a retail 10.4 / 10.5 CD?) The fact it bongs is a good sign as it means it should boot - eventually :)

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
it happened to me the last time, the superdrive on my FW800 was not able to read the leopard retail disc, it did boot with the generic drive i installed below the superdrive. The install disc should be a DL DVD disc am i right?

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
it happened to me the last time, the superdrive on my FW800 was not able to read the leopard retail disc, it did boot with the generic drive i installed below the superdrive. The install disc should be a DL DVD disc am i right?

It depends which OS version he has, because if its a retail 10.4 disc, it could be anything, even CDs...

cntchds

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
I have a few Macs, but all of the others are Intel Macs. I have two other Minis, which is where I took the other optical drive from to test it, and one MacBook Pro. Will those work? I also have my Dell mini 10v that is running 10.6. I also am unaware of how to install it via firewire>target disk. Would I be able to use one of my other minis? I'm also trying to hunt down my copy of Snow Leopard to see if the general copy will work better.

If I am to believe that the optical drive is at fault, then shouldn't the working drive from my other minis work?

Sorry I'm a bit tech challenged.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
I have a few Macs, but all of the others are Intel Macs. I have two other Minis, which is where I took the other optical drive from to test it, and one MacBook Pro. Will those work? I also have my Dell mini 10v that is running 10.6. I also am unaware of how to install it via firewire>target disk. Would I be able to use one of my other minis? I'm also trying to hunt down my copy of Snow Leopard to see if the general copy will work better.

If I am to believe that the optical drive is at fault, then shouldn't the working drive from my other minis work?

Sorry I'm a bit tech challenged.

Unfortunately none of those will work, neither will 10.6 as 10.6 is for Intel macs only (Wont run on anything else, not G3,G4,G5 - shame..) - one thing you could try is swapping the optical drive again to see if you can get one to powerup and load the CD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.