PDA

View Full Version : Anyone play games on a new DDR Powermac?

amnesiac1984
Sep 4, 2002, 02:21 PM
Its on its way, my new powermac that is, taking bloody ages :(

ANyway, I'm interrested to hear ppl's comments on gaming with these new machines, in particular the new ATI 9000 cards on the 1ghz system! What games have you run and do they really kick ass as much as I hope they will?

Cheers in advance! I'll post my own experiences when my machine arrives! PLEEEEEZ LET IT BE TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :D

bousozoku
Sep 6, 2002, 08:21 PM
It doesn't have DDR but my dual 800 and GeForce 2 MX isn't bad. I've found that id's games use the hardware better than the others. Quake III for Mac OS X is wow! fast. Return to Castle Woflenstein is far faster than I would have believed after seeing the posts about how slow it was. I guess having a two quick processors can possibly work better than expected.

job
Sep 7, 2002, 11:33 AM
That's cause the Quake 3 engine supports DPs. ;)

Warcraft 3 still seems to have issues with the dual-800. ;)

blogo
Sep 7, 2002, 11:54 AM
Come on, Quake 3 is an outdated game

Mephisto
Sep 7, 2002, 11:58 AM
I got a new Dual Giggy and I've Played WC3 and Max Payne and they both look great!!!!

Before, I was using a G3 400 b/w... I never was able to fully appreciate the beauty before me :(

But nowwww, I see the textures and colors and I've never been happier!

Dual 1GiG DDR
768 Megs o' Ramage
500 GiGs O' HD Spaceage (so far)
3 CD-rws
1 DvD-r
:)

amnesiac1984
Sep 7, 2002, 12:21 PM
well i called the apple store yesterday and they say it'll get here monday!!!! what am i gonna do all day tomorrow?????

Meph, which graphics card you got??

anyone played 4x4 evolution 2? I ordered it cos I love driving games

Mephisto
Sep 7, 2002, 12:48 PM
The 9600

job
Sep 7, 2002, 03:22 PM
ehm...

There's no such thing as an "ati 9600."

There is only the 9000 and the 9700.

job
Sep 7, 2002, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by amnesiac1984
anyone played 4x4 evolution 2? I ordered it cos I love driving games

It's alright.

Just not my cup of tea. ;)

amnesiac1984
Sep 7, 2002, 03:23 PM
and the 9700 is yet to be released for the mac

amnesiac1984
Sep 7, 2002, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by hitman

It's alright.

Just not my cup of tea. ;)

well i had the dem of the original and i could not stop playing it!

I guess each to his own tho, i've always been in to driving games, but they never seem to get released for the mac

job
Sep 7, 2002, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by amnesiac1984

I guess each to his own tho, i've always been in to driving games, but they never seem to get released for the mac

Yeah, that's true.

I wonder if the F1 game will ever see the light of day..

Mephisto
Sep 7, 2002, 05:59 PM
Oops, i meant the 9000...the one that came in my computer.

I'm not much of a gamer, so i dunno the difference between the various models and companies.

job
Sep 7, 2002, 06:02 PM
it's all good.

don't worry about it. :)

Spike Spiegel
Sep 24, 2002, 04:52 PM
ive got a new dual gig with geforce 4 ti, and moh:aa runs quite well with only a few slow downs(but they could be autosaves) WCIII runs very well with slowdown only when i use the mouse wheel to zoom in, itunes is a bit choppy on full screen but great otherwise. Opening menus during dvd's are nice and smooth, although the scan lines on dvd's are annoying as hell.
I also have a question, is Max payne worth buying?

jadam
Oct 1, 2002, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by hitman

Yeah, that's true.

I wonder if the F1 game will ever see the light of day..

yeah, i saw it at MWNY, looked nice.

Performfreak
Oct 6, 2002, 01:48 PM
I'm on the lower end of the DDR spectrum, but I haven't noticed any slowdowns with games or itunes. The closest thing I noticed to jerkiness was on the Giants Citizen kabuto demo, where when I looked at the entire scenery (lot of polygons) it got a tiny bit jerky. Otherwise, iTunes is liquid smooth in full screen visuals, and WC III plays very smooth as well. Now I just need to actually BUY some games, like soldier of fortune!

Performfreak

Haberdasher
Oct 9, 2002, 06:54 PM
I've got a G4 Dual Gig on the way, 768 Megs of Ram, 120 GB of space to fill with games...drool...

I'm transplanting the GeForce 4 Ti already in my computer to the new comp. I just hope it comes by friday...probably on monday or tuesday though. :(

Oh well. I'll play my brains out when it does come. :D

SilvorX
Oct 9, 2002, 09:38 PM
i might be getting a dual 867 in a month, it sounds like ppl are having fun with playing games on the dual ddrs :)
(i convinced my dad that the dual 867 is better than a 700 mhz emac)