Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zac7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2011
Basically the title says it all. I heard the iPhone 4 screen is similar to gorrilla glass. I have a original droid and I don't use a screen protector and have no scratches on it. Does the iPhone 4 resist scratches as good as other devices with gorrilla glass? Anyone have any videos or anything showing the scratch resistency (if that is a word) of the iPhone 4?

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
It's hard to scratch the glass, but the oleophobic coating scratches easily. :(

Use a screen protector. :cool:

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Yes it scratches.

I have the "Power Support" brand on my iPhone, my wife's iPhone and my daughter's new touch. I got it direct from the manufacturer, and got the kit that includes a anti-glare screen protector for the front, and a glossy one for the back. Other than those, no case or "bumper" on mine.

BurntReality

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Tyler, TX
I use the screen protectors provided with the Switcheasy cases. I like them because they are not noticeable and they provide some extra scratch protection. I have used a screen protector on all my iPhones so far.

martynov

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2011
I actually got my the self the zagg and i still regret it to this day after throwing out almost $100 for two cases and two screen protectors in best buy. The zagg was installed by Bestbuy tech there and i had to come back TWICE to get it fixed as it started to peel. There is also a very noticeable "orange peel" effect on it which is pretty ugly at least to me.

If you're choosing any screen protector do not go with the soft ones, my friend got him self a matte hard plastic one with self adhesive and it looks great. He bought it like for like $5 :eek:

I used to be all about using a screen protector and a case and religiously treating my iPhone like a small child. However, soon after I came to the conclusion that the iPhone is, at the most basic level, my cell phone and if I'm afraid to use it, etc, then what's the point in having it. So, I go completely naked (on the phone that is ;)) and love it! The phone feels so much more natural to hold and the screen is definitely better. Granted there are the occasional fingerprints on it but nothing a cloth won't clean off.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Never used a screen protector on any of my 3 iPhones and won't start any time soon. I don't understand keeping your device pristine if it interferes with appreciating the natural beauty of it.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
I have always had screen protectors on my iphones just to be on the safeside. I currently owe a 3GS and it has its screen protector on it.

Sent from my GT-I9000M

Zac7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2011
Never used a screen protector on any of my 3 iPhones and won't start any time soon. I don't understand keeping your device pristine if it interferes with appreciating the natural beauty of it.

Do you notice any bad scratches if your careful and don't drop it? I am not worried about the drop and then there is a scratch its the ligh annoying scratches some phones get from just putting in and out of your pocket. What screen protectors are good and don't take away from the touch screen experiance?

Zac7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2011
Did have one. Kinda ruins the retina display, IMO.

hows the phone holding up without the protector? I am real careful with my phone and am trying to figure out whether it scratches from putting in and out of pocket of jeans

Zac7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2011
I used to be all about using a screen protector and a case and religiously treating my iPhone like a small child. However, soon after I came to the conclusion that the iPhone is, at the most basic level, my cell phone and if I'm afraid to use it, etc, then what's the point in having it. So, I go completely naked (on the phone that is ;)) and love it! The phone feels so much more natural to hold and the screen is definitely better. Granted there are the occasional fingerprints on it but nothing a cloth won't clean off.

Notice any scratches? I don't care about the fingerprints

ssdeg7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
I hate when my devices get scratched, so I bought the invisible shield by Zagg and it has worked very well for a couple of months, and if it ever gets ruined then I just buy another and take the old one off.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Do you notice any bad scratches if your careful and don't drop it? I am not worried about the drop and then there is a scratch its the ligh annoying scratches some phones get from just putting in and out of your pocket. What screen protectors are good and don't take away from the touch screen experiance?

Not really. All 3 (2G, 3G and 4) have taken falls on everything from wood to pavement. Sure, there are some light scratches on it, but I see it as more signs of use than something largely negative. I have 3 light] scratches on the back of my 4, none on the front. Again, I don't stress about it because it's a device, not a piece of art. I use it like a phone, MP3 player and internet connector, not like a piece of glass. Believe me, you'll enjoy it more if you don't make yourself paranoid about it.

Zac7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2011
Not really. All 3 (2G, 3G and 4) have taken falls on everything from wood to pavement. Sure, there are some light scratches on it, but I see it as more signs of use than something largely negative. I have 3 light] scratches on the back of my 4, none on the front. Again, I don't stress about it because it's a device, not a piece of art. I use it like a phone, MP3 player and internet connector, not like a piece of glass. Believe me, you'll enjoy it more if you don't make yourself paranoid about it.

Yeah I know what you mean, but when its new I know I am going to be OCD about it I always am with my phones.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Yeah I know what you mean, but when its new I know I am going to be OCD about it I always am with my phones.

(laughs) and strangely I do know what you mean as well. It lasts until the first drop and then I realize what it can take :) Good luck.

toromac

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2008
go without a screen protector

I have yet to notice a scratch on my IP4, and I've gone without a screen protector since getting the phone over the summer. I say protection dulls the overall experience.

Zac7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2011
I have yet to notice a scratch on my IP4, and I've gone without a screen protector since getting the phone over the summer. I say protection dulls the overall experience.

I find that by using a screen protector, you can't fully appreciate the Retina Display.

Go without one and you'll see what I mean

I agree with everything you guys are saying. I just wanted to know if the general consensus is that the iPhone 4 doesn't scratch easy by putting in pocket and other normal usage. I want to keep it free of case period but maybe have a case when I go out drinking just in case. Sorry for the pun.

ctbear

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2010
I agree with everything you guys are saying. I just wanted to know if the general consensus is that the iPhone 4 doesn't scratch easy by putting in pocket and other normal usage. I want to keep it free of case period but maybe have a case when I go out drinking just in case. Sorry for the pun.

I got a couple hair scratches on the back the first week using the phone. I was very careful with it and had absolutely no idea how it got scratched. I wore jeans all the time and never put the phone close to anything that might scratch it.
My point is no matter how careful you are, there is still a chance that you might scratch it. If you can live with the risk then you are probably fine without a film. For me, I'm paranoid without one :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.