PDA

View Full Version : Best way to hook iPad to HDTV for Netflix?

PittsDriver
Jan 13, 2011, 10:55 AM
Hey all,

I know there are a few options out there but I was curious what everyone was using to hook their iPads up to a TV. Not looking to spend a bunch of money but I don't want a big headache.

MacDawg
Jan 13, 2011, 11:03 AM
Are you sure you want to do that?

I just got the Apple TV for $99

PittsDriver
Jan 13, 2011, 11:05 AM
Well I already have an iPad so if the cables are cheap then I would like to. But 99 for AppleTV is really cheap.

Zodiak
Jan 13, 2011, 12:01 PM
I may be wrong but I was under the impression that Netflix and several other streaming sources recognized the ipad as a seperate device and downscales all its content for a max resolution it can display. Upscaling that downscaled content to something like a 60'' tv wont look too good I believe but is still an option.

Heck I could be wrong and it could turn out great!

str8bucs
Jan 13, 2011, 12:20 PM
I may be wrong but I was under the impression that Netflix and several other streaming sources recognized the ipad as a seperate device and downscales all its content for a max resolution it can display. Upscaling that downscaled content to something like a 60'' tv wont look too good I believe but is still an option.

Heck I could be wrong and it could turn out great!

Yeah that is what happens it will be very grainy!

NeuralControl
Jan 13, 2011, 12:25 PM
You could try to use something like the Apple Component/Composite AV Cables. They are $39. However, as other posters have already stated, I'm not sure if Netflix allows the video to be transmitted out of the device.

If you can afford the $99 for the Apple TV, I think that's the best option.

AirPlay is going to become more and more useful with each new iteration of iOS. Even 4.3 has more uses for AirPlay that make the Apple TV a great value for individuals with other iOS devices.

MacDawg
Jan 13, 2011, 12:26 PM
Yeah that is what happens it will be very grainy!

All the more reason to get the Apple TV
Great value at $99

Not only the Netflix, but the iTunes Store, iTunes music, all videos you have in iTunes, slide shows, etc.
No need to physically hook your iPad and unhook it

It was a no brainer for me
And I got one for both my kids too