PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook G4 missing rubber foot....

overheated
Jan 30, 2005, 10:12 PM
ok.... so this is the first problem i have had in 6 months and it's trivial. i am missing the right front rubber foot from my powerbook. the book is 6 months old as stated previous and i do have the three year apple care coverage. what should i do? are these feet covered? or should i just buy a new pack of four from (the only place i can find selling them) "welovemacs.com"?

i was thinking that apple might consider then a wearable item and not cover them but then on the other hand i would think it would be in their best interest to just send me a four pack as a thankyou for my $10,000 worth of apple hardware and software i bought last year alone.

anyone know?

NEENAHBOY
Jan 30, 2005, 10:32 PM
Call AppleCare and check. I'm sure they have extra feet lying around and would be willing to spare some :D

RBMaraman
Jan 30, 2005, 10:46 PM
ok.... so this is the first problem i have had in 6 months and it's trivial. i am missing the right front rubber foot from my powerbook. the book is 6 months old as stated previous and i do have the three year apple care coverage. what should i do? are these feet covered? or should i just buy a new pack of four from (the only place i can find selling them) "welovemacs.com"?

i was thinking that apple might consider then a wearable item and not cover them but then on the other hand i would think it would be in their best interest to just send me a four pack as a thankyou for my $10,000 worth of apple hardware and software i bought last year alone.

anyone know?

You can get new feet for FREE from the Genius Bar at any Apple Retail Store. They even give you feet even if your machine is out of warranty. For Example, I got new feet for my iBook G3 500mhz that is 3.5 years old last month.

overheated
Jan 31, 2005, 02:23 PM
unfortunately upon calling apple i did not get the good service that you both thought i should or might get.

<apple> what? no serial number.... call us back when you have it....
<me> Sir, i have just a general question about what is warrantable?
<apple> but you said you dont have your serial number right?
<apple> then call us back when you have it.
<apple> ok, ok, ok, whats the question?
<me> rubber foot missing.... how should i proceed?
<apple> thats a consumable part therefor you would have to purchase the replacement foot.
<me> bye.

so after that highly inspiring transaction with customer service (yeah right) i tuned around and ordered a new Mini Mac and iPod shuffle....

so you tell me who the fool is.

life is short, who cares.

Bear
Jan 31, 2005, 03:16 PM
unfortunately upon calling apple i did not get the good service that you both thought i should or might get.

...Actually the advice was go to a Genius Bar in an Apple Store (if you live close enough to get to it). The guys on the phone only know how to ask for money if you're not covered by AppleCare or Warranty. Whereas the genius bar will answer questions for free. And sometimes give out trim parts for free (Misisng feet, missing keys sometimes...)

DJY
Sep 8, 2005, 07:27 AM
The back right little rubber foot fell of my PB the other day!
Here in Australia - no true Apple stores.
I found it at home - and tried putting it back on - but it fell off again...

this is the first (even slight) hiccup with my PB in 16 months.

can I just glue it back on?
Do Aussie resellers also have a few lying around like the Genius Bar's?
Cheers

Over Achiever
Sep 8, 2005, 08:52 AM
Funny, I've been to the Genius Bar twice for my powerbook (AC Adapter and battery issues), both times they said the feet were not replaceable.

wordmunger
Sep 8, 2005, 08:55 AM

anyone know?

When one of my TiBook's feet fell out, I had to practically BEG Apple's support people to sell me a set of 4 new ones. I think it was about $10.

GimmeSlack12
Sep 8, 2005, 11:36 AM
I would imagine the guys on the phone at Apple look to deal with serious issues. Not to say this isn't serious to "you" but c'mon. Run down to HomeDepot and see what you can find (gotta cost around $.45). I don't like hearing Apple has terrible support over something like this. Its a little piece of replaceable rubber!

dswoodley
Sep 8, 2005, 01:12 PM
The back right little rubber foot fell of my PB the other day!
Here in Australia - no true Apple stores.
I found it at home - and tried putting it back on - but it fell off again...

this is the first (even slight) hiccup with my PB in 16 months.

can I just glue it back on?
Do Aussie resellers also have a few lying around like the Genius Bar's?
Cheers

yeah you can glue it back on. If you order a replacement kit from of the specialty part stores in the states, they just send you four feet and a little tube of super glue.

dswoodley
Sep 8, 2005, 01:15 PM
Funny, I've been to the Genius Bar twice for my powerbook (AC Adapter and battery issues), both times they said the feet were not replaceable.

and I don't doubt they said that (bunch of horse ******), but you can buy replacements from a quite a few specialty stores in the states. Don't let yourself get gouged though - one store sells them for $45.00

wrxguy
Sep 8, 2005, 01:39 PM
go to here (http://www.radtech.us/Products/Pawz.aspx) you can the replacements for only 8 bucks

Aldaris
Sep 8, 2005, 02:54 PM
I lost my rear-right foot on my PowerBook, called apple care, And I got "Your 90-day phone support is up"... I called the guy on that with a "one year warranty", and got the foot replacement kit at no cost- I did have to sit on the phone for hours and looking back it's just easier to order from an online repair/parts or possibly on eBay... do some searching they are out there, although the Official Apple Feet may be more than a run-of the mill replacement.

*As for Apples Service being top-notch I have not seen it like that in while...

tdbaws
Oct 3, 2005, 06:09 PM
yeah, mine's starting to get annoying when i take notes in class. guess i'll have to wait until i go back home until i can swing by the store. i hate phone customer support.

powerbook911
Oct 3, 2005, 09:42 PM
You can also ask, for a higher level representative. They should replace the rubber feet free of charge.

Peter Griffin
Oct 6, 2005, 07:39 AM
After paying such a high premium for Apple laptops you would think that they wouldn't skimp on something as cheap as feets :rolleyes:

Preacher85
Oct 6, 2005, 09:42 AM
Here's the page with the replacement feet on Apple's site. It's under the Do it yourself link on the right hand side of the Powerbook G4 Support page.

http://www.apple.com/support/powerbook/doityourself/15al/

It's still probably easier to find them somewhere else online. AppleCare is the worst pain in the neck to deal with.

Fender
Oct 6, 2005, 09:44 AM
go to here (http://www.radtech.us/Products/Pawz.aspx) you can the replacements for only 8 bucks
Like wrxguy said, just get the Radtech feet instead of the standard Apple feet. They give a nice little clearance boost on flat surfaces.

Norouzi
Oct 6, 2005, 07:00 PM
I used to work for an Apple reseller and we got replacement feet for iBooks and Powerbooks all the time, it is (or at least was) covered under the standard waranty and Applecare. Although my guess is they needed the serial number to confirm if the machine was under warranty or Applecare. If you haven't gotten them replaced yet, I'd call Apple back and complain about the first guy you talked to. Your the customer, they serve you.

Jay42
Oct 6, 2005, 07:32 PM
I would imagine the guys on the phone at Apple look to deal with serious issues. Not to say this isn't serious to "you" but c'mon. Run down to HomeDepot and see what you can find (gotta cost around $.45). I don't like hearing Apple has terrible support over something like this. Its a little piece of replaceable rubber!

Except that a missing rubber foot makes it nearly impossible to type on a laptop. Thats pretty bad to have a $2000 computer that you hate to type on just because Apple won't give you a tiny piece of rubber. They probably lose more money arguing on the phone than if they gave out those feet. That is bad customer service to me.

xwk88
Oct 6, 2005, 09:24 PM
I never worried about the little feet I was missing all of them and had to send my computer in for a hard drive swap and got two free gifts Ilife 05 and all the little feet back. and now just 3 months or so later I have one left the right front one all the others are gone. :D :p

Belly-laughs
Oct 6, 2005, 10:05 PM
I´ve put huge furniture felt pads under my TiBook… I couldn´t be asked finding more aesthetically suitable solutions; I used what was at hand. Now it hovers 3mm above my desk.

WillMak
Oct 7, 2005, 12:21 AM
Except that a missing rubber foot makes it nearly impossible to type on a laptop. Thats pretty bad to have a $2000 computer that you hate to type on just because Apple won't give you a tiny piece of rubber. They probably lose more money arguing on the phone than if they gave out those feet. That is bad customer service to me.

apple gives them out for free @the apple store.