PDA

View Full Version : Emac firewire ports not working

Harreh
Jan 13, 2011, 06:44 PM
Hey there
This is my first post on this forum, I've quite frankly run out of ideas of what i can do...

I've been on a 1.25 GHz Emac for 2 or 3 years now. I use it for pretty much everything, but mostly messing about in logic 7. I have a M audio firewire 410 interface, and daisy chained into that is a Iomega firewire harddrive. Everything has been fine for a long time with the exception of some very occasional digital distortion.

But since sometime last week, my interface hasnt been connecting to my emac properly. When booting up, the interface's blue power light is meant to flash until it connects. But at the moment, it never stops flashing as it never connects.

I initally thought the interface just needed its firmware updated, or had a dodgy cable. But I've also tried plugging my external straight into the emac, and that dosnt mount when its on its own either.

So far I've tried: 2 cold starts, hundreds of restarts/power cycles, zapping PRAM, reseting NVRAM, reinstalling the interface's firmware, installing the "combo update" and using the alternative firewire port. However none of this has worked. :(

I've spent a long time just trying to get it work and i really cant. Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do to get my firewire ports working ??

Strimkind
Jan 14, 2011, 10:32 AM
Try inserting the System CD/DVD, load up disk utility, and plug in the external drive to see if the drive is visible. This would determine if it is a software or hardware issue.

Harreh
Jan 22, 2011, 04:42 PM
hey there
i am terribly sorry for such a late response

i am very appreciative of the reply, but im afraid i cant do that. you see its a second hand mac, and i dont have any of the discs... i bought it about 3 years ago now, so i cant really get my hands on the discs now :(

i would really like some more ideas of what to do, i cant really do much but surf the net on my emac atm, and its my main computer..

666sheep
Jan 23, 2011, 06:08 AM
Remove battery and reset PMU. Does your eMac see anything connected via FW in ASP or DU?

As it's 1.25 GHz one, you can remove main cover and inspect caps on logic board.

Nameci
Jan 23, 2011, 06:32 AM
How would bad caps affect firewire functionality?

666sheep
Jan 23, 2011, 07:26 AM
They could produce bus power malfunctions. Bad caps in PSU too.