Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zackkmac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Denver
I'm looking into creating a simple tab-style application for my high school that gets all of its information off the school's website. It's just for students to look up quick info, like announcements and stuff. For example, it will have maybe a tab that says "Menu" and pulls up the menu for lunch off the site, and a couple of other very similar tabs.

If I were to hire a developer, how much should an app like this cost me to get developed? I tried understanding Xcode and the SDK but so far it's way too much for me.

SDub90

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Long Island
I can't answer your question (it depends on too many things - you're better off contacting someone directly with a lot more descriptive request), but I just wanted to throw this out there:

Have you considered creating a web app so students can just go to http://app.myschool.org?

It'll be much easier and cheaper than creating a full blown app and students can add it to their homescreen if they'd like.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Yeah, when you have an app that is based on mostly web content, you have to ask yourself when considering a native app: what does it offer in terms of value that you couldn't offer with simply a web app? If nothing, is it really worth it then?

Also, have you considered giving the students an opportunity to do this project?

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
Yeah, when you have an app that is based on mostly web content, you have to ask yourself when considering a native app: what does it offer in terms of value that you couldn't offer with simply a web app? If nothing, is it really worth it then?

Also, have you considered giving the students an opportunity to do this project?

Or the OP could just set the appropriate pages as the default home pages in the students web-browser. No application required at all - all the students have to do is click the Web-Browser, and its right there.

zackkmac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Denver
I have been considering the "WebApp" path, rather than making an actual application, since it would assist more students than just those with iOS devices. I'm a senior at this school and I was asked about this project by one of my teachers, so we're currently looking into it and will definitely have help from the student body if this project gets an approval. But basically this is an app/site for students to use when they aren't at school so they are able to retrieve information on announcements, assignments, lunch menus, debts, etc. And all of this is already on the school's website, but it is a hard-to-find site, therefore we would like to put it in a convenient app. So setting the site as the student's homepage is not what I'm looking for, though it already is the homepage of all of the school's computers.

How do I go about making mobile version of a site that already exists? Better yet, would it be easy enough for me to do so, or should I try to hire someone for this? I'm pretty experienced with computers, just new to coding apps.

Thanks for the help by the way.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
I have been considering the "WebApp" path, rather than making an actual application, since it would assist more students than just those with iOS devices. I'm a senior at this school and I was asked about this project by one of my teachers, so we're currently looking into it and will definitely have help from the student body if this project gets an approval. But basically this is an app/site for students to use when they aren't at school so they are able to retrieve information on announcements, assignments, lunch menus, debts, etc. And all of this is already on the school's website, but it is a hard-to-find site, therefore we would like to put it in a convenient app. So setting the site as the student's homepage is not what I'm looking for, though it already is the homepage of all of the school's computers.

How do I go about making mobile version of a site that already exists? Better yet, would it be easy enough for me to do so, or should I try to hire someone for this? I'm pretty experienced with computers, just new to coding apps.

Thanks for the help by the way.

It seems to me what you actually want to do is publicise and improve the schools website - this is a lot easier than writing a app, and more maintainable once you leave in a years time.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
There are ways to design a web site so that it can be downloaded and run completely offline as a web clipping, even with its own custom icon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.