Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jungleJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
First off, hello to everyone on the forums. I have only been on Mac systems for about 5 years, so I am glad to be a part of a community that's knowledge far exceeds my own.

My friend just gave me a gutted Dual 2ghz G5. It has the optical drive, motherboard, CPUs, and fans. The PCI cards, HDDs, and DDR was stripped from it. The serial dates it to late 2003, which evidently means it uses a PCI-e video card. That's what powerbookmedic.com tells me when I look it up by serial, but when I look at Apple's specs (http://support.apple.com/kb/sp96) it states that it uses an AGP. Could anyone provide some clarification? Also, the machine receives power and the LEDs light up when the power button is pressed on the front panel. That's a good sign, I guess.

Below I have included some pics with questions regarding each. I want to get this up and running for the least amount of dough possible! Sorry if they're a little big. Hopefully the forum re-sizes them for an optimal display. The quality is shoddy as they're from my BlackBerry. Can't wait to get my Verizon iPhone next month!

2hgdcv5.jpg

I assume these 8 slots are the DDR slots? Knowing that it is only expandable up to 8GB, one would assume you can only put 1GB sticks in each slot? Also, is this 400MHz DDR?

w6r3sx.jpg

These three wires and the open socket behind them troubles me. One appears to be a power prong and the other two have some sort of metal connectors that I have never seen before. Can anyone provide some insight as to what they used to be connected to and what plugs into the socket on the board? I hope this wasn't the cooling unit or something important.

2ebfwh1.jpg

This assumably is the HDD bay. From the looks of it, it supports two SATA drives. The serial sticker states it had a 250GB HDD. Do I need to install another 250GB or can I upgrade to my liking?

29kor4o.jpg

Here's a view of the expansion bay. I know the top 3 are PCI slots, but is the bottom one the PCI-e? I remember from my old Windoze machine building days that AGP slots were brown and didn't have the extra connector to the left. What would be the cheapest, barebones card that has a DVI out? This will never run anything more intense, graphic-wise, than Firefox and Logic.

2q34ys3.jpg

Lastly, what are these gray numbered bays for?

I hope you can put up with all my n00b questions. This is only my second Mac and the other one I have is a MacBook Pro, so I am not very familiar with pre-Intel stuff nor internals. Thanks in advanced for your help.

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
:)

First off, hello to everyone on the forums. I have only been on Mac systems for about 5 years, so I am glad to be a part of a community that's knowledge far exceeds my own.

My friend just gave me a gutted Dual 2ghz G5. It has the optical drive, motherboard, CPUs, and fans. The PCI cards, HDDs, and DDR was stripped from it. The serial dates it to late 2003, which evidently means it uses a PCI-e video card. That's what powerbookmedic.com tells me when I look it up by serial, but when I look at Apple's specs (http://support.apple.com/kb/sp96) it states that it uses an AGP. Could anyone provide some clarification? Also, the machine receives power and the LEDs light up when the power button is pressed on the front panel. That's a good sign, I guess.

Even the 2004 Power Macs are AGP. See, there were lots of different dual 2GBz models made, and you have an earlier one.
Below I have included some pics with questions regarding each. I want to get this up and running for the least amount of dough possible! Sorry if they're a little big. Hopefully the forum re-sizes them for an optimal display. The quality is shoddy as they're from my BlackBerry. Can't wait to get my Verizon iPhone next month!

I assume these 8 slots are the DDR slots? Knowing that it is only expandable up to 8GB, one would assume you can only put 1GB sticks in each slot? Also, is this 400MHz DDR?
Yes, yes, and yes. :)

These three wires and the open socket behind them troubles me. One appears to be a power prong and the other two have some sort of metal connectors that I have never seen before. Can anyone provide some insight as to what they used to be connected to and what plugs into the socket on the board? I hope this wasn't the cooling unit or something important.
Those appear to be SATA power cables.

This assumably is the HDD bay. From the looks of it, it supports two SATA drives. The serial sticker states it had a 250GB HDD. Do I need to install another 250GB or can I upgrade to my liking?

You can upgrade to your liking.
Here's a view of the expansion bay. I know the top 3 are PCI slots, but is the bottom one the PCI-e? I remember from my old Windoze machine building days that AGP slots were brown and didn't have the extra connector to the left. What would be the cheapest, barebones card that has a DVI out? This will never run anything more intense, graphic-wise, than Firefox and Logic.

It seems to be the AGP slot. Apple wouldn't dare make a slot brown. They are indeed brown on Windows boxes. Your machine came with a Radeon 9600 Pro, I believe. Pick one of those up; anything less and the graphics experience will be truly painful.

They look like slots to hold up the edges of PCI/AGP cards.
I hope you can put up with all my n00b questions. This is only my second Mac and the other one I have is a MacBook Pro, so I am not very familiar with pre-Intel stuff nor internals. Thanks in advanced for your help.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
AS well as what iMPathetic states above about a Radeon Pro... if you can find a better card that is Mac Compatible (ie pulled from a newer AGP Mac or specially made such as the 9800Pro Mac Edition) then that should also work, and may be even better. (I think 9800 Pro is the limit for these but I may be wrong).

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio

http://i55.tinypic.com/2hgdcv5.jpg
Yes. I believe that one took PC2700 333mhz memory but it will run PC3200 400mhz(usually cheaper too) so I'd get that to be sure. 1gb sticks are what you want. Just remember that DDR is quite expensive so you can fill them up with smaller dimms if you don't need 8gb of memory

http://i52.tinypic.com/w6r3sx.jpg
Those 2 with the metal ends are for your bluetooth and airport extreme wifi cards. Those are the antenna wires, they run to the back of the G5. You can see the 2 ports on the back in which you need to plug in external antennas for them to work. The other 2 prong is your modem so that plugs into your modem card so you can fax or whatever. Don't think anyone still uses dialup any more :p.

http://i52.tinypic.com/2ebfwh1.jpg
You can put whatever sized SATA drives in there, up to 3TB drives currently. Stick with 7,200rpm drives though for better performance since you'll be booting from it.

http://i56.tinypic.com/29kor4o.jpg
Your G5 uses AGP 8x graphic cards. That little port to the right is a power port so if you get a graphics card with an ADC slot, it will power your Apple Cinema Display so it's not really important. Best bang for buck card I'd recommend is a ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. You can find them cheap on ebay if you buy a PC one and then flash it with a Mac rom, very easy to do BTW.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2q34ys3.jpg
These number the PCI/AGP slots. The gray plastic bracket supports full-length PCI/AGP cards.

jungleJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
THANKS to all.. This is going to make for a very cheap backup for my MBP. The most bare-bone graphic card will do it for me as I will rarely run anything more intense on it than viewing movies.

Your G5 uses AGP 8x graphic cards. That little port to the right is a power port so if you get a graphics card with an ADC slot, it will power your Apple Cinema Display so it's not really important. Best bang for buck card I'd recommend is a ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. You can find them cheap on ebay if you buy a PC one and then flash it with a Mac rom, very easy to do BTW.

Oh wow. Thanks for this tidbit. Could you refer me to a post or site where I can read how to flash the card?

RedElectro

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
United Kingdom
Sound advice and knowledge as usual from the forum guys. I've found this place great so far.

I've currently got a similar project going on with a DP G5 and it can become a bit of an obsession! lol

I've just upgraded the internal drive to 2TB with no problems whatsoever! I got a Western Digital Caviar Black (after reading the reviews) and it's running great.

After starting off as a Mac for the "minimum amount of cash" project - I have ended up getting a bit carried away and so far have:

Installed a 2TB drive
Installed an 11n Wifi Card
Fitted a new Battery
Fitted Bluetooth
Installed Leopard (from Tiger)
Bought a 20" Apple Cinema Display, Magic Mouse and Apple Keyboard

I'm looking at Ram and Graphics card update next!

I think I would've been better off just buying an iMac! :D

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
That black socket next to the bluetooth wire on that picture is for the cooling fan array... I assume you removed it to take pics? If not you must have it otherwise your CPUs will cook...

jungleJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
Quick question for all: Does anyone know if it's possible to clear the serial and re-write it in the NVRAM? Apparently, this thing had a logic board swap because when I flashed my old PC Radeon 9600 and stuck in some spare DDR and an HDD, the "About This Mac" screen displayed a serial different than the one inside the case.

I've currently got a similar project going on with a DP G5 and it can become a bit of an obsession! lol

You're telling me.. I used to build my Windoze machines before I switched over to Mac 5 years ago. Oh, they money I sank into them. Good thing I already have a display and the Apple wireless Keyboard/Mouse for my laptop. I use a BookArc to secure it as a "desktop" for recording on ProTools. Shame PPC can't run ProTools9 or I would never use my laptop for recording again.

That black socket next to the bluetooth wire on that picture is for the cooling fan array... I assume you removed it to take pics? If not you must have it otherwise your CPUs will cook...

Wow, thanks. Good thing I only turned it on for a few seconds. I don't see anything that would plug into the socket. Is this coming from the back fans or am I missing something inside?

Last edited:

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
Quick question for all: Does anyone know if it's possible to clear the serial and re-write it in the NVRAM? Apparently, this thing had a logic board swap because when I flashed my old PC Radeon 9600 and stuck in some spare DDR and an HDD, the "About This Mac" screen displayed a serial different to the one inside the case.

Im pretty sure you cant by design, as the Serial number is the way of identifying the machine.

jungleJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
So you didn't pull the the dual fan assembly in front of the CPUs? uh-oh!

DUNDUNDUN. Thankfully I only left it on for less than 10 seconds. They should be fine.

I need to buy this I'm assuming? Thankfully it's not the liquid setup. That would cost a pretty penny.

RedElectro

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
United Kingdom
How are you finding it, speed-wise?

In all honesty... It doesn't seem that much different from my MacBook Pro i7 (and that's the truth).

Sometimes when you're typing loads of text in a browser it starts to slow down a little, but I'm not sure why and using the Microsoft Office 2008 is terrible! You can't really use it, it's that slow!

Adobe CS4 stuff works great! No speed problems at all!

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
In all honesty... It doesn't seem that much different from my MacBook Pro i7 (and that's the truth).

I've made another observation. Back in the days I had a 2GHz DualCore G5 (latest 2005 model) with 256MB graphics, 8GB Ram and fast hard drives.

After I purchased a 2007 MBP with 2.4GHz, 256MB VRAM and 4GB RAM, I noticed how slow the G5 really is.

Unless you've got a Quad, every Intel machine will beat the crap out of a G5. Period.

However, depending on the specific workload, it might be the case that a decent equipped G5 still performs very well for some people.

RedElectro

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
United Kingdom
I think it's to do with the software your using too. Like I said, the Microsoft stuff (2008) is actually unusable... but the Adobe CS4 suite runs brilliantly for me.

I'm currently trying to save money for a Mac Pro! I might get there one day - if I can stop spending money on the G5!! I'm happy with this at the minute though... as long as you understand that there's not really many new versions of software that's going to support it, it's still a very usable machine.

vohdoun

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
Far away from Earth.
Sound advice and knowledge as usual from the forum guys. I've found this place great so far.

I've just upgraded the internal drive to 2TB with no problems whatsoever! I got a Western Digital Caviar Black (after reading the reviews) and it's running great.

After starting off as a Mac for the "minimum amount of cash" project - I have ended up getting a bit carried away and so far have:

Installed a 2TB drive

Installed an 11n Wifi Card
Fitted a new Battery
Fitted Bluetooth
Installed Leopard (from Tiger)
Bought a 20" Apple Cinema Display, Magic Mouse and Apple Keyboard

I'm looking at Ram and Graphics card update next!

I think I would've been better off just buying an iMac! :D

Which? non apple? and is the bluetooth a thumb stick?

Was the Western Digital, Caviar Black 2TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache? very pricy.

RedElectro

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
United Kingdom
Bluetooth from eBay - Mini Bluetooth 2.0+EDR USB Adaptor for Mac OS X /PC (worked without any drivers - just plugged it in and it worked - which is good, because I somehow managed to cut through the CD while opening the packaging! :p )

Wireless Card (Also from eBay) - Airport Extreme 11n Wireless Card for G3/G4/G5 Mac OS X (Little bit more tricky setting up, but works fine).

The WD Drive was around £120 again from eBay, the first one I got was faulty but the seller replaced it free of charge.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.