PDA

View Full Version : iBook G3 as a file server

Corbin052198
Jan 14, 2011, 03:28 PM
I am working on making a linux iBook G3 into a Mac OS X 10.4 File Server. I have yet to format the HD and install OS X, but before I do, can anyone give me some advice on Mac file servers?

Also, is there any way to make the server use an IP address? I want to use it with a linux netbook running Ubuntu, and an IP seems required.

MacForScience
Jan 14, 2011, 05:02 PM
I am working on making a linux iBook G3 into a Mac OS X 10.4 File Server. I have yet to format the HD and install OS X, but before I do, can anyone give me some advice on Mac file servers?

Also, is there any way to make the server use an IP address? I want to use it with a linux netbook running Ubuntu, and an IP seems required.

What are you going to do with this fileserver?

Music, video, images or just for fun?

Cheers

chrismacguy
Jan 14, 2011, 05:41 PM

If its for anything more than messing around or very very light server work I would highly recommend against using a iBook G3 as a fileserver. A better option would be to get a $10 or less (can even be free) PowerMac G4 to use as a server as it has faster HDs, and is much easier to mess about with/fix when things go wrong, and you have the option of even adding SATA in later.

Corbin052198
Jan 15, 2011, 05:45 PM
What are you going to do with this fileserver?

Music, video, images or just for fun?

Cheers

Just basic files. Documents, virtual hard drive images, cd images, etc.

If its for anything more than messing around or very very light server work I would highly recommend against using a iBook G3 as a fileserver. A better option would be to get a $10 or less (can even be free) PowerMac G4 to use as a server as it has faster HDs, and is much easier to mess about with/fix when things go wrong, and you have the option of even adding SATA in later.

At the most, I will be using it for very light server usage. Mostly, I will use it as a wireless 20 GB flash drive.

Angelo95210
Jan 15, 2011, 06:32 PM
I think if you want to let this on 24/24 this is not a good idea. Something will burn after a few months and you will have pain to find the spare parts...

chrismacguy
Jan 15, 2011, 06:54 PM
Just basic files. Documents, virtual hard drive images, cd images, etc.

At the most, I will be using it for very light server usage. Mostly, I will use it as a wireless 20 GB flash drive.

If you plan on running VMs using Networked Hard Disks it wont work, and it should be shut down often (Leaving a laptop that old on 24/7 is asking for it to die or burn..)

Corbin052198
Jan 16, 2011, 12:37 PM
If you plan on running VMs using Networked Hard Disks it wont work, and it should be shut down often (Leaving a laptop that old on 24/7 is asking for it to die or burn..)

I think if you want to let this on 24/24 this is not a good idea. Something will burn after a few months and you will have pain to find the spare parts...

Perhaps an iBook as a file server is not a good idea.......

Maybe I will just use it as an external hard drive... :o

chrismacguy
Jan 16, 2011, 12:54 PM
Perhaps an iBook as a file server is not a good idea.......

Maybe I will just use it as an external hard drive... :o

If you want a file-server, as I suggested above, you really cant go wrong with a G4 Tower - especially since it will likely be free thesedays (I have 2 G4 towers in use as Servers, 1 G4/450 for my Files, VirtualBox HD Images and other Junk)and a Dual 867 G4 for all my Music (Having a separate computer just to store my iTunes Library really speeds things up)

raysfan81
Jan 19, 2011, 09:11 PM
If you want a file-server, as I suggested above, you really cant go wrong with a G4 Tower - especially since it will likely be free thesedays (I have 2 G4 towers in use as Servers, 1 G4/450 for my Files, VirtualBox HD Images and other Junk)and a Dual 867 G4 for all my Music (Having a separate computer just to store my iTunes Library really speeds things up)

A G4 is a great idea because you can get one for pretty cheap. If you want to go even cheaper you could get a B&W G3 tower sometimes people will give them away on craigslist and I've seen them on ebay for as little as $10.

chrismacguy
Jan 20, 2011, 04:22 AM
A G4 is a great idea because you can get one for pretty cheap. If you want to go even cheaper you could get a B&W G3 tower sometimes people will give them away on craigslist and I've seen them on ebay for as little as $10.

To add to that I have even begun to see G4 AGP Towers go for free or pennies now (And the prices on the higher end G4s have plummeted)

SimonUK5
Jan 20, 2011, 06:20 AM

Man that makes me feel bad that i gave away both my imac G3's and my B&W tower :(

chrismacguy
Jan 20, 2011, 09:55 AM
Man that makes me feel bad that i gave away both my imac G3's and my B&W tower :(

Heh... some of us hoard the machines, which is ultimately worse (One day I will have every model ever made.. mwhahahahahahaha)

SimonUK5
Jan 20, 2011, 11:51 AM
Heh... some of us hoard the machines, which is ultimately worse (One day I will have every model ever made.. mwhahahahahahaha)

Yeah :( I had one off all the G3's! and was going to go for all the G4's :) But space is a No-no! So iBook G3's went, imacs and the powermac :( So all i ahve now is a Powerbook g3 and a Powermac g4 :)