PDA

View Full Version : Maybe a weird question, but here goes

BacklitFirefly
Jan 14, 2011, 07:49 PM
How many of you went to college for programming? Is that necessary to learn Cocoa/Objective-C? To write iPhone/iPad apps?

cnstoll
Jan 14, 2011, 07:54 PM
I went to college for programming. I think college is a very effective way to learn the foundations of computer science that enable you to quickly learn a programming language such as Objective-C, or a framework like Cocoa. But I don't think it's required to write iPhone apps. Having said that, the level of sophistication you'll be able to achieve in an app will be limited based on your education and experience. But just to get started? No, not required.

BacklitFirefly
Jan 15, 2011, 03:34 PM
Thanks. I have some background in programming. I did basic in the 80s, then picked up markup and scripting languages from the 90s to the present, but I'd really like to learn Cocoa/Objective-C and write apps. Is it possible for someone to try going it alone, do you think?

balamw
Jan 15, 2011, 04:07 PM
Thanks. I have some background in programming. I did basic in the 80s, then picked up markup and scripting languages from the 90s to the present, but I'd really like to learn Cocoa/Objective-C and write apps. Is it possible for someone to try going it alone, do you think?

The transition to object oriented code can be daunting for some, but anyone who is not afraid of computers should be able to pick up enough to build simple apps. (Even folks who didn't go to college).

B