Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bakari45

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010
I have to say, I really like the using the trackpad on the Air, especially the hand gestures for navigating web pages and such. However, I will be going out of town for two weeks and it will be first time that I‘ll to do all my typing on the Air instead of my desktop computer. On my desktop, I primarily use the mouse. I‘m not much into keyboard shortcuts. QuicKeys 4.0 enables me to activate menus and keyboard shortcuts, so I don't have to remember all the shortcuts. (In fact, I have two QuicKeys shortcuts that enable me to quickly select the last letter or word I typed without using the Delete key. It’s not perfect, but it beats having to raise my fingers to reach the Delete key every time I make typing error.)

So I‘m wondering if I should splurge for a wireless mouse of the Air? Something tells I might need one in order to get writing and other things done quicker. Or should I just learn to use the trackpad because it’s better than the mouse?

How many of you use a mouse with your Air? Or do you mainly stay with the trackpad?

BTW, my use of the mouse on my desktop is not limited to just typing. I use it a lot to navigate applications, make selective screen shots, and drag stuff from app or Finder to another.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
I purchased the magic mouse when I got my mba and I can't stand it. Not only does it not glide as smoothly as my Microsoft or Logitech mice but the mouse acceleration (which I believe is a function of the OS) I find horrendous. I'm thinking about getting a logitech mouse and hopefully the setpoint drivers allow me to adjust the acceleration (turn it off).

While I'm not saying not to get a mouse, I am suggesting not to get the Magic Mouse.

Laes

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2011
I purchased the magic mouse when I got my mba and I can't stand it. Not only does it not glide as smoothly as my Microsoft or Logitech mice but the mouse acceleration (which I believe is a function of the OS) I find horrendous. I'm thinking about getting a logitech mouse and hopefully the setpoint drivers allow me to adjust the acceleration (turn it off).

While I'm not saying not to get a mouse, I am suggesting not to get the Magic Mouse.

I'd recommend downloading SteerMouse for turning off mouse acceleration, I use it and it's great.

Other than that I just use a Logitech MX518 I use on my desktop, it works fine and feels like it does on Windows when using SteerMouse

Bakari45

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010
I'd recommend downloading SteerMouse for turning off mouse acceleration, I use it and it's great.

Other than that I just use a Logitech MX518 I use on my desktop, it works fine and feels like it does on Windows when using SteerMouse

Oh most definitely. I make heavy use of SteerMouse on my desktop. So yeah, I’m thinking I might need to do the same thing for the MBA, especially for when it comes to navigating apps and such. I’ll check out the Logitech mouse. Thanx.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Not to be contrary ... but I actually like the Magic Mouse with the MacBook Air. I tend to have the computer elevated on a laptop "stand" or a pillow to bring the display closer for easier reading while sitting in a recliner watching TV. For simple net-surfing, having the Magic Mouse on my leg, or the arm of the chair is more comfortable than reaching up to the trackpad. With the gesture features of the Magic Mouse, I can control almost all of the navigation needs without touching the keyboard.

I also like using the bluetooth external TrackPad for the same reasons.

BTW - I also like the Logitech mice and can do almost the same thing by programming the additional buttons with SteerMouse for advanced navigation functions. Too bad it isn't bluetooth so I wouldn't need the USB antenna sticking out of the computer.

-howard

Bakari45

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010

Yeah, I bought the Magic Mouse for the desktop, but I rarely use it. It’s just not fast and functional. I probably need to sell it. I even tried using it along side my regular mouse and I still ended up not liking it. For some reason it’s just not as fast as a regular mouse, especially in using it with the Steer Mouse plug-in.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
Hey guys ... trackpad is great, but sometimes it's more convenient to use a mouse, nice for a change too.

If you're going to buy a mouse I suggest the "Anywhere mouse" by Logitech. It's usb with a tiny dongle, not blue tooth but it works perfect on any surface ... you can use it on your jeans, glass table etc.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
All in one is what I want

It amazes me how many people talk about using an external mouse (or trackpad of any kind) with their MBA. One of the things I like most about my 11.6" MBA is its portability. It is light and I can take it and use it anywhere. I can't imagine the hinderance of having to drag something else along with it.

Part of the reason I like the new MBA 11.6" is because its battery last so much longer that I don't even need to take the adapter either...

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
It amazes me how many people talk about using an external mouse (or trackpad of any kind) with their MBA. One of the things I like most about my 11.6" MBA is its portability. It is light and I can take it and use it anywhere. I can't imagine the hinderance of having to drag something else along with it.

Part of the reason I like the new MBA 11.6" is because its battery last so much longer that I don't even need to take the adapter either...

I guess the fact that people can also use their MBA on a desk and NOT take their mouse with them when they port it around slipped past you? I have the convenience of a mouse when I want it, while still keeping all the portability you've got.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
I guess the fact that people can also use their MBA on a desk and NOT take their mouse with them when they port it around slipped past you? I have the convenience of a mouse when I want it, while still keeping all the portability you've got.

That is a good point. But, for me personally, I think I would prefer to not ever use a mouse so I continue to get more efficient at using the trackpad.

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
I also hated the magic mouse at first, but have really gotten used to it and really like it. However, I only use it with the imac - I prefer the trackpad when using the laptop.

major7

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2010
Porto, Portugal
I always hated trackpads until i got the air. I now only use the mouse to play games...i have a razer orochi (bluetooth) and it works flawless.... so much talk abou mouse acceleration....never noticed anything out of the ordinary.

Ah...i dont understand one thing...if you're typing with both hands what's the difference on clicking on the mouse or the Delete key? u have to move your hand for both actions. it's just a matter of habit.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
That is a good point. But, for me personally, I think I would prefer to not ever use a mouse so I continue to get more efficient at using the trackpad.

To each their own. I've been using track pads and mice for years, my efficiency has peaked on either device. Sometimes a mouse is just easier to use, depending on what you're doing.

Bakari45

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010
Ah...i dont understand one thing...if you're typing with both hands what's the difference on clicking on the mouse or the Delete key? u have to move your hand for both actions. it's just a matter of habit.

Major, the Delete key seems further away up on the MBA keyboard than on my regular Apple desktop keyboard. So it feels like a little strain to keep pressing it. I’m a poor typist.

So with QuicKeys, I created a shortcut that when I type “jj” it selects the last word I typed. When I type “hh” it selects the last letter. When I use these triggers it keeps me from having to hit the Delete key. I just have to remember to use them. I also use Spell Catcher which quickly correctly misspellings and typos.

I think I just need to get used to typing on the MBA keyboard, because it definitely has a different feel to it. I typically type resting my palms on the area in front of the keyboard. I’m not sure if that’s the correct way to do it. But for some reason I seem to be not typing as efficiently as I do on the desktop keyboard.

gloryunited

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2010
I always hated trackpads until i got the air. I now only use the mouse to play games.

Exact same case here!

I relied so much on mice before my MBA (my first mac) and now I only use a mouse for games.

As for the OP's concern, it's always nice to have a mouse with you just in case. But IMHO, you should really learn to use the trackpad AND some keyboard shortcuts mainly because you are using an MBA. :D

With that said, if you are going out of town very soon, you should of course bring a mouse with you. In the long run, it's better to master the trackpad!

Bakari45

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010
Exact same case here!

With that said, if you are going out of town very soon, you should of course bring a mouse with you. In the long run, it's better to master the trackpad!

Yeah, I think I‘m going to because something tells me that without the mouse I’m not going to be as productive. I feel kinda lame getting a mouse for the MBA, but that’s the reality of it.

gb1631

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2009
PNW Puget Sound
I decided to get the Apple magic mouse after a few weeks using the pad. I guess I'm just use to using a mouse and missed it. I'll most likely only use it when I'm not traveling and have the MBA set-up as a desktop on vacations at our time share, etc. :D

jace88

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney, Australia
I found the MBA trackpad to be great but because it's so large and close to the bottom of the laptop, I also find my hand/palm resting on the edge of the laptop (or on the table edge which it's resting on) as I use it and this isnt that comfortable hence why a mouse is sometimes better.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
People think I'm crazy for preferring trackpad over mouse. But not all trackpads, just the MacBook Pro ones. See, most of the people that say I'm crazy for using the trackpad are used to crappy Windows netbook trackpads *shudder*

patrixl

Suspended
Jun 19, 2009
People think I'm crazy for preferring trackpad over mouse. But not all trackpads, just the MacBook Pro ones. See, most of the people that say I'm crazy for using the trackpad are used to crappy Windows netbook trackpads *shudder*

My situation is the same... I even bought a Magic Trackpad and a lot were wondering why I wanted that instead of a mouse!!!

I love the Apple trackpads.

size100

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2010
OSX has annoying mouse problems(acc along with a few other problems). Its completely unacceptable.

Any mouse made by apple is terrible in my opinion. To put it kindly, their implementation of a mouse is not aimed at users like me. They need to buy a company to design and implement a mouse to OSX. I hope they don't have the guys at apple who designed the hockey puck mouse still working at apple. But, im sure they do.

I use trackpad most of the time. When I go into bootcamp I use a razer deathadder mouse.

Last edited:

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
OSX has annoying mouse problems(acc along with a few other problems). Its completely unacceptable.

Any mouse made by apple is terrible in my opinion. To put it kindly, their implementation of a mouse is not aimed at users like me. They need to buy a company to design and implement a mouse to OSX. I hope they don't have the guys at apple who designed the hockey puck mouse still working at apple. But, im sure they do.

I use trackpad most of the time. When I go into bootcamp I use a razer deathadder mouse.

I don't care much for their mice either - The mighty mouse was an epic fail, and I haven't used the magic mouse yet. I love Apple's trackpads though, and I'd prefer to use the magic trackpad with a desktop mac as opposed to a magic mouse...

BENJMNS

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005

i concur.

i have the magic mouse. it's a pos. it tracks too slow even in the fastest setting. the dragging sucks. good thing is, the air is the first laptop where i don't bring along a mouse. ultimately, the mouse has better control especially when you're dragging files, but the trackpad is good enough where i'm not compelled to carry around yet another accessory for a complete mobile experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.