PDA

View Full Version : PowerMac G5 Dual; still good?

kraunsky
Jan 15, 2011, 01:21 AM
Hey guys.
Forgot I was here! I was thinking of saving up and getting a Mac Pro, but then realized that was not going to happen due to my recent failure at saving money, or making money. I can get a PowerMac Dual-G5 for about $500AUD or maybe a little more. I understand these are rather outdated, but my question being, are these any good for basic tasks such as school work, some developing, web design, etc? I don't plan on running the latest software either as it's all pretty expensive... Should I get one of these?

Cheers,
Joel.

chrismacguy
Jan 15, 2011, 04:22 AM
Hey guys.
Forgot I was here! I was thinking of saving up and getting a Mac Pro, but then realized that was not going to happen due to my recent failure at saving money, or making money. I can get a PowerMac Dual-G5 for about $500AUD or maybe a little more. I understand these are rather outdated, but my question being, are these any good for basic tasks such as school work, some developing, web design, etc? I don't plan on running the latest software either as it's all pretty expensive... Should I get one of these?

Cheers,
Joel.

1. What does some developing entail? Can you give examples of the products you were hoping to use? - Dreamweaver? (and the versions so we can guess how well theyd run on a Dual PowerPC G5)
2. If your only doing light work it probably would be just fine, however make sure you have plenty of RAM whichever machine you get.

kraunsky
Jan 15, 2011, 06:47 AM
1. What does some developing entail? Can you give examples of the products you were hoping to use? - Dreamweaver? (and the versions so we can guess how well theyd run on a Dual PowerPC G5)
2. If your only doing light work it probably would be just fine, however make sure you have plenty of RAM whichever machine you get.
Developing mostly in Dreamweaver CS3 or maybe CS4, also looking into learning Xcode, maybe also developing iPhone apps... I would probably throw 8GB in it.

chrismacguy
Jan 15, 2011, 06:56 AM
Developing mostly in Dreamweaver CS3 or maybe CS4, also looking into learning Xcode, maybe also developing iPhone apps... I would probably throw 8GB in it.

If you want to develop iPhone Apps, you need a Intel Mac - I also recommend getting CS3 or earlier if your going to get the G5, as CS4 can even slow to a crawl on my MacBook. Also, some G5 Dual 2.0 models can only take 4GB RAM, not all take 8GB (Generally depends on the number of slots) - for your use Id suggest either a Intel Mini, or possibly stretch yourself to a used Mac Pro (even the first generation will be much better future proof than a G5).