Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kjyc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
Hi apple fans!

I was wondering if there was an iPad app that allows one to access files directly placed on the device via usb? Sort of like a file manager on a cellphone when I store files on the memory card (like music) and cN then access it directly. Sort of want to prevent going through the whole itunes thing when i need to get out the door pretty quickly. Much help appreciated thanks!

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
If you want to access the root partition (/), or anything outside the "userland" you are going to need to jailbreak.

You can use iFile for a file explorer on the iPad itself

You can use iPhoneExplorer, Phone Disk (both free) or iDisk (paid) to file browser on your computer using USB.

Kjyc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
I see... Looks like only option is to jailbreak... Just wished that the whole process would be made easier with a simple drag and drop into the root memory of the ipad and browse on the go..

Thanks for all the help and quick responses!

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Even with a jailbreak, there isn't an app that does what the OP wants to do, which is drag and drop music into the iPod app without going through iTunes. You can drag and drop music files to a jailbroken iPad, but they won't show up in the iPod app. This is because in order to have them show up in the iPod app, they have to be written into the iTunes database. While there are third party apps that attempts to do that, I've never found one that was completely stable, and also, using them takes the same hassle as using iTunes. So my advice is, just get used to using iTunes, once you get used to it, you'll realize that it doesn't take much more time than drag and drop. I mean, even if you could just drag and drop, it takes a certain amount of time for the music files to transfer over USB, and that time doesn't change whether you are doing it through iTunes or straight drag and drop.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Even with a jailbreak, there isn't an app that does what the OP wants to do, which is drag and drop music into the iPod app without going through iTunes. You can drag and drop music files to a jailbroken iPad, but they won't show up in the iPod app. This is because in order to have them show up in the iPod app, they have to be written into the iTunes database. While there are third party apps that attempts to do that, I've never found one that was completely stable, and also, using them takes the same hassle as using iTunes. So my advice is, just get used to using iTunes, once you get used to it, you'll realize that it doesn't take much more time than drag and drop. I mean, even if you could just drag and drop, it takes a certain amount of time for the music files to transfer over USB, and that time doesn't change whether you are doing it through iTunes or straight drag and drop.

OP said "Files" not Music, while it is true what you say, it is still possible to drag and drop any other files, and even music just to carry around or use a 3er party media player.

Fireballcz

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2011
Night Spring - You are WRONG!!!

Even with a jailbreak, there isn't an app that does what the OP wants to do, which is drag and drop music into the iPod app without going through iTunes....

Do NOT talk things, you do NOT know about!

Have you ever heard about JB PwnTunes ? This app ENABLES drag-and-drop feature to copy media and other files right from your PC/MAC right into your iPad/iPhone/iPod and back - and USE them WITHOUT iTunes. You can play them, watch them, edit them.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Do NOT talk things, you do NOT know about!

Have you ever heard about JB PwnTunes ? This app ENABLES drag-and-drop feature to copy media and other files right from your PC/MAC right into your iPad/iPhone/iPod and back - and USE them WITHOUT iTunes. You can play them, watch them, edit them.

No I hadn't heard of pwntunes. Thanks for letting me know. I'll have to remember to put a disclaimer like "as far as I know" in my posts. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.