Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c.edberg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
I recently purchased a IPOD touch. I am able to connect to my wifi search safari just fine. Here where its gets tricky....I cannot connect to itunes store nor the app store("cannot connect to itunes store")?? (On my notebook I can get on just fine to itunes store) Thought maybe the router I had needed a replacing. Got a new router (netgear n300), same issue. Called comcast to see if any ports were blocked-Negative. I went to apple store and they were dumbfounded. If i go to a diffrent wifi spot i can access itunes store and app store and make facetime calls. But I cannot do this at my house????? Sat on phone with apple and they had no idea what to do. Tried all the basic things i.e. hard restart, restore, renew lease. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I will be more than happy to try any ideas.
Thank you.

LeighAnna Jones

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2010
Is it a new model or is it an old one? (4G, 3Gen, 2G, 1G?)

If you got it used this could probably be one of the reasons that the oringinal owner sold it for.

If you got it directly from the apple store or if it's under warranty you might be able to get a replacement.

c.edberg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
its a new 4th gen 32gb. I bought it from the apple store. When I go there (apple store) I can access itunes store and app store so they wont do anything for me. they say its something in my wifi at home. I AM AT A DEAD END.

LeighAnna Jones

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2010
This is really weird;
You say you can access Safari but not the App Store and iTunes apps?

Is it only not working with your router?

If it works everywhere else then it has to be a problem with the router...

c.edberg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
I assumed it was my router, that why I went out a purchased a new router. And yes safari works great, just can't access the itunes/appstore, and make/recieve facetime???

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
I bought an iPod Touch as a gift for Christmas--two actually--one worked fine but the other had that same problem--Cannot Connect to ITunes. It was not the iPod but the proxy setting on her laptop--Windows 7. So check out the network settings on your computer to see if you can eliminate the problem. She could access the Internet fine--but could not access the iTunes store until the proxy settings were changed.

Last edited:

c.edberg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
Yes i have windows 7. But i guess i am unsure of what you mean by changing the proxy settings?? what to change them to? where to find it??

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Well that is the problem for me--I don't have Windows--and I was in Ohio for the holidays and we were all trying to figure out what was wrong with her computer. Finally her dad found that the proxy setting was enabled in network settings and he unchecked that (I think) and her iPod was able to finally connect to the iTunes store. I do know she did say that Firefox asked her to change proxy settings--so maybe that was part of it as well. Sorry I can't be more help but I wasn't the one who actually went in there and changed the settings.

Last edited:

c.edberg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
Ok i understand what you are saying sbout the proxy settings. Yes I have made sure that the proxy box was unchecked and disabled.

c.edberg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
I got a totally different router and still did nothing. Can use safari on touch just fine, cant access itunes store or app store

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Since it works at Apple Store, it's your ISP / router problem. Contact them for support.

LeighAnna Jones

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2010
Couldn't you just use the iTunes installed on your computer instead of using the app on your iPod? It's what I do since my router/WiFi doesn't work.

And like the person above me said; talk to your router people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.