PDA

View Full Version : Why does the Air sleep so easily?

potentpotable
Jan 15, 2011, 04:31 PM
I just noticed that the Air goes to sleep even when the lid isn't nearly fully closed. I measured that it sleeps with 23mm of space left to fully close.

What's the point of that?

http://i.imgur.com/LyF04.jpg

iExpensive
Jan 15, 2011, 04:33 PM
I guess apple assumed people wouldn't be using it like that.

simsaladimbamba
Jan 15, 2011, 04:33 PM
All my Apple notebooks did/do that too (iBook, MB, MBPs).
What is the point in having the lid 23mm open?

philxor
Jan 15, 2011, 07:18 PM
First a post about the lid falling shut at 95% and now one about the laptop going to sleep at 23mm from closed... My old old MBP was the same. It's pretty hard to accidentally do it and I guess the nice thing is the MBA comes back up very quickly.

MikePA
Jan 15, 2011, 07:37 PM
I just noticed that the Air goes to sleep even when the lid isn't nearly fully closed. I measured that it sleeps with 23mm of space left to fully close.

What's the point of asking this question?

This ranks right up there with "Why does the lid drop shut when it's only 95% closed?" and let's not forget the microscopic chip in the lid caused by the trackpad.

My question is, "Are some people's lives so empty that these things bother them?"

TheRealDamager
Jan 15, 2011, 07:51 PM

This ranks right up there with "Why does the lid drop shut when it's only 95% closed?" and let's not forget the microscopic chip in the lid caused by the trackpad.

My question is, "Are some people's lives so empty that these things bother them?"

The answer that that question is "Yes", unfortunately.

iRun26.2
Jan 15, 2011, 09:40 PM

What's the point in answering the question?

(but I'm guilty of reading and responding too)

Fuchal
Jan 15, 2011, 10:23 PM
Because sleep is activated by magnets and the magnets are close enough to activate.

mrsir2009
Jan 15, 2011, 11:02 PM
My MBP does it too. And umm, why did you measure it?

bowlerman625
Jan 16, 2011, 12:30 AM
I guess apple assumed people wouldn't be using it like that.

funny!

mrsir2009
Jan 16, 2011, 12:57 AM
"I measured that it sleeps with 23mm of space left to fully close."

My measurements for my MBP came up 30mm. :p

TPadden
Jan 16, 2011, 01:20 AM
What's the point in answering the question?

Uh .....probably same as asking it :rolleyes: .... only 96 more meaningless posts before I can post in Politics, Religion, and Social Issues .....:o

mrsir2009
Jan 16, 2011, 01:45 AM
Uh .....probably same as asking it :rolleyes: .... only 96 more meaningless posts before I can post in Politics, Religion, and Social Issues .....:o

Dude your not missing much. All thats going on in there at the moment is a debate about pirating music -_- Even thats not too active :p

2IS
Jan 16, 2011, 03:25 AM

I agree. Just the other day I had this very same thought. It makes so much more sense for the laptop to remain on when the lid is nearly shut like that.

/sarcasm