Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2008
So I see the Engadget report (see link below) has generated threads in the iPad and iPhone forums, but not really in the ATV forum.

One other interesting tidbit: Apple is at work on the second generation of its redesigned Apple TV, which will include that new A5 processor. The CPU is said to be blazingly fast, cranking out 1080p video "like running water."

While it's good news that there might be an ATV that can finally officially support 1080p, I can't help but feel a bit confused about what Apple's plans are.

i) As it's likely the iPhone/iPad/iPod will transition to the new A5 chip, it would make sense to put it into the ATV too in order to use one chip for everything

ii) The current ATV will drop in price and remain a simple device (rent and Airplay only) and the new ATV would be like a Pro model (reintroduce storage - either a large sata hard drive or 16-32 GB flash) supporting 1080p from camcorders, an App Store (and BluRay rips!)

ii) Simply replace the A4 with an A5 and continue to only support 720p output, but enable an App Store for current and next gen ATVs.

It doesn't seem to make sense for Apple to have a 1080p ATV while iTunes movies are limited to 720p (and probably will be until 2012/13 when the successor to h.264 is finalised).

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
One of the best things to happen to the Apple TV was moving it to iOS and the same ARM based architecture as that of the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad. Now we're seeing regular updates along with all the other iOS devices. And it looks like they plan on making regular hardware updates too. It's no longer a forgotten product. I bet the 1 million+ in sales and increased iTunes rentals had a lot to do with that! And none of that would have happened without removing the hard drive, moving away from Intel, and dropping the price down to $99.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I really hope they introduce storage again. That's the only reason I've not upgraded my current Apple TV. Streaming doesn't really work well - there's lag when fast forwarding, lag when browsing my library, and it means I have to have my laptop hooked up to my external drives all the time.

I'm not too fussed about 1080p - it would be nice for movies, but all the TV shows I acquire are 720p, which is what the main use of my Apple TV is.

I just wish they'd give the option to plug in a hard drive by USB. Saves having to sync everything over the air if it's a big file, and means that I can have everything on my Apple TV.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Yeah, I don't see them doing two Apple TV SKUs with different processing hardware, and I don't see them shipping a hard drive or offering a Pro model.

Maybe they'll allow an external drive, but adding a notebook SATA drive would drive up the cost (defeating the purpose of the new pricing).

Sort of off topic, but I'm ready for a Time Capsule and AirPort Extreme that are about the size of the new Apple TV. The Time Capsule especially is huge compared to the Apple TV. Move that sucker to notebook drives and make it user swappable then it would be a day 1 buy for me.

Last edited:

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
I really hope they introduce storage again. That's the only reason I've not upgraded my current Apple TV. Streaming doesn't really work well - there's lag when fast forwarding, lag when browsing my library, and it means I have to have my laptop hooked up to my external drives all the time.

I'm not too fussed about 1080p - it would be nice for movies, but all the TV shows I acquire are 720p, which is what the main use of my Apple TV is.

I just wish they'd give the option to plug in a hard drive by USB. Saves having to sync everything over the air if it's a big file, and means that I can have everything on my Apple TV.

I don't know about the original but with the new Apple TV, streaming locally is like having the file stored locally when it comes to fast forwarding and rewinding, slow motion, the 30 second skipforward, 10 second skipback, and other playback controls on the new ATV. There is no lag or unresponsiveness at all unlike other streaming methods like DLNA or what you say you experienced on the original. Someone who has owned both should be able to confirm if streaming was improved. The new one uses Home Sharing so we know they are different in that respect.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I don't know about the original but with the new Apple TV, streaming locally is like having the file stored locally when it comes to fast forwarding and rewinding, slow motion, the 30 second skipforward, 10 second skipback, and other playback controls on the new ATV. There is no lag or unresponsiveness at all unlike other streaming methods like DLNA or what you say you experienced on the original. Someone who has owned both should be able to confirm if streaming was improved. The new one uses Home Sharing so we know they are different in that respect.

Your Apple TV on WiFi or Ethernet?

Still, even if streaming is better, it still requires a host computer to be on. It's nice to have everything all stored locally on the Apple TV.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2008
One of the best things to happen to the Apple TV was moving it to iOS and the same ARM based architecture as that of the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad. Now we're seeing regular updates along with all the other iOS devices. And it looks like they plan on making regular hardware updates too. It's no longer a forgotten product. I bet the 1 million+ in sales and increased iTunes rentals had a lot to do with that! And none of that would have happened without removing the hard drive, moving away from Intel, and dropping the price down to $99.

But what's the point of an annual hardware upgrade with the unit as-is?

The update to 1080p is pointless unless iOS allows multiple output resolutions/frequencies. Even if this happens, there still won't be any 1080p content from Apple. And what about the year after that when the A6 chip is released - what will the benefits be then?

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
But what's the point of an annual hardware upgrade with the unit as-is?

The update to 1080p is pointless unless iOS allows multiple output resolutions/frequencies. Even if this happens, there still won't be any 1080p content from Apple. And what about the year after that when the A6 chip is released - what will the benefits be then?

One word: marketing. Since the apple tv 2 was released, every review complained about not being 1080p regardless of content availability. Further the uninformed masses are complaining about it as well (including users at this forum). Apple pretty much has to add 1080p even if it nothing more than a placebo.

powerman

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2010
I will be in the market for a second apple tv 2g. I think i will wait to see what will happen. I too would like to see the ability to attach an external hd to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.