Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fowler.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
Pasadena
I'm really confused right now.

My room mate got Earthlink dsl. I'm assuming the good stuff since he pays around $50 a month.

But the download speeds really suck. They top out around 40kb/s. But when I look at my activity monitor, it says incoming traffic is 80kb/s.

Why would that be? Is there anything I can do to remedy this aside from switching to a better provider?

Norouzi

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
What exactly are you doing when your getting this download speed. Remember that when downloading it not only depends on what your connection is, but how much bandwitdth the site your trying to download from has available. For example, I could have a T1 connection, but might only get a download of 20k/s simply because that's the maximum available bandwidth that the server I'm trying to download from allows.

fowler.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
Pasadena
I've never seen it go above 40kb/s. I go to apple and that's as fast as it goes. I transfer files over aim and that's how fast it goes.

It's not them, it's me.

Norouzi

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
In that case, I'd say call earthlink and ask them. They have really good mac support and were always able to help me when I had them. They should be able to test your speed and tell you what's up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.