PDA

View Full Version : How much would it cost...

mrgreen4242
Jan 31, 2005, 12:44 PM
For MR to upgrade their server? I'm not trying to be smarmy or anything, but whenever there is any sort of big story the servers get hammered and it's difficult to use the ret of the forums.

What kind of hosting do you use for this site? Do you lease the servers or own them? It doesn't seem like you have a bandwidth problem, just that the server can't keep up. So how much are we talking to get a little upgrade? This problems only going to get worse, with the iPod selling so well and the Mini hopefully bringing switchers in...

How much do you get for banner ad clicks? I'll have to start remembering to click on them everytime I come here... Also, do you have some sort of advertising crisis? Seems like all I ever get are U of Phoenix ads anymore...

You guys run a great site here, and I am thankful that it is free and all, I just wish it wasn't so bad when big news comes in.

Rob

edesignuk
Jan 31, 2005, 12:46 PM
What kind of hosting do you use for this site?
MR is run off of 2 Linux boxes, one for the forums/db, and one for the frontpage.

(This question was posted the other day, and Mudbug answered it ;))

mrgreen4242
Jan 31, 2005, 12:53 PM
MR is run off of 2 Linux boxes, one for the forums/db, and one for the frontpage.

(This question was posted the other day, and Mudbug answered it ;))

D'oh, sorry, should've searched! Ok mods, what kind of hardware would you need to help alleviate this problem? I've got some parts lying around that I'd send over to you if they'd help. :)

Mudbug
Jan 31, 2005, 01:02 PM
D'oh, sorry, should've searched! Ok mods, what kind of hardware would you need to help alleviate this problem? I've got some parts lying around that I'd send over to you if they'd help. :)

Two dual 2.3 Xserves and a 4.3TB Xserve RAID. Let me know when they're on their way. :p

edesignuk
Jan 31, 2005, 01:03 PM
Two dual 2.3 Xserves and a 4.3TB Xserve RAID. PowerBook G5's for MR Gods & Mods, for MR administrative purposes of course. Let me know when they're on their way. :p
;)

munkle
Jan 31, 2005, 01:04 PM
Perhaps there should be a sort of pledge drive to get MR new servers to help alleviate the bandwith problem. If there's is a set target to reach it could encourage users to donate, especially if you could track the current donations. I think a lot of people on this site would be willing to help out and it makes it more interesting if you can see the donations build up towards a target. Maybe even incorporate some sort of link clicking frenzy into the equation and have a status bar on the front page.

Think of it as a 'MacRumors in Need Campaign' - I'm sure somebody can whip up a theme song in GarageBand (v.2 please ;)).

mrgreen4242
Jan 31, 2005, 01:09 PM
Two dual 2.3 Xserves and a 4.3TB Xserve RAID. Let me know when they're on their way. :p

Haha, ya I'll drop those in the mail this afternoon.. I was thinking along the lines of more memory, etc. But a pledge drive might be in order instead. Is there a membership program for MR?

I'll be clicking on at least 20 ads per day now, so how much does that translate into for revenue? :P

Rob

munkle
Jan 31, 2005, 01:23 PM
. Is there a membership program for MR?

There is (contributors are the members with demi-God/Goddess, or in a few instances, Contributor, next to their name) but it's disabled (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=103840) at the moment.

Once it's back up I'll stop being a tightass and donate (in the mean time, I'm clicking on ads as we speak!) :)

pigbat
Jan 31, 2005, 01:37 PM
I'd contribute. Could you have a contribution level that allows you to use an Avatar? :D

XIII
Feb 10, 2005, 01:52 PM
What does anyone think seriously about this? I think its a good idea...

edesignuk
Feb 10, 2005, 01:55 PM
What does anyone think seriously about this? I think its a good idea...
About what? The server upgrade? They've just done that.

XIII
Feb 10, 2005, 01:57 PM
:o Whoops, haha

I'll go away now. :p

baby duck monge
Feb 10, 2005, 03:36 PM
[QUOTE=mrgreen4242
I'll be clicking on at least 20 ads per day now, so how much does that translate into for revenue? :P

Rob[/QUOTE]

i think i saw arn say something the other day advising against this. something about getting into trouble with advertisers for false inflation of click-throughs. he advised acting in your normal way when it comes to the ads.