Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kauai

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
With the iPhone it was a clear cut case of core functionality. But I'm not as versed with the reasons as to why I should jailbreak my iPad. I would be grateful if you guys could provide me with your favorite jailbroken uses of your iPad and what has benefited you the most.

Mitchrapp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2010
I could go with a long list but the answer is simple or better yet, your question should have been: "Why shouldn't I JB my iPad?"

ZilogZ80

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
But I'm not as versed with the reasons as to why I should jailbreak my iPad.
If there is something you need to do with your iPad that can only be done by jailbreaking, then jailbreak. Otherwise don't bother. What other people are doing with their iPads shouldn't be a factor.

your question should have been: "Why shouldn't I JB my iPad?"
makes it more of a pain when updating iOS? Possibly not being able to run the latest iOS? Having to run a tethered jailbreak?

THFourteen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
London
The apps i have installed :

RetinaPad - nobrainer, check out the other thread if you dont know what it does, but its incredibly cheeky of Apple not to allow this themselves

NoMute - get rid of the stupid mute button

Emulators :

PSX4All - amazing, playing through FFVII again, and it works great
Snes4iphone - just for laughs really, dont use it much. both of these work with wiimote controllers too.
dospad - old dos games, this is a realy winner
scummvm - day of the tentacle, monkey island etc.

apart from that nothing really.

ZilogZ80

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
dospad - old dos games, this is a realy winner
scummvm - day of the tentacle, monkey island etc.
I am interested to know which dos games you are running that you consider really playable on the iPad? Stunt Car Racer works great but that is about it out of all the games I've tried! Really hoping for a big speed boost from iPad2 so I can play (original) Colonization on it at a decent speed!

I think the official remake of monkey island works much better than scummvm. No other choice for DoTT (yet!) though, obviously.

ZilogZ80

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
RetinaPad - nobrainer, check out the other thread if you dont know what it does, but its incredibly cheeky of Apple not to allow this themselves
THIS
definitely

I might also add: iFile, SBSettings, Safari Download Manager, Folder Enhancer and MyWi are things I have found very useful

Last edited:

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
With the iPhone it was a clear cut case of core functionality. But I'm not as versed with the reasons as to why I should jailbreak my iPad. I would be grateful if you guys could provide me with your favorite jailbroken uses of your iPad and what has benefited you the most.

Same reason as the iPhone no difference, "core Functionality", the iPad is limited by Apple on what it can do, JB allow you to control every peripheral (Wifi, BT, Dock connector compatibility, etc), Real multitasking, Themes, Notifications, Sounds, File Broswing and storage, SMSs. I can go on and on but you get the point by now

THFourteen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
London
I am interested to know which dos games you are running that you consider really playable on the iPad? Stunt Car Racer works great but that is about it out of all the games I've tried! Really hoping for a big speed boost from iPad2 so I can play (original) Colonization on it at a decent speed!

I think the official remake of monkey island works much better than scummvm. No other choice for DoTT (yet!) though, obviously.

I'm a big adventure game fan, and I find things like the VGA updates of police quest and quest for glory run brilliantly. You're right tho, monkey island remakes are better than the originals.

Ultima 7 is a bit too choppy, and sensible world of soccer too, although with the new joystick update I'm tempted to try and eek some performance out of it by playing with the configs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.