Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
I know this is a little odd, but I post here a lot and talk about apple products alot, but I need help.
My work is willing to buy me a video editing rig, but it has to be a PC for so many reasons. I also HAVE to use adobe cs5. As these are not areas I am familiar with (PC, Adobe) I was hoping to get some help.
The budget is 3000 dollars (after tax - 2700 before tax)
I shoot with a canon t2i.

a few questions:
1. will a dual GPU system help? (cross fire or SLI?)
2. are the new intel i7's awesome as they are made out to be?
3. am I better off with a AMD 6 core or intel 4 core? (intel 6 core?)
4. adobe says that certain GPU's are hardware excellerated like the 470's. Are the newer ones better to get?

and if you feel abitious, what would you build out of this?

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
I know this is a little odd, but I post here a lot and talk about apple products alot, but I need help.
My work is willing to buy me a video editing rig, but it has to be a PC for so many reasons. I also HAVE to use adobe cs5. As these are not areas I am familiar with (PC, Adobe) I was hoping to get some help.
The budget is 3000 dollars (after tax - 2700 before tax)
I shoot with a canon t2i.

a few questions:
1. will a dual GPU system help? (cross fire or SLI?)
2. are the new intel i7's awesome as they are made out to be?
3. am I better off with a AMD 6 core or intel 4 core? (intel 6 core?)
4. adobe says that certain GPU's are hardware excellerated like the 470's. Are the newer ones better to get?

and if you feel abitious, what would you build out of this?

Id get as many cores as possible - Adobes Media Compression can use the extra cores. Id get a GPU with acceleration - as high performance as you can. (Also, personally I go with AMD for PC rigs, as their CPUs are slightly better).

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom

Looks good - in terms of Raw Power it should approach a Mac Pro 6-core (Although as you know, it wont approach it for videos - Its a shame they wont let you get a Mac to run CS5 and FCP on... Premier is so inferior compared to FCP.. but Im assuming you know that judging by your attitude towards having to get a PC :D) - Just pair that with a good Mobo and 12/16/24GB RAM and plenty of storage and you have a semi dream PC Editing Station :cool:

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
Seeing as you like Gigabyte, Id look at this Mobo: GA-890FXA-UD5 - If you get a decent graphics card and 16GB RAM, that board should scream. It also has eSATA for RAID expansion.

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
16gigs + video cards

still two questions left.

1. ram
should I bother with the *1866 or what ever clocked ram that has to be OC'd or just go for the highest?

2. cross fire or SLI
is it worth geting two of those EVGA cards to SLI them? Will I get a big video bump while editting?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.