Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

louse1312

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
I am trying to connect my macbook to an HD tv with an HDMI cable (cable is WITH audio), i plug it all in, go to 'audio' in system preferences to change the output location. However, the only thing that comes up is internal speakers.
I have tried it on two different tv's with two different cables, and somebody else has used their mac with my cable and tv and it worked fine. But for some reason, my macbook wont give me the option to change audio output. How can i do this?? Whats going wrong?
It is only the audio that is the problem, the picture is fine.
Any help? PLEASE!?

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
What model is yours? is it one of the ones that were introduced after april 2010, or is it older? If it's the older model it won't output audio through MDP

louse1312

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
I got it in January 2010 and i think the model came out just before. Also, whats MDP??

Last edited:

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Well there's the headphone jack on the side. It also has an optical output in the same jack, so if you connect the optical adaptor to it, you can still get HDMI-quality digital audio out of your computer.

louse1312

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
Thank you! Where would i connect it to on my tv? Does it fit in with HDMI cable somehow?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.