Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steveburbank

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
I have a 13-inch Macbook white unibody and for some reason it suddenly will shut down when I move it. The powercord will not light up or charge and I have to reconnect it 20 or 30 times to get it to charge again. I've reset the SMC and it still happens. Is this a known problem or has anyone had it before? The computer has not been dropped or damaged at all and is just a year old. Any type of movement will shut it down and make the power cord stop charging and it is hard to start the computer back up as well.

steveburbank

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
It does not. When running from battery power I can do whatever and it runs just fine. Can throw it and it won't turn off, but now it won't even charge at all and my battery is about to die...the battery is healthy though. Is that a magsafe problem?

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
It's hard to say if it is the magsafe or some of the power circuitry inside of the mbp that is the problem. If you have access to a compatible magsafe adapter (friend) you could narrow down the problem further.

Failing that if your machine is still in warrantee take it to the apple store or call apple if there is no store nearby. Be sure to take (or ship) the magsafe adapter with the laptop because the problem is either your magsafe or your laptop.

edit: My bet is on the magsafe as they tend to take more abuse than the laptop but without testing there is no sure way to know.

Last edited:

steveburbank

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
I don't know if this helps diagnose at all, but when the computer does shut off from it when it was working and charging, it would be hard to turn back on and my date and time would be screwy and it wouldn't remember the password for my wireless network. Then the charger wouldn't charge again until 20 or 30 times replugging it in. Now it just won't charge at all. No light, no nothing.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
I don't know if this helps diagnose at all, but when the computer does shut off from it when it was working and charging, it would be hard to turn back on and my date and time would be screwy and it wouldn't remember the password for my wireless network. Then the charger wouldn't charge again until 20 or 30 times replugging it in. Now it just won't charge at all. No light, no nothing.

Hi Steve, there is no way of knowing without you testing by elimination... my best answer is in post 4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.