PDA

View Full Version : ATV - Perian Codec vs XBMC

Fallenman
Jan 17, 2011, 02:52 AM
So, I have just received a 1st Gen AppleTV. I love it, but have a lot of movies I share with friends and family that dont use the iTunes format. I have installed XBMC, and its pretty good, a bit fiddly, and the music/photo functionality is sluggish.

Given that the only reason I want XBMC is to play other formats, am I better off installing a codec pack like Perian?

Once I do that, can I still stream my films that sit on an external HD on my iMac? Or would it expect me to use iTunes somehow?

:o

ehurdler
Jan 18, 2011, 01:56 PM
So, I have just received a 1st Gen AppleTV. I love it, but have a lot of movies I share with friends and family that dont use the iTunes format. I have installed XBMC, and its pretty good, a bit fiddly, and the music/photo functionality is sluggish.

Given that the only reason I want XBMC is to play other formats, am I better off installing a codec pack like Perian?

Once I do that, can I still stream my films that sit on an external HD on my iMac? Or would it expect me to use iTunes somehow?

:o

What OS version is running on your aTV? Probably the latest, 3.0.2? Regardless I would install nitoTV if you haven't already. You can always play any video type through there....just install perian, etc. If you run the smart installer you can even plug a usb HD to the aTV and just play everything that way. This is what I do. I have a 1TB usb drive connected to my original aTV at all times. I have mostly avi files and full DVD rips on there.