PDA

View Full Version : New Powermacs

themacman
Jan 31, 2005, 05:11 PM
when do you think the new powermac will come out? 3 ghz?

combatcolin
Jan 31, 2005, 05:34 PM
This week is for the Powerbook, maybe in a fortnight it will be the Powermac's turn.

_pb_boi
Jan 31, 2005, 05:35 PM
Been a couple of threads on this one.

Some people reckon the lineup will be a single 2, a dual 2.3 and a dual 2.5, while others reckon the line will top out at 3GHz. Tbh, no one really knows, it's all speculation!

But I think some sort of shakeup is coming soon. Just a feeling, they're too close to the Powerbooks in many respects for Apple to sit tight for long.

andy.

wrldwzrd89
Jan 31, 2005, 05:44 PM
Been a couple of threads on this one.

Some people reckon the lineup will be a single 2, a dual 2.3 and a dual 2.5, while others reckon the line will top out at 3GHz. Tbh, no one really knows, it's all speculation!

But I think some sort of shakeup is coming soon. Just a feeling, they're too close to the Powerbooks in many respects for Apple to sit tight for long.

andy.
My guess is that, depending on when the various parts used in the PowerMac G5 are ready, Apple will upgrade the PowerMacs sometime between February 15, 2005 (a Tuesday) and March 15, 2005 (another Tuesday).

As far as processor speeds go:
The low end will almost certainly be 2.0 GHz. It could possibly be 2.3 or even 2.5 GHz. (my guess is single CPU and dual CPU versions, like there is now).
The mid-range will either have a pair of 2.3 GHz CPUs or 2.5 GHz CPUs. 2.8 GHz is a remote possibility.
The high-end won't be 2.5 GHz...it's probably going to be either dual 2.8 GHz or dual 3.0 GHz.

Possible lineups:

Single 2.0, Dual 2.0, Dual 2.5, Dual 2.8 (most likely)
Single 2.0, Dual 2.0, Dual 2.5, Dual 3.0 (second most likely)
Single 2.3, Dual 2.3, Dual 2.5, Dual 2.8 (unlikely)
Single 2.5, Dual 2.5, Dual 2.8, Dual 3.0 (highly unlikely, but still possible)

ravenvii
Jan 31, 2005, 06:35 PM
I still say 2.0, 2.3 and 2.5. Cuz my gut said so!

I bet soon; they gotta put in the new BT 2.0 module! :D

themacman
Jan 31, 2005, 06:49 PM
the got an 8x superdrive into a powerbook will they cahnge it into the powermac?

topicolo
Jan 31, 2005, 07:01 PM
It's very possible, since Pioneer 16x Dual layer DVD burners are only ~ $70US. It's not like having a DVD burner is going to ruin the cost of a powermac.

jeremy.king
Jan 31, 2005, 08:11 PM
when do you think the new powermac will come out? 3 ghz?

The day after you buy one ;)

relimw
Feb 1, 2005, 09:16 PM
Possible lineups:

Single 2.0, Dual 2.0, Dual 2.5, Dual 2.8 (most likely)
Single 2.0, Dual 2.0, Dual 2.5, Dual 3.0 (second most likely)
Single 2.3, Dual 2.3, Dual 2.5, Dual 2.8 (unlikely)
Single 2.5, Dual 2.5, Dual 2.8, Dual 3.0 (highly unlikely, but still possible)
My pick would be Single 2.0, Dual 2.3, Dual 2.5, Dual 3.0. It will not be a Dual 2.5 for the top end. People would throw a huge fit if it was.

I'll be buying the Dual 3 when it's announced (and prolly waiting 6 months like people did for the the Dual 2.5 to be delivered) :rolleyes:

simie
Feb 2, 2005, 12:48 AM
Remember that chip manufacturers are still having major problems with cooling down CPU's.

I rekon it will be a 2.3GHZ or 2.5GHZ with dual core dual processors - the DVD writer will be dual format.

They may even have ATi's X800 card in them running on a PCI Express bus

And they will be running Tiger by the time everyone order comes through.

DrBoar
Feb 2, 2005, 02:25 AM
Dual cores will come as will PCIe but both will require extensive MB changes so I expect them to arrive at the same time.

Assuming that the 1 MB L2 cache version of the 970 can run at the same speed as the 512K one even a marginal speed bump to 2.8 GHz would hopefully a larger performance boost. Then the tower can be improved with more RAM and larger HDs as well as faster graphical cards.

Apple will not benefit from showing 3 GHz dual core dual CPU, PCIe boxes in April and then not be able to deliver them until July. It would totaly kill tower sales for a quarter and leave those who really need a tower "stranded".

Apple are far better of with keeping the next generation under wraps until they can deliver in large numbers, assuming that it will be a big leap forward. If the next generation is only marginally better then the current towers will not look so bad.

My hope is that we sometime during this year get substantially faster towers with dual cores, integrated memory controllers, PCIe and more space inside the boxes. I expect one minor update of the current towers.

When the G4 finaly got past 500 MHz to 733 MHz that percentile boost correspond to a leap from 2.5 GHz to 3.6 GHz, so the bar for a substaintial speed boost is pretty high :D

DrBoar
Feb 2, 2005, 03:16 AM
Dual cores will come as will PCIe but both will require extensive MB changes so I expect them to arrive at the same time.

Assuming that the 1 MB L2 cache version of the 970 can run at the same speed as the 512K one even a marginal speed bump to 2.8 GHz would hopefully a larger performance boost. Then the tower can be improved with more RAM and larger HDs as well as faster graphical cards.

Apple will not benefit from showing 3 GHz dual core dual CPU, PCIe boxes in April and then not be able to deliver them until July. It would totaly kill tower sales for a quarter and leave those who really need a tower "stranded".

Apple are far better of with keeping the next generation under wraps until they can deliver in large numbers, assuming that it will be a big leap forward. If the next generation is only marginally better then the current towers will not look so bad.

My hope is that we sometime during this year get substantially faster towers with dual cores, integrated memory controllers, PCIe and more space inside the boxes. I expect one minor update of the current towers.

When the G4 finaly got past 500 MHz to 733 MHz that percentile boost correspond to a leap from 2.5 GHz to 3.6 GHz, so the bar for a substaintial speed boost is pretty high :D

wrldwzrd89
Feb 2, 2005, 04:51 AM

Actually, I agree with you, but for a different reason than the one you used. The strategy you mentioned will give us better Macs in the long run, since IBM (the manufacturer behind the PPC 970) will not be rushed into making the improvements necessary for a new PowerMac release.

Speaking of which...whatever happened to IBM's Power5 and its associated PowerPC derivative? The Power5 can be found NOW in servers offered by IBM - why hasn't it made its way into Macs yet? Is it possible that, since IBM hit the wall with the PPC 970, they'll release the Power5 derivative instead for use in the next PowerMac?

DrBoar
Feb 2, 2005, 06:33 AM
I don't think IBM will be rushed either way, but it is Apple that is rushed in selling them. That is there will be a demand outstripping supplies not that IBM rush a flawed CPU to the market.

With both AMD and Intel having dual core CPUs not far of it makes no sense in Apple not having the next CPU being dual core as well. If that will be e dual core 970 derivative or a Power5 derivative we hopefully soon will find out :o

fringe benefit: with dual core CPUs in windows more game engines will be SMP aware