Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRiOS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
Handbrake has been my go to converter for basically all of my movies and tv shows, however now that I've started adding blu-rays to my collection I've been running into a problem.
I use MakeMKV to rip the blu-ray disc which gives me a rather large MKV file (usually around 30-40GB per movie) Now what I;d like to do is get that size down to about 3-6GB without sacrificing quality. I've tried using the high profile preset and variations on that but every file that handbrake outputs from the MKVs that I get from the Blu-rays doesn't work. Quicktime and VLC won't play them even though they are in m4v format. This only happens with feature length movies, When I ripped tv seasons from blu rays everything works fine, just like regular dvds, but movies won't work.

Can anyone share the secret to getting blu-rays into a reasonable size and still be able to have decent quality?

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Use the ATV2 preset. Make sure you have the latest Handbrake update. Works great with any of the latest iOS devices that have the A4 processor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.