Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thehackster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2009
So I have an Airport Extreme and my iPod Nano 5G put into disk mode, and able to browse through my ipod as if its plugged directly into my computer.
Hell, it even shows up on my desktop as if its a normal direct connection iPod after going to (Airport Disk name Here) and click on my ipod name . I can sync it with Floola, the iTunes alternative, completley and add/delete stuff.
But unfortunately, iTunes doesn't detect it. It shows the 'Connected' picture, as if its syncing with iTunes. Running iTunes 10, if it helps, everything's updated.
Anyway to enable iTunes to 'see' my iPod and sync it? :confused:

Thanks

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I don't think so. iTunes doesn't work like that. It needs to see the USB ID of the iPod in order to connect to it and synch with it.

thehackster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2009
seriously? that sucks. Well, i kno the jailbreak program WiFi Sync for iPhone/iPod touch syncs perfectly with itunes. Maybe a quick code swap to run with regular iPods off of Airports?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I don't think it will work, even with WiFi Sync. It uses an app on the iDevice to synch with. Your iPod cannot run this app. Thus, it cannot synch over WiFi using it.

thehackster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2009
I understand that. I meant tweaking the Mac side of Wifi Sync. (it requires a computer application and an application on the ipod) The mac side emulates a iPhone/iPod USB FWID, and iTunes launches it. If we could change wifi sync to read a pre-entered ID, iTunes would recognize the iPod and open it up, and sync as normal. Someone would have to edit the Wifi Sync code, tho.

thehackster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2009
thats the thing, we already have the client side. an ipod, put into disk mode, plugged into an airport extreme, and open as an airport disk shows up as a regular ipod on your desktop. so the computer already connects to it, we just need the emulation of the FWID to get itunes to accept it.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
But the Airport Extreme doesn't support the type of data stream iTunes needs to properly see the iPod. That's why the WiFi Sync client app is an important parts. It forwards the USB ID, Library ID, media transfers, SQL commands, and other iTunes/iPod interactions.

thehackster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2009
actually, it does. all of that data is simply sent over a usb transfer like its a usb flash drive, except the files are hidden on transfer. the ipod nano is basically a flash drive with a screen. iTunes can transfer it, it just doesn't want to. I can use Floola to completley edit my iPod and it works perfectly. I just need iTunes to work with it.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The problem isn't with the USB connection. Its with iTunes not working properly with the Extreme, even more so it's the Extreme's problem. It simply will not work. Because iTunes will try to send data to something that isn't there. WiFi Sync tricks/hacks iTunes into sending it to the client app. But non-iOS iPods cannot run the client app. Thus, it will not work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.