PDA

View Full Version : Powis iCase Review- Best case on the market?

bigbro1096
Jan 17, 2011, 06:36 PM
Introduction to the iCase
I was recently chosen to review a new iPad case from Powis called the iCase. In this review I will be talking about the case, how it compares to the Portenzo and original Apple iPad Case, my personal opinion about the case, and other little information about Powis's iCase. Powis is the company that invented the "Fastback" which is a tabletop binding machine, but recently they came out with their first iPad case. They claim the iCase features nine (9) different positions, a sleek design, a snap in case, a neatly hidden wiping cloth, business card holder, a hand strap that can be used to hold the cover shut or to use as a handle to hold/carry the case and iPad, is made from 100% recycled cowhide fibers from Spain in the leather cases, and are constructed of 100% recycled cardboard. As of now they offer 2 different exteriors. The pricing changes with the different exteriors. The premium leather cases go between $79.95 and $59.95, and patterned cases printed on a laminated cover cost $49.95. A custom designed iPad case goes for $69.95 (the custom designed iCase is not yet offered as of the posting of this review) and personalizing a case cost about $9.95 extra. You can customize a case with your name, company logo, monogram, inscription, or a favorite quote.

Review of the iCase
First, lets begin with the packaging. The case comes in a cardboard box, which I'm sure is recycled as Powis prides themselves on how environmentally friendly they are. On the front there is a picture of the case and a square cut out to show the actual case along with the Powis iCase logo in the top left corner. On the back it shows the 9 different possible positions and four (4) other neat features offered, that were listed in the first paragraph. I received the burgundy light grain case and right off the back I can say I love this case; the smell is just so good, the color is a warm and settle reddish brown, it feels like it was made for your hands, and it seems very executive. I find my self smelling my iCase at least 4 times a minute. All of the features perform as stated except for I had a little trouble getting the iPad in, in fact at first I thought I broke the case. The stand is very good and gives many sturdy positions. My favorite position is the standard one you would use to watch a movie because I type a lot using my wireless keyboard. All the ports are unobscured and easily reachable. The iPad dock obviously won't work with this case on, but I don't know of any other dock port related accessories will or will not work with the iCase. The headphone jack is also small, but most headphones should fit. The leather on the case feels the same like the leather on my couch, I say this because some have said the leather feels like "rubbery plastic." I personally hate cases that have notches and then you fold the case back so I'm happy Powis made the mechanism on the back.

iCase VS. Portenzo
Now I'm going to compare the iCase to the Portenzo. The outside of the Portenzo is harder than that of the iCase, please keep in mind though that the Portenzo I have is fake leather and the iCase is real leather. The Portenzo only offers one said position which is their typing position. Just like the iCase the Portenzo does offer a nice elastic strap to hold the cover shut. The part of the Portenzo case that holds the iPad in place is bamboo while the holding mechanism on the iCase is plastic. The Portenzo does seem a little more customizable. The front cover of the Portenzo doesn't shift as much as the iCase. Both the iCase and the Portenzo have past my shake test. Another good thing about the Portenzo is its thinner then the iCase. iCase has good customer service, but I love Portenzo's customer service better especially because Darin replies in almost two (2) hours on average. Also the Portenzo only cost $59.95.

iCase VS. Apple Case
In my opinion there there really isn't any competition here. The Apple case is more than half of the iCase. The Apple case gets dirty easily, bends if you keep it in a certain position for too long. The Apple case also doesnt have any sturdy positions. Powis seemed to fix these problems by making their case easy to clean, and they added a special mechanism. I love everything Apple makes and am a Total Apple fanboy, but their case just is horrid. The Apple case runs for $39.00.

Ending Remarks
The iCase is probably one of the best cases on the market now, but there are still plenty of good cases out there but for more money. I love Portenzo, as you can tell from my signature, and I love how the Portenzo is hand made, but for the same price you can get the Powis iCase with real leather and more positions. The iCase is simply a great case and I think compared to others it is worth the price! If you can afford both definitely check out Portenzo and the iCase. Thank you for reading. I should have a video up and pictures up in an hour or so. Powis's YouTube account can be found at www.YouTube.com/powisicase or you can go to www.powisicase.com to order your own iCase. If you have any questions or photo request let me know and I'll be sure to update.

bigbro1096
Jan 17, 2011, 07:09 PM
Here are some pictures. I used my iphone 4 so they may not be best quality. I am currently working on a video review so you don't have to read all of that. The video should be up today or sometime tomorrow; when it is up I will add a link to it. Once again if you have any questions or request just leave a comment and I'll try to get to it as soon as possible.

bigbro1096
Jan 17, 2011, 09:42 PM
The stand at the back of the case is really cool.

Definitely! I was expecting a wobbly and weak stand but it's actually thick and strong. I also like how it doesn't protrude past the rest of the case so you don't even notice it when your not using the stand. Thank you for your comment

kreach
Jan 17, 2011, 10:48 PM
Neat! All leather.

Too late as i bought Brenthaven 5 in 1 case a few days back.

Tobster3
Jan 18, 2011, 04:15 AM
I'd be interested to know the weight of the iCase, with or without the iPad in it is fine.

Thanks

bigbro1096
Jan 18, 2011, 05:24 AM
Neat! All leather.

Too late as i bought Brenthaven 5 in 1 case a few days back.
That case sounds cool. I should check it out

I'd be interested to know the weight of the iCase, with or without the iPad in it is fine.

Thanks
The weight with the iPad in the case is 2.25 pounds and the weight with out the iPad is about half a pound. It is very light.

maflynn
Jan 18, 2011, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the review

I have a couple of questions

How do you think the case will hold up over time?

Any weak spots or areas in the design?

Is the case thicker then apples's iPad case? I like how thin apple's case is

I like the mechinism that it uses to secure the ipad over portenzo's. I'm not a huge fan of the bamboo being used

bigbro1096
Jan 18, 2011, 09:07 PM
Here is the video review. It isn't as good as the written review a it's more of a summarized version of it. Enjoy! http://m.youtube.com/#/profile?user=AppleBoyFreak&v=rVfyTLQwq18&view=videos

bigbro1096
Jan 18, 2011, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the review

I have a couple of questions

How do you think the case will hold up over time?

Any weak spots or areas in the design?

Is the case thicker then apples's iPad case? I like how thin apple's case is

I like the mechinism that it uses to secure the ipad over portenzo's. I'm not a huge fan of the bamboo being used

1. So far I believe the case will hold up for a long time. Everything is constructed to be exact and it just feels extremely solid. Even the binding seems extremely well done.
2. So far there doesn't seem to be any weak spots at all. Like I said it's pretty solid.
3. If you were to lay the Apple iPad Case flat with out an iPad in it it is about 1 inch thinner then the iCase. If you watch the review I just put up you will see that I do compare their thickness and the thickness of the Portenzo's.
Opinion: the case is thick for sure but you don't really notice it. The Apple iPad case is about half of the iCase and the iCase is the same price as the Portenzo, if you get the colored lightly textured leather. Over all it is my favorite case out of my 3. I currently have the portenzo and apple iPad case along with the iCase. Thank you for commenting

ejaylees
Jan 19, 2011, 03:08 AM
I too have just received a new iPad case for review. So here goes.......

I was very impressed that my iCase arrived in 100% fully recyclable cardboard packaging that backs up Powis claims to be environmentally friendly with the leather in their cases being made from recycled cow fibres.

The packaging was very well put together with very little chance of the case being damaged in transit. In the package were instructions on how to install your iPad in the case as well as a Powis business card to show off the business card holder that is built into the iCase cover.

The case I received was Dark Brown leather which I really like. The iCase feels solid and well made and for a case that has a stand built into the cover is really light. With the iPad installed into the iCase it feels really well protected and also disguises the iPad and makes it look like you are only carrying an diary or organiser.

The iPad is extremely easy to install and to take out of the iCase. The instructions were fairly very straight forward and once installed it holds the iPad securely. I tried to shake the iPad loose whilst holding the case upside down over my bed but this sucker was not moving at all.

Once in the case the iPad sort of floats above the surface as it sits on a raised ledge which enables the micro fibre cloth and holder to sit underneath. I really like the micro fibre cloth holder however if I could be really picky the only criticism I have is that instead of the holder operating on a hinge it just sits in two grooves and it is quite easy to pull the whole thing out. When I did this I found it a bit difficult to get back in. This is only a small criticism and could be improved but this holder is a feature that is not available in any other case that I know of so I do not want to criticise their innovativeness.

The cut outs for the controls are cut perfectly, and all controls can be easily accessed when case is opened or closed. There are rubber edges on the case that come into play when it is standing up and this too is a great innovation to protect the sides of the case from the wear and tear of using it as a stand.

Powis claims on its website that there are 9 positions that the case can be used in. I tried them all and they all work. However once again if I was to be picky I would say that the portrait options are not really that stable and I would not want to use them very often. The plastic stand built into the back of the case is solid and works well with in all positions. It adds some real stability and gives this case real flexibility.

In conclusion Powis has set out to create an iPad case that improves on all the shortcomings of other cases on the market and can I say it does a great job. It jams a lot of features into one case. What they have ended up with is one of the best iPad cases on the market and whilst there is room for improvement there is not much of it. I love this case and will be coming back for more!

Do yourself a favour and visit http://www.powisicase.com/

bigbro1096
Jan 19, 2011, 05:27 AM
I too have just received a new iPad case for review. So here goes.......

I was very impressed that my iCase arrived in 100% fully recyclable cardboard packaging that backs up Powis claims to be environmentally friendly with the leather in their cases being made from recycled cow fibres.

The packaging was very well put together with very little chance of the case being damaged in transit. In the package were instructions on how to install your iPad in the case as well as a Powis business card to show off the business card holder that is built into the iCase cover.

The case I received was Dark Brown leather which I really like. The iCase feels solid and well made and for a case that has a stand built into the cover is really light. With the iPad installed into the iCase it feels really well protected and also disguises the iPad and makes it look like you are only carrying an diary or organiser.

The iPad is extremely easy to install and to take out of the iCase. The instructions were fairly very straight forward and once installed it holds the iPad securely. I tried to shake the iPad loose whilst holding the case upside down over my bed but this sucker was not moving at all.

Once in the case the iPad sort of floats above the surface as it sits on a raised ledge which enables the micro fibre cloth and holder to sit underneath. I really like the micro fibre cloth holder however if I could be really picky the only criticism I have is that instead of the holder operating on a hinge it just sits in two grooves and it is quite easy to pull the whole thing out. When I did this I found it a bit difficult to get back in. This is only a small criticism and could be improved but this holder is a feature that is not available in any other case that I know of so I do not want to criticise their innovativeness.

The cut outs for the controls are cut perfectly, and all controls can be easily accessed when case is opened or closed. There are rubber edges on the case that come into play when it is standing up and this too is a great innovation to protect the sides of the case from the wear and tear of using it as a stand.

Powis claims on its website that there are 9 positions that the case can be used in. I tried them all and they all work. However once again if I was to be picky I would say that the portrait options are not really that stable and I would not want to use them very often. The plastic stand built into the back of the case is solid and works well with in all positions. It adds some real stability and gives this case real flexibility.

In conclusion Powis has set out to create an iPad case that improves on all the shortcomings of other cases on the market and can I say it does a great job. It jams a lot of features into one case. What they have ended up with is one of the best iPad cases on the market and whilst there is room for improvement there is not much of it. I love this case and will be coming back for more!

Do yourself a favour and visit http://www.powisicase.com/

I love your review! Please post pics.

maflynn
Jan 19, 2011, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the answers to my questions. I'll need to mull it over a little more.

The thing I like about the apple case is its size, its a very small case. Its not think at all.

My wife has the Incase Convertible Book Jacket and its bulky. I'm very displeased with the quality. The closing flap does not sit flat on the ipad, and that just exacerbates the bulky feel to it.

Everything about the Powis iCase is tempting except for the thickness. I guess I'll need to mull this over a little more.

bigbro1096
Jan 19, 2011, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the answers to my questions. I'll need to mull it over a little more.

The thing I like about the apple case is its size, its a very small case. Its not think at all.

My wife has the Incase Convertible Book Jacket and its bulky. I'm very displeased with the quality. The closing flap does not sit flat on the ipad, and that just exacerbates the bulky feel to it.

Everything about the Powis iCase is tempting except for the thickness. I guess I'll need to mull this over a little more.

When I received my Powis iCase it came with a little packet. Inside the packet is table chart which shows what others disliked about other cases and how Powis fixed the pose problems with their iCase. An example from the chart is that many people said the Apple Case gets dirty; can't keep cover clean so Powis made the outside of the case washable. Another one was the Incase Book Jacket, I too looked into this case but went with the Portenzo instead, people said that they didn't like how the Book jacket was fake leathBer, it was thick, and the board warped so Powis made authentic handcrafted leather from Spain, recycled sturdy board, and a thin and sleek case. I'll post in a min after I see how thick the apple and Powis case is. The Powis I case with iPad in it is 7/8 of an inch thick and the apple case is 5/8 of an inch thick with the iPad in it. Hope that helps

ejaylees
Jan 19, 2011, 02:42 PM
I love your review! Please post pics.

Here they are.....

ejaylees
Jan 19, 2011, 02:44 PM
And here's some more.....

bigbro1096
Jan 19, 2011, 02:59 PM
And here's some more.....

Those pictures are great! Looks like we got the same case. :)

ejaylees
Jan 19, 2011, 06:10 PM
Thanks mate. Yep she's a real beauty and not very well known over here in Australia yet. Hope you are enjoying yours as much as I am mine! :D

bigbro1096
Jan 19, 2011, 06:38 PM
Thanks mate. Yep she's a real beauty and not very well known over here in Australia yet. Hope you are enjoying yours as much as I am mine! :D

I definitely am. :) it's my main case now

bklam
Jan 20, 2011, 11:46 PM
The Powis iCase.*

I finally received the Patterned Powis iCase on printed cover. I chose the one that looked like a vintage book. I was let down a bit because i assumed it will be leather but found out quickly that it was on a printed cover. My fault but it would have been awesome if it was leather.*

The packaging was very clean with all recyclable materials, no plastic can be found in sight.*

The iPad holder itself is made of plastic and holds the iPad very secure in its place. There is also a slide out bar with a microfibre cloth for cleaning. Kinda flimsy but its removable.*

Powis offers 9+ viewing angles for this iCase. I've tried them all and I haven't found one that allows me to comfortable type on a table. When I fold it flat around the spine, the case holder elevates the iPad to an unnatural position for my wrist to type. It's a bit better when I use the plastic stand on the back cover but it still isn't ergonomic for my wrists.*

I must say the inside cover is a nice touch as it is made of real leather. I don't own hand bags but it sure smells like it. In terms of thickness, it isn't that much thicker than the Portenzo case. The positive is the stand in the back which is really functional but the look of it is unpleasant. The elastic band i found much more sturdy and thick compared to my double black Portenzo. It's still too early for me to judge this case cause i haven't used it in my daily chores but i sure will update this review when I have decided how i feel about it.*

The cases currently range from 49.95 to 79.95 with the option of personalization at 9.95 extra.*

To my Canadian friends, I received my case through UPS and had to pay 40$ in brokerage fees. If you are going to order your iCase, please keep this in mind. Unfortunately for me i wasn't home so i had to drive an hour to ups and an hour back.*

Jen at Powis was super nice and communicated with me via email very promptly. I would like to thank her and Powis for allowing me to try out their exciting new product. *

******* update********

Alright, I've been using this for a day now and I must say it's growing on me. My favorite position is folding the back cover and using the plastic stand. I also agree with some comments about this being a nice case, it really fits in with my furniture as well. It's almost an iPad station come to think of it. Powis has a one up on Portenzo in terms of the positions for sure. Now i feel bad for not using my other one cause my gf bought it for me for Christmas.

ejaylees
Jan 21, 2011, 03:21 AM
Interesting that UPS charges brokerage fees to Canada whereas I received mine shipped from Jen at Powis to here in Australia with no such charges from UPS. :confused:

Mrbill317
Jan 21, 2011, 01:06 PM
I picked the standard black leather case. I have the Marware case currently and it seems to be coming apart.
Hopefully they ship soon.

bigbro1096
Jan 21, 2011, 02:52 PM
Mr. Bill, great choice. The pictures don't show how elegant and professional the case is. I have my iCase sitting on the table in the living room and it just looks awesome! Plus the color matches my leather couch. I'm almost tempted to get another. :)

bigbro1096
Jan 21, 2011, 10:05 PM
With every iCase you get a coupon for a complementary personalization. If anyone wants to use mine it is WEBJAN please comment if you use it so others aren't trying to use it too, it expires January 31,2011

bigbro1096
Jan 23, 2011, 05:00 PM
I love the iCase but I also love the thinness of thePortenzo so I find myself switching between cases every other week

maflynn
Jan 23, 2011, 09:07 PM
The thinness of the apple case is why I think I like that over the icase or the portenzo

PacMookBro
Jan 24, 2011, 08:17 PM
The thinness of the apple case is why I think I like that over the icase or the portenzo

I totally agree with this argument. Icase is feature-rich and versatile but if you really appreciate the thinness of iPad, stay away from it. It simply makes the iPad unnecessarily heavy. Have you done reading on iPad with a case on? It is a pain! Get a twelve south compass stand instead. The compass stand will definitely work with any future iPads.

bigbro1096
Jan 25, 2011, 02:28 PM
Update: I find myself keep having to push down the corners on the Portenzo so I use the iCase as my main case. If you get a iCase and would like to post your review or have any comments, questions, or request please ask because I check this thread every few hours to help any one. Thank you for viewing this review!

Cutwolf
Mar 12, 2011, 05:35 PM
Any word on an iPad 2 version?

bigbro1096
Apr 6, 2011, 01:40 AM
Any word on an iPad 2 version?

Yes, they will be available May 16, 2011. For more info go to powisicase.com. Sorry I didn't keep up with the thread because I thought it died down, but I'm happy I checked back.

Update: the case is still in great condition even after many bumps and falls. I have used the case bent back and the spine has become less stiff then at the beginning, but it's still very good. I'm impressed.

iPadLuv
Nov 25, 2011, 04:20 PM
iCases are having a 50% off sale for 3 days! :cool:
http://www.powisicase.com/cyber.html

glen e
Nov 25, 2011, 04:52 PM

I don't care about money when it comes to finding the right case as I write them off anyway - So I own a Portenzo, two treegloos, and 2 P&Q's. After traveling with all of them I have come to the conclusion that they are all too big and bulky, no matter what situation I'm in.

A leather (for biz) or poly (for play) smartcover plus a Zum is far better to travel with, so I would not buy your case...just too much bulk. But kudos for ditching the plywood, something I have been raving about for months here.