PDA

View Full Version : New O.S.

Pondake
Jan 18, 2011, 05:30 AM
Hey, I was wondering how to get a new OS X on my PPC
I Got tiger (10.4.11) now, and many programs do not work on this one.
I want to buy a new osx, but wich one do I need?
(I heard snow leopard wasn't working..look here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=768524))
Help mee :)

Nameci
Jan 18, 2011, 07:07 AM
We are stuck with Leopard, by the way, what PPC machine do you have?

Pondake
Jan 18, 2011, 07:13 AM
We are stuck with Leopard, by the way, what PPC machine do you have?

Machine Name: PowerBook G4 15 "
Computer model: PowerBook5, 6
Processor Type: PowerPC G4 (1.2)
Number of Processors: 1
Processor speed: 1.67 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1.5 GB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.9.1f3

maflynn
Jan 18, 2011, 07:13 AM
Apple has long pronounced the death and burial of the powerpc platform. Its at a point of diminishing returns. If you have a nice inventory of apps that run well with a G3/G4/G5 great, just don't expect anything newish to run.

I still have a Cube running OS9, but the need and desire to run OS9 has long surpassed. Given that its taking up space, it may be time to see about getting rid of it.

Pondake
Jan 18, 2011, 07:36 AM
Apple has long pronounced the death and burial of the powerpc platform. Its at a point of diminishing returns. If you have a nice inventory of apps that run well with a G3/G4/G5 great, just don't expect anything newish to run.

I still have a Cube running OS9, but the need and desire to run OS9 has long surpassed. Given that its taking up space, it may be time to see about getting rid of it.
Wo wo wo, what do you mean "cube" "OS9", maybe I'm a noob, but this is new for me.. :rolleyes:

chrismacguy
Jan 18, 2011, 07:43 AM
Wo wo wo, what do you mean "cube" "OS9", maybe I'm a noob, but this is new for me.. :rolleyes:

Before OS X, there was a whole series of Mac OS Software called System 1, etc to System 7, then Mac OS 7.6, Mac OS 8 and Mac OS 9 (Thats why its Mac OS 10, not Mac OS 'eks'). The Cube was a specific model of Mac Apple shipped in 2000 or thereabouts, which took a PowerMac G4 and repackaged it in an 8" Cube, its one of the most sought-after Mac Models as it is just that cool.

You want to put Mac OS 10.5 Leopard on your PowerBook G4 (I have a 1.67Ghz PBG4 running leopard just fine) - Its the most modern OS your PowerBook supports.

Pondake
Jan 18, 2011, 08:15 AM
Before OS X, there was a whole series of Mac OS Software called System 1, etc to System 7, then Mac OS 7.6, Mac OS 8 and Mac OS 9 (Thats why its Mac OS 10, not Mac OS 'eks'). The Cube was a specific model of Mac Apple shipped in 2000 or thereabouts, which took a PowerMac G4 and repackaged it in an 8" Cube, its one of the most sought-after Mac Models as it is just that cool.

You want to put Mac OS 10.5 Leopard on your PowerBook G4 (I have a 1.67Ghz PBG4 running leopard just fine) - Its the most modern OS your PowerBook supports.

Thanks man!

Pondake
Jan 18, 2011, 08:22 AM
What about OS X Lion ?

SDub90
Jan 18, 2011, 08:26 AM
What about OS X Lion ?

No.

chrismacguy
Jan 18, 2011, 08:27 AM
What about OS X Lion ?

1) Not even come out yet
2) Not compatible. Your PowerBook G4 is based on the PowerPC Architecture. Apple discontinued PowerPC Development with the release of 10.5.8 - It is the last release ever to run on PowerPC, 10.6 and all future development is Intel Only. (This means Snow Leopard, Lion and anything after that will not run on your G4)

666sheep
Jan 18, 2011, 08:28 AM
Before buying Leopard, check if software you want to use isn't Intel only. If so, Leopard won't be a solution.
10.6 and later won't support PPC architecture unless Apple will be back to it someday ;)

chrismacguy
Jan 18, 2011, 08:32 AM
Before buying Leopard, check if software you want to use isn't Intel only. If so, Leopard won't be a soultion.
10.6 and later won't support PPC architecture unless Apple will be back to it someday ;)

Apple wont go back to it - mainly as PowerPC isnt being developed for low-power-consumption and because Apple has made a huge investment in going all Intel - shame really as I always liked PowerPC.

Nameci
Jan 18, 2011, 08:34 AM
I just wish they will... soon... :D

chrismacguy
Jan 18, 2011, 08:38 AM
I just wish they will... soon... :D

If they did Id be the first to trade my Mac Pro for a PowerMac G6 (And it might mean for just a few days my G4 MDD becomes my highest-performance-most-up-to-date-with-what-apples-doing-system. Which would be ironic to say the least as its my iTunes server.

el-John-o
Jan 18, 2011, 09:14 AM
If they did Id be the first to trade my Mac Pro for a PowerMac G6 (And it might mean for just a few days my G4 MDD becomes my highest-performance-most-up-to-date-with-what-apples-doing-system. Which would be ironic to say the least as its my iTunes server.

Not if I beat you to it. But only if PPC came back like it was in it's glory days, running absolute CIRCLES around what Intel and AMD had to offer. My 250MHz Macintosh was a BEAST, and when I bought a 500MHz Intel based PC running windows, well, I got rid of it! My 250MHz Mac could outperform it, it booted faster, software I was using (Photoshop, Quark, etc.) were lightning fast, etc. That was great! However, the fastest PPC Processor was struggling to keep up with Intel and AMD's offering at the time Apple killed it. They were smart to do so, they did it "just in time".

I think it would be cool for them to support AMD chips natively. AMD has a lot of great offerings right now, some that are a little quicker than the intel counterpart, some that are a little slower (but nearly identical in 'real world' situations), but all that are ALOT cheaper. Obviously that would force alot of things to change, like their motherboards and etc. to support AMD Chipsets, but weren't they fighting about the Intel integrated graphics on their Macbooks? AMD Vision would be a sweet platform for the Macbook, and AMD Fusion would be great for the MB Pro (AMD Vision is the mid-range notebook 'set' which includes a low-end Radeon based GPU, and a dual core Sempron or Turion or Phenom, fusion is the same chips, or quad-core offerings, and a Radeon HD chip, all the way up to I believe the HD5850M) I'd be willing to bet Apple could build an AMD equivalent of the white Macbook that would perform identically for much less, imagine a $699 or $799 brand new Macbook? Yes please.

Not to mention, there have been times in the past where AMD was killing Intel, they were running circles around EVERYTHING Intel had to offer. Right now they are kind of neck and neck IMHO except for some very high end chips where Intel is king, but if AMD found themselves on top again (they go back and forth and have for years!), it would be great if Apple supported their hardware already and could implement it in that-years Macbook/iMac/Mac Pro.

Of course, unlike PPC vs x86, there is no issue with code. What runs on an Intel Mac would run on an AMD Mac, natively. It's just a matter of writing kexts to support the AMD Hardware, and modiying the boot code to support it (as a matter of fact I can boot OSX Snow Leopard on my quad-core AMD Machine. This thing outperforms a single CPU, Quad-Core Mac Pro, yet was built for barely over $1,000, which includes a VERY fact Radeon HD5870 GPU, which at the time was the fastest single-GPU card. And now that it's been a year, there is not much that's faster). In order to boot OSX I just needed third party kexts, and a modified boot kernel (like any Hackintosh, but in this case, one that's AMD specific), if some hobby programmers in their spare time can do it, so can Apple!

mikenzb
Jan 18, 2011, 09:22 AM
Hey, I was wondering how to get a new OS X on my PPC
I Got tiger (10.4.11) now, and many programs do not work on this one.
I want to buy a new osx, but wich one do I need?
(I heard snow leopard wasn't working..look here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=768524))
Help mee :)
You can only upgrade it too mac os x leopard. (10.5.8)
Here are the Requirements for leopard :apple:
Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard requires:
* A Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or Power PC G4 (867 MHz or faster) processor
* 512 MB memory or more
* A DVD drive for installation
* 9 GB of available disk space or more

Pondake
Jan 18, 2011, 09:55 AM
You can only upgrade it too mac os x leopard. (10.5.8)
Here are the Requirements for leopard :apple:
Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard requires:
* A Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or Power PC G4 (867 MHz or faster) processor
* 512 MB memory or more
* A DVD drive for installation
* 9 GB of available disk space or more
Thanks you all for the info! :D

chrismacguy
Jan 18, 2011, 10:01 AM
Not if I beat you to it. But only if PPC came back like it was in it's glory days, running absolute CIRCLES around what Intel and AMD had to offer. My 250MHz Macintosh was a BEAST, and when I bought a 500MHz Intel based PC running windows, well, I got rid of it! My 250MHz Mac could outperform it, it booted faster, software I was using (Photoshop, Quark, etc.) were lightning fast, etc. That was great! However, the fastest PPC Processor was struggling to keep up with Intel and AMD's offering at the time Apple killed it. They were smart to do so, they did it "just in time".

I think it would be cool for them to support AMD chips natively. AMD has a lot of great offerings right now, some that are a little quicker than the intel counterpart, some that are a little slower (but nearly identical in 'real world' situations), but all that are ALOT cheaper. Obviously that would force alot of things to change, like their motherboards and etc. to support AMD Chipsets, but weren't they fighting about the Intel integrated graphics on their Macbooks? AMD Vision would be a sweet platform for the Macbook, and AMD Fusion would be great for the MB Pro (AMD Vision is the mid-range notebook 'set' which includes a low-end Radeon based GPU, and a dual core Sempron or Turion or Phenom, fusion is the same chips, or quad-core offerings, and a Radeon HD chip, all the way up to I believe the HD5850M) I'd be willing to bet Apple could build an AMD equivalent of the white Macbook that would perform identically for much less, imagine a $699 or $799 brand new Macbook? Yes please.

Not to mention, there have been times in the past where AMD was killing Intel, they were running circles around EVERYTHING Intel had to offer. Right now they are kind of neck and neck IMHO except for some very high end chips where Intel is king, but if AMD found themselves on top again (they go back and forth and have for years!), it would be great if Apple supported their hardware already and could implement it in that-years Macbook/iMac/Mac Pro.

Of course, unlike PPC vs x86, there is no issue with code. What runs on an Intel Mac would run on an AMD Mac, natively. It's just a matter of writing kexts to support the AMD Hardware, and modiying the boot code to support it (as a matter of fact I can boot OSX Snow Leopard on my quad-core AMD Machine. This thing outperforms a single CPU, Quad-Core Mac Pro, yet was built for barely over $1,000, which includes a VERY fact Radeon HD5870 GPU, which at the time was the fastest single-GPU card. And now that it's been a year, there is not much that's faster). In order to boot OSX I just needed third party kexts, and a modified boot kernel (like any Hackintosh, but in this case, one that's AMD specific), if some hobby programmers in their spare time can do it, so can Apple!
hmmm I wonder if your Hackintosh would beat my Quad MP (its the baseline 5,1) If I actually upgraded it to reasonable specs (moneys tight for me atm)... Not that I mind because I know mine remains LEGAL and STABLE for FCP work - thats the only reason I didnt hack. Id love to see a PowerMac G6 - 12-cores at 6Ghz - now that would truly thump Intel back where it belongs... 3rd place (Behind PPC and AMDx86)

MacHamster68
Jan 18, 2011, 10:58 AM
the PowerBook 15" should run well with Leopard, but i would really check first if you really need it as leopard is only available second hand and will cost depending on country ~the 80 mark and i would recommend for leopard to max out your ram on the Powerbook to the 2 GB its supporting

i settled for Tiger as i find it the best of the lot after OS9 , even running Tiger on my intel iMac on a second partition because i need apple talk another feature dropped in snow leopard
not to mention that Tiger runs on all my eMac's , iMacG3's and PowerMac's G4/G5 , even got it to run on my TAM with G3 processor upgrade card ,as none of the App's i use need leopard or snow leopard , and Tiger has another great feature called "classic " which means i can run OS9 games and apps on all my PPC's , that natively cant boot into OS9 any more

maflynn
Jan 18, 2011, 02:13 PM

Yep, G4 Cube, and pre OSX operating system

funny thing is, that if I run photoshop 5, ms office (98 and 2001) and other apps. They run just as fast as their current day counterparts on OSX. The huge difference is that I don't have full multitasking, the stability is a bit questionable I have to deal with extensions etc.

Still it was a great computer

roadbloc
Jan 18, 2011, 02:23 PM
What about OS X Lion ?
Not a hope in hell. Sorry, but PowerPC is long gone in the world of Mac and OS X. Maybe you can find an up to date linux distro that runs on PowerPC, if you wish to run modern software.

macgeek18
Jan 18, 2011, 02:54 PM
Your stuck with Leopard. It's still a great OS and still used by a lot of people. I'm running it now on my PM G4 867 typing this post and it runs fine. Your machine will handle it great.

el-John-o
Jan 18, 2011, 06:27 PM
hmmm I wonder if your Hackintosh would beat my Quad MP (its the baseline 5,1) If I actually upgraded it to reasonable specs (moneys tight for me atm)... Not that I mind because I know mine remains LEGAL and STABLE for FCP work - thats the only reason I didnt hack. Id love to see a PowerMac G6 - 12-cores at 6Ghz - now that would truly thump Intel back where it belongs... 3rd place (Behind PPC and AMDx86)

Do you have Windows 7 installed? I say hackintosh, but it's really not. It's more, "let's see if I can do it", and I have barely done anything with it. Not enough drive space, ordering a new HDD to dual boot. I would MUCH rather have a Mac, your absolutely right if Mac OS X is mission critical, buy a Mac, later this year I'm planning on buying a white Macbook, but I bought Snow Leopard for $29 at the Apple Store to tinker :)

For the record, I didn't use the hackintosh method that involves using a hacked ISO, I used a method that involves tricking the full unmodified DVD of OSX to think it's on a Mac. That's a whole lot more Legal, considering you don't have to download a disk image, you use the actual DVD. Now, as far as the legality otherwise, if the courts say jailbreaking is legal, why wouldn't a hackintosh (if your not selling it)? It's my hardware, and my software! Oh well, not the point.

I ask about Windows 7 because of the Windows experience index (but if there is another benchmark that's free I'll use it if you'd like a comparison). At stock clocks, Windows 7 gives me a 7.8 on Processor performance, and 7.2 on Gaming Graphics performance IIRC (not home at the moment). Granted, my chip is last years offering from AMD, it's equivalent now is a 6-core for the same price as I paid for my quad, with lots of other beefed up goodies (more cache and etc.) However, I believe they still only offer a quad on laptops, if I remember right (although some laptop manufacturers were installing the desktop phenom, no thank you! Power guzzler and heat maker! Works great in a desktop PC with a huge aftermarket heatsink, but keep that thing out of my notebook!)

-John

MacHamster68
Jan 20, 2011, 08:46 AM
if you plan to go for a used MacBook/pro or iBook or Powerbook be aware read these articles
http://www.macintouch.com/reliability/macbooks.html
http://www.macintouch.com/reliability/laptops.html

the Macbook/pro article is for the early ones not current ones

and i guess from this survey the 12"powerbook 1.5 is one of the most reliable ones

chrismacguy
Jan 20, 2011, 09:53 AM
Do you have Windows 7 installed? I say hackintosh, but it's really not. It's more, "let's see if I can do it", and I have barely done anything with it. Not enough drive space, ordering a new HDD to dual boot. I would MUCH rather have a Mac, your absolutely right if Mac OS X is mission critical, buy a Mac, later this year I'm planning on buying a white Macbook, but I bought Snow Leopard for $29 at the Apple Store to tinker :)

For the record, I didn't use the hackintosh method that involves using a hacked ISO, I used a method that involves tricking the full unmodified DVD of OSX to think it's on a Mac. That's a whole lot more Legal, considering you don't have to download a disk image, you use the actual DVD. Now, as far as the legality otherwise, if the courts say jailbreaking is legal, why wouldn't a hackintosh (if your not selling it)? It's my hardware, and my software! Oh well, not the point.

I ask about Windows 7 because of the Windows experience index (but if there is another benchmark that's free I'll use it if you'd like a comparison). At stock clocks, Windows 7 gives me a 7.8 on Processor performance, and 7.2 on Gaming Graphics performance IIRC (not home at the moment). Granted, my chip is last years offering from AMD, it's equivalent now is a 6-core for the same price as I paid for my quad, with lots of other beefed up goodies (more cache and etc.) However, I believe they still only offer a quad on laptops, if I remember right (although some laptop manufacturers were installing the desktop phenom, no thank you! Power guzzler and heat maker! Works great in a desktop PC with a huge aftermarket heatsink, but keep that thing out of my notebook!)

-John

I dont have Windows 7 installed, because for all Windows Tasks I have my HP Tablet PC (AMD Turion X2, ATI Radeon HD Mobility, 320GB HD etc etc), and I dont like to gum up my editing and development machine (Heavy Final Cut Studio and XCode user) with the fungus that is Windows (I have it for OneNote and OneNote alone). And Hackintosh is different to Jailbreaking, as Jailbreaking your not attempting to run iOS on another manufacturers phone. That would be equivalent to hackintoshing - there different concepts at the fundamental level.

el-John-o
Jan 20, 2011, 11:18 PM
I dont have Windows 7 installed, because for all Windows Tasks I have my HP Tablet PC (AMD Turion X2, ATI Radeon HD Mobility, 320GB HD etc etc), and I dont like to gum up my editing and development machine (Heavy Final Cut Studio and XCode user) with the fungus that is Windows (I have it for OneNote and OneNote alone). And Hackintosh is different to Jailbreaking, as Jailbreaking your not attempting to run iOS on another manufacturers phone. That would be equivalent to hackintoshing - there different concepts at the fundamental level.

Well I guess that makes sense. Either way, if you know of a good cross platform benchmarking tool I think it'd be sweet (I haven't booted Snow Leopard, like I said, but I've run it in a virtual machine as a 'windows' installation, as a proof of concept, and have installed it, thus removing it because I didn't have the space, to see if I could do it.)

I know the Phenom II 965 is supposed to beat the i7's of that generation, except for the Extreme Edition (a $1000 CPU, but it's beats the $500 CPU, and I paid $189 for it.), so I would be interested to see how it fares against the next generation i7 mobile CPU.

Although, currently, Intel does have the lead (I was looking through some benchmarks), in encoding and that sort of thing, but it's very marginal (1-3 seconds difference in some tasks, for example), and the cost difference is often half or less to go with AMD. There have been times when AMD struggled to boot a PC much less compete with Intel, and there have been times where it creamed Intel, but right now they are so close on many of their products it's not even funny, so why pay double? Not to mention, in my experience (granted, I was shopping for one particular system configuration, it might be different along the mid or low range or something), the motherboards have also been more expensive on the Intel side, AND with less features!

-John