PDA

View Full Version : Powermac G4 programming mode

calb818
Jan 18, 2011, 06:33 AM
I have an old Powermac G4, I have upgraded the RAM, and I now have a sonnet cpu upgrade to 1.4ghz. My problem is getting into programming mode to enable me to update the rom with the required firmware for the faster cpu. I am using a normal usb pc keyboard which has no power key button that is required to be pressed at boot up to enter programming mode so any help would be much appreciated.

chrismacguy
Jan 18, 2011, 07:46 AM
Even the Apple Keyboards that shipped with the PowerMac G4 didnt have the PowerButton (They did for the very very first G4s, but mid-way through that models run they switched to the Apple Pro Keyboard which lost the power button) - You want to hold down the Power Button on the front of the machine instead.

calb818
Jan 23, 2011, 09:44 AM
Even the Apple Keyboards that shipped with the PowerMac G4 didnt have the PowerButton (They did for the very very first G4s, but mid-way through that models run they switched to the Apple Pro Keyboard which lost the power button) - You want to hold down the Power Button on the front of the machine instead.

Many thanks for that, I have found the button I needed, it is the small button on the right below the power button, keep it pushed in when powering up until the machine gives a long beep and hey presto, it has gone into programming mode and does it all automatically.
Many thanks