PDA

View Full Version : iBook waking up to radio signals?!

point665
Jan 31, 2005, 10:15 PM
Hey guys,
I have noticed that my iBook wakes up from sleep just from GSM interference of my phone...

Its been doing it somewhat alot lately, and I noticed last night that it happens whenever I hear GSM interference over my speakers...

Its an iBook 800mhz g3, no airport or wireless setup.

I have it sleeping with the lid open (goto shutdown menu and hit sleep...)

Any clue on how to prevent this or what the hell is going on?

varmit
Feb 1, 2005, 06:37 AM
Hey guys,
I have noticed that my iBook wakes up from sleep just from GSM interference of my phone...

Its been doing it somewhat alot lately, and I noticed last night that it happens whenever I hear GSM interference over my speakers...

Its an iBook 800mhz g3, no airport or wireless setup.

I have it sleeping with the lid open (goto shutdown menu and hit sleep...)

Any clue on how to prevent this or what the hell is going on?

Is your phone close to the computer or is it across the house but still wakes it up. This is a regular phone or a wireless phone, or is it a cellular phone. GSM to me means cellular, might want to clear this up for everyone.

point665
Feb 1, 2005, 11:11 AM
The phone is about 14 inches away from iBook... This is a cellular GSM phone.

GSM causes the interference you usually hear over speakers when a cell phone is about to ring... I do not recall TDMA doing it, CDMA I think did.

Koodauw
Feb 1, 2005, 11:55 AM
I don't think your phone would cause that type of disturbance. Esp if you dont have wireless. Are you sure it couldn't be anything else? I havea GSM phone, and hear the feedback in the speakers...(although TDMA phone do the same thing) but never had any problems.

The only think I can think of is if you have your computer check to "Wake computer if modem hears a ring" or whatever it says, and some how that is interfering. Or perhaps the sound from the speakers is doing it. Try unplugging the speakers once.

varmit
Feb 1, 2005, 01:00 PM
Now, does your computer wake up when a call is coming in or when you make a call? Or does it do it randomly and you are just guessing that its the phone? This is when your laptop is plugged in right? Do you have to many things plugged in that would cause short brown outs that don't turn anything off. Such as to many electornic devices plugged into the same socket. Computers don't like fluxes in power, and personally, my laptop usually wakes up when I plug it in or unplug it, because it notices the change in power.

point665
Feb 1, 2005, 07:32 PM
Now, does your computer wake up when a call is coming in or when you make a call? Or does it do it randomly and you are just guessing that its the phone? This is when your laptop is plugged in right? Do you have to many things plugged in that would cause short brown outs that don't turn anything off. Such as to many electornic devices plugged into the same socket. Computers don't like fluxes in power, and personally, my laptop usually wakes up when I plug it in or unplug it, because it notices the change in power.

It wakes up when the phone receives a signal, not when receiving or placing a call.

My laptop is plugged in and I was thinking maybe it could just be coincidence that it happens with the phone sometimes, and that it really might be a flucuation in power (I live out in country area, power is not real great here...).

jadam
Feb 1, 2005, 08:08 PM
Well the way the ibook decides if its lid is open or closed is by a magnet sensor. Most likely what is happening is when your phone is receiving a call, it is generating some magnetic interference causing your ibook to think the lid was just opened.

point665
Feb 1, 2005, 08:50 PM
Well the way the ibook decides if its lid is open or closed is by a magnet sensor. Most likely what is happening is when your phone is receiving a call, it is generating some magnetic interference causing your ibook to think the lid was just opened.

That could be it... Although not sure if the phone would generate any magnetic fields, what I was actually thinking off the bat was that it might be when my phone interferes with my speakers it somehow screws with the iBook (sending back some signal?)... Like Koodauw said.

jadam
Feb 1, 2005, 08:51 PM
That could be it... Although not sure if the phone would generate any magnetic fields, what I was actually thinking off the bat was that it might be when my phone interferes with my speakers it somehow screws with the iBook (sending back some signal?)... Like Koodauw said.

Well if it was interfering with your speakers then it is definetly generating an E&M field, because that would be the only thing that would be affecting your speakers.

point665
Feb 2, 2005, 07:17 PM
Good point... Although cant non magnetic signals interfere with speakers?

gekko513
Feb 2, 2005, 09:29 PM
There's no such thing as an electric signal that isn't also a magnetic signal, hence electromagnetic signal. Any change in electric current will cause an electromagnetic field/signal.

colinet
Feb 3, 2005, 05:09 AM
I have had my Dual G5 actually wake from sleep at least twice when I've turned my office lights on (2 compact flourescent bulbs)

I suppose it's some electriconic thing - can you get bluetooth lightbulbs yet? -but I believe it's probably possessed.

point665
Feb 3, 2005, 08:23 AM
Damn... Well I guess Ill start moving the phone away from the computer and such, pretty weird that small power fluxes could cause a machine to wake up... I understand big ones where it switches to battery power but this is just like "wtf.."