PDA

View Full Version : Frank Chimero - The Setup

C64
Jan 18, 2011, 02:38 PM
Blog post from Frank Chimero about his setup and how he's using the MacBook Air as his primary machine:

http://blog.frankchimero.com/post/2799470127/the-setup

Nice read, especially for those who are wondering about doing the same thing.

gwsat
Jan 18, 2011, 03:26 PM
I have exactly the same rig as Mr. Chimero's. Although I run a completely different suite of programs from his the net effect of my MBA has been the same as his: it has replaced its predecessor, in my case a 17 inch 2.4GHz Santa Rosa MBP. I run Windows 7 and a couple of Windows apps in VMware Fusion's Unity mode. This lets me to simultaneously have open on the OS X desktop, Quicken for Windows and Wordperfect, along with, on the OS X side, Mail, Address book, Chrome with a number of tabs running all the time, and Calendar. The MBA handles all of these tasks with as much stability and at least as fast as the MBP does, although the MBP has 6GB of RAM. Like all laptops the MBA no doubt has its limits but I haven't hit any of them yet.

Jezak
Jan 19, 2011, 02:47 PM
Thanks for posting this. I started off with an 11inch MBA and went to a 13. I am almost to the point, that I am ready to see my 21.5inch iMac off. For my needs, I found I needed a little more screen real estate and storage than the 11inch offered. Great little machine though. I am drooling over the thought of a 27inch screen when I am home working.

C64
Jan 19, 2011, 04:59 PM
I have exactly the same rig as Mr. Chimero's. Although I run a completely different suite of programs from his the net effect of my MBA has been the same as his: it has replaced its predecessor, in my case a 17 inch 2.4GHz Santa Rosa MBP. I run Windows 7 and a couple of Windows apps in VMware Fusion's Unity mode. This lets me to simultaneously have open on the OS X desktop, Quicken for Windows and Wordperfect, along with, on the OS X side, Mail, Address book, Chrome with a number of tabs running all the time, and Calendar. The MBA handles all of these tasks with as much stability and at least as fast as the MBP does, although the MBP has 6GB of RAM. Like all laptops the MBA no doubt has its limits but I haven't hit any of them yet.
Do you experience the fan coming on much (i.e. clearly audible) using it like that?

Retops
Jan 19, 2011, 08:29 PM
First time reading Chimero's blog, but found complete agreement with his statement:

You know what I’ve learned? A person only flails around in regards to their rig when they don’t have a clear idea of what constitutes their work. Suitability and fit is paramount, and one is never going to find what they’re looking for if they don’t know what they need,

That advice would eliminate a lot of threads here.

leowyatt
Jan 20, 2011, 03:27 AM
Great read thanks to the OP for the link :)

I've not experienced the fans on my Air coming on at all, the highest I've seen via istat is 2001rpm

gwsat
Jan 20, 2011, 03:26 PM
Do you experience the fan coming on much (i.e. clearly audible) using it like that?
Never.

entatlrg
Nov 12, 2011, 01:23 PM
His blog is a good read. What he wrote after Steve Jobs passed away was well written.

I like his minimalist set up too!

johnhurley
Nov 12, 2011, 02:15 PM
First time reading Chimero's blog, but found complete agreement with his statement:

You know what Iíve learned? A person only flails around in regards to their rig when they donít have a clear idea of what constitutes their work. Suitability and fit is paramount, and one is never going to find what theyíre looking for if they donít know what they need,

To be honest most computer users don't really "need" all that much.

The processing power and capabilities of modern desktops and laptops is truly magnificent.

Since almost anyone even at lower budget ranges has access to huge amounts of computing power ... what you need is not especially relevant.

It turns quickly into a question of what you want. Figuring out what you want is a lot more complicated and subject to constant second guessing.