Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brinycbri

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
I want to buy a macbook for my bf(he's currently on windows so i'll be converting him :)), but he's not a big gamer at all or in need of spec'd out macbooks. So I was thinking, can I buy a cheaper macbook that is an older model (2008 or 2009)?

Or do I have to buy him a new model one? I mean there has to be a place that sells them depreciated or inventory clearo ut. Any thoughts? Thanks.

brinycbri

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
hmm..looks like it's GBP rather than dollars.

i was looking for a website so it'd have a warranty but maybe CL and ebay might have to do :/

JPamplin

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Nashville, TN
A better question might be...

Which older MacBook to buy?

I would recommend the late 2008 Macbook Unibody 2.4Ghz 13"

Why? Some think it was the best Macbook ever offered.

• Backlit keyboard
  • nVidia 9400M chipset, so better video
  • Aluminum and glass enclosure
  • Removable battery and hard drive
  • 8GB max RAM, and can carry 2 hard drives with adapter
  • Supports the latest Mac OS 10.9
  • Cheaper than any other Macbook Pro with similar specs

WildCard^

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2013
i have found 3 2007/2008 Macbooks on Craigslist for ~$150ish each. The first one I bought to do some iOS app coding in Xcode. I was so amazed that a 2007 with 1GB RAM worked so well vs a PC laptop half its age.

There of course is no warranty, but at that price, it doesn't have to last long to be worth it. In fact, if it breaks, you can sell it for parts for about that much, so you aren't out anything.

I am a PC guy but now understand why MACs are so expensive. They are so well put together that you can reasonably get 7+ years out of them.

WC

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
hmm..looks like it's GBP rather than dollars.

i was looking for a website so it'd have a warranty but maybe CL and ebay might have to do :/

You won't get a warranty FROM APPLE unless the machine is less than 3 years old and has applecare. Private sale could have a warrany since appleare follows the machine.

Last edited:

tkmcguire1

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2009
Oklahoma
I just got an awesome deal on a 2010 white unibody macbook,it is in great condition.
Got it from a store on ebay called techretire.
It was listed for $349 and they accepted my best offer of $330.
Excellent deal for a unibody 2010 macbook! They have older ones too with prices starting in the $150's.
i just got it yesterday,upgraded to Mavericks and it is running like a charm:D

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
I just got an awesome deal on a 2010 white unibody macbook,it is in great condition.
Got it from a store on ebay called techretire.
It was listed for $349 and they accepted my best offer of $330.
Excellent deal for a unibody 2010 macbook! They have older ones too with prices starting in the $150's.
i just got it yesterday,upgraded to Mavericks and it is running like a charm:D

Now install 16GB plus a 250 or 500GB SSD and get the best Geekbench score ever for a White MB :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.