Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fred222

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
Hey folks,

Just a quick question I was hoping I could get an answer to! A few years ago, when my last CD-R drive was dying (one of those Archos USB 1 drives!), I decided to go for a nice speedy (16x at the time...) drive in an external Oxford 911 firewire enclosure.

Well, as these drives do, this CD-R is getting flaky and starting to die on me. I've had my eye on getting a DVD-R drive for some time, but at this stage it seems most sensible to me to either go straight to a dual-layer capable drive, or wait for BluRay or whatever bastard child eventually sees the light of day as a result of current development efforts...

So, my question is... I have looked at newegg.com and found some dual layer internal IDE / ATAPI drives that support dual layer, e.g. :

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=27-152-035&DEPA=1

Not too pricy! Dual layer media is expensive but the DVD-R discs are cheap now so I could burn DVD-Rs until DL DVD-Rs become an order of magnitude cheaper when the next gen appears. I just wanted to bounce the situation off u techies prior to purchase, since this will be my first time changing drives in an external FW enclosure and I'd like to have reasonable suspicion that this drive might actually work in my enclosure before I plunking my card down and risking further abandoned hardware in drawers about the place... ;-)

Cheers!
Fred^222

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
fred222 said:
Hey folks,

Just a quick question I was hoping I could get an answer to! A few years ago, when my last CD-R drive was dying (one of those Archos USB 1 drives!), I decided to go for a nice speedy (16x at the time...) drive in an external Oxford 911 firewire enclosure.

Well, as these drives do, this CD-R is getting flaky and starting to die on me. I've had my eye on getting a DVD-R drive for some time, but at this stage it seems most sensible to me to either go straight to a dual-layer capable drive, or wait for BluRay or whatever bastard child eventually sees the light of day as a result of current development efforts...

So, my question is... I have looked at newegg.com and found some dual layer internal IDE / ATAPI drives that support dual layer, e.g. :

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=27-152-035&DEPA=1

Not too pricy! Dual layer media is expensive but the DVD-R discs are cheap now so I could burn DVD-Rs until DL DVD-Rs become an order of magnitude cheaper when the next gen appears. I just wanted to bounce the situation off u techies prior to purchase, since this will be my first time changing drives in an external FW enclosure and I'd like to have reasonable suspicion that this drive might actually work in my enclosure before I plunking my card down and risking further abandoned hardware in drawers about the place... ;-)

Cheers!
Fred^222
http://www.cdw.com/shop/search/Results.aspx?key=dual+layer&platform=mac&x=0&y=0

It probably works, but here are some that CDW says are Mac compatible. Might want to look at them to before buying. And sometimes, this stuff is guess and test to see what works when new stuff comes out like this.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Just in case, it's not DL DVD-R, it's DL DVD+R. The DL -R hasn't made it to market yet, the last I looked. This is one reason the DL+R media is soo expensive - no competition. I wouldn't bother with DVD DL until the drives support both +R and -R DL, and the media starts to come down in price. Blu-ray is going to be pricey for a while after they come onto the market.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.