PDA

View Full Version : Use mini with ADB keyboard/mouse

ftaok
Feb 1, 2005, 09:47 AM
Sorry if this has been asked before (Search function is overloaded).

My sister is asking about getting a new computer for the kids. This sounds like a perfect time to switch them to Macs. Now, they aren't made of money, so I want to save them as much as possible. Since the plan would be to get broadband and wireless as well, I want to reuse as much stuff as possible.

I have a Mac ADB keyboard and mouse that I'm not using (actually I have 2 of each). Is it possible to connect them to the mini via USB? I don't know if USB/ADB adapter exist. Also, since the old Mac keyboards had 2 ADB ports, would I be able to connect the mouse to the keyboard and the keyboard to the mini, thus needing only one adapter?

Thanks.

Bear
Feb 1, 2005, 09:56 AM
I'm not sure if such an adapter exists. I belive a keyboard and mouse is $58 from Apple. Or get the kbd fro apple and a multibutton mouse from elsewhere.

Besides how much would the adapter cost? How well would it really work, and how old is the keyboard in question and how much longer will it continue to work?

robbieduncan
Feb 1, 2005, 10:39 AM
$39 (http://www.datapro.net/products/UA-100.html) 1USB->2 ADB. Google is your friend!

ftaok
Feb 1, 2005, 11:48 AM
$39 (http://www.datapro.net/products/UA-100.html) 1USB->2 ADB. Google is your friend!
Thanks Robbie,

I did do a Google search and the only relevant hit I got was for a Belkin adapter. But belkin's site is so slow and buggy that I couldn't get any more information other that they were designed for the colored iMacs and supported OS 8.6.

The adapter that you linked is $40. For that kind of money, I'd suggest buying a new keyboard/mouse. I was looking for something around $10-15.

Thanks.

Norouzi
Feb 1, 2005, 11:52 AM
Yeah for the price of the adapter you could go out and find a decent USB keyboard, mouse combo (remember you can use ANY USB keyboard and mouse it dosen't have to be Apple's). Pluss if your sister's family is used to a 2 button mouse they'll be alot happier if they have one. I can't live without a scroll weel since I got my 2 button mouse.

ftaok
Feb 1, 2005, 11:54 AM
I'm not sure if such an adapter exists. I belive a keyboard and mouse is $58 from Apple. Or get the kbd fro apple and a multibutton mouse from elsewhere.

Besides how much would the adapter cost? How well would it really work, and how old is the keyboard in question and how much longer will it continue to work?All true. The keyboards and mice are over 10 years old, but they are in great shape. Apple stuff from that era are extremely rugged. I would expect them to work indefinately with moderate care.

As for the cost of the adapter, the one that Robbie linked was $40. Not worth it. For $10, I would consider using an adapter. Anything appreciably more, I'd would tell my sis to get new stuff.

UPDATE - I spoke to my sister and she likes the idea of using Macs. The main advantage is the size. She's planning on putting the new computer in the family room and astetics will play an important role. Somehow, a Dell tower won't quite match the decor. She took a look at the Apple site and she's interested in the 17" iMac G5. Both the iMac and Mac mini would suit her needs for looking nice in the room. Luckily, she has an Apple Store nearby where she can test it out. I told her to bring along some of the kid games that she has to make sure they run on Macs. I'm pretty sure that these games were/are hybrid Mac/PC, but I'm not sure if they'd run on OS X.

ft

ftaok
Feb 1, 2005, 11:56 AM
Yeah for the price of the adapter you could go out and find a decent USB keyboard, mouse combo (remember you can use ANY USB keyboard and mouse it dosen't have to be Apple's). Pluss if your sister's family is used to a 2 button mouse they'll be alot happier if they have one. I can't live without a scroll weel since I got my 2 button mouse.
Point noted. I think she would want to lean towards the Apple keyboard/mouse because asthetics are important. I don't think the 2-button mouse will be an issue since the computer will be mainly for the kids and I don't think they've locked into the Windows way of thinking yet.