Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Apologies for all the recent server issues.

I am trying to address them, and investigate what's going on.

arn

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
A few extra Xserves and a co-location at the opposite end of the country might clear it up. Prime advertising fees during MacWorld or WWDC get abnegated because of "server errors".

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Lacero said:
A few extra Xserves and a co-location at the opposite end of the country might clear it up. Prime advertising fees during MacWorld or WWDC get abnegated because of "server errors".

Gah. My biggest pet peve as of late is people coming off like they know the solution for everything. For all you know this could simply be a corrupt database file or one of a possible hundred things which yes could also include bandwidth and server limitations. I still find it highly suspect that these errors started in mass on and just after MW.

Arn is co will fix the issue. No worries. :)

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
SiliconAddict said:
Gah. My biggest pet peve as of late is people coming off like they know the solution for everything. For all you know this could simply be a corrupt database file or one of a possible hundred things which yes could also include bandwidth and server limitations. I still find it highly suspect that these errors started in mass on and just after MW.

Arn is co will fix the issue. No worries. :)
Actually, I started noticing the problems after vBulletin was updated last.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Ok...

Hopefully some things are fixed. I'm not certain... but somewhat conveniently we will be moving servers in the coming week.

This should bring a performance improvement during expos and what not... but the issues over the past few days have not been a server load issue... seems to be more of a software issue.

arn

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
arn said:
Ok...

Hopefully some things are fixed. I'm not certain... but somewhat conveniently we will be moving servers in the coming week.

This should bring a performance improvement during expos and what not... but the issues over the past few days have not been a server load issue... seems to be more of a software issue.

arn

So, when will MacRumors be down (if at all)? And out of curiosity, will Doctor Q be making pretty graphs of the Server Load vs. People On vs. Time vs. Expo?

relimw

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2004
SC
Mechcozmo said:
So, when will MacRumors be down (if at all)? And out of curiosity, will Doctor Q be making pretty graphs of the Server Load vs. People On vs. Time vs. Expo?

Hmm, that would actually be an interesting series of graphs, Doctor Q?

TranceClubMusic

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
Miami, FLorida
Whats up with all these Errors??

Warning: main(http://64.62.137.66/cgi-bin/advertpro/banners.fpl?region=4&mode=SSI&keyword=NULL): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! xdD in /home/macrumor/public_html/index.php on line 61

Warning: main(): Failed opening 'http://64.62.137.66/cgi-bin/advertpro/banners.fpl?region=4&mode=SSI&keyword=NULL' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/macrumor/public_html/index.php on line 61

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Off and on, access is still very patchy.
No opening of various site pages about 5 minutes ago (13:30pm GMT).

"Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got till it's gone?"

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Hi, apologies for this reply since the problem is being looked at but yesterday when I went to post and the server was busy and then it gave a double post. All is good today with that post but it is 10:15 am est and for the last 45mins. I have been getting server is busy please try again later. So I have used all 3 (Firefox,Camino and Safari) but still have the same message now 9 out of 10 times for each. I'm hoping this reply gets through and doesn't double post or get anyone that is working on this somewhat crazy :mad: Okay "Edit" it won't even take this reply it just times out and has a failed message and it's 10:40 am:confused: Got through@ 10:57am
I hope this can help FWIW thanks, Scott

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
Blue Velvet said:
Off and on, access is still very patchy.
No opening of various site pages about 5 minutes ago (13:30pm GMT).

"Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got till it's gone?"

hopefully joni mitchell and not the counting crows?

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Yep... realize access is still spotty.

New server is coming up soon... hopefully by end of week. transition will be over weekend. not 100% sure if new server will fix all the issues... but hoping. ;)

There may be some software issues at play. Still looking into it all.

arn

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Every other time it's gotten this bad, you've needed to run the off-line scripts... since the nightlies don't seem to keep up.

But you'll be doing much more than than when you switch over to the new servers.

Really surprising it held up this well for so long.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
arn said:
Yep... realize access is still spotty.

New server is coming up soon... hopefully by end of week. transition will be over weekend. not 100% sure if new server will fix all the issues... but hoping. ;)

There may be some software issues at play. Still looking into it all.

arn
Xserve? or still let me say this very softly-----------------pc's :eek: Arn i hope you bring back some type of membership soon so i can join. When this site isnt up the net is missing something very special.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
Well I had no idea there was a paid membership available! OOPPS I have been taking it all for granted, sorry. :eek:

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
maxterpiece said:
hopefully joni mitchell and not the counting crows?

The Counting Crows? Who they?

Site seems OK now but it feels like one whiff of a G5 powerbook rumour could send it into paroxysms of terminal chaos...

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
The threads on the right column of the front page seems to be hours behind the actual forums, whereas it used to be about 2 minutes or so behind. Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Raven VII said:
The threads on the right column of the front page seems to be hours behind the actual forums, whereas it used to be about 2 minutes or so behind. Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

Yes... side effect of the server issues. I hope much of this will be fixed with the server move...

arn

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.