Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bill McEnaney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 29, 2010
Hi everybody,

Do you know of any magazines where authors introduce Mac users to various programming languages? I want to write some articles about the Prolog programming language , but I don't know whether they would interest any Mac users.

Thanks.

Bill

Hansr

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2007
I read one once but it was crap. Not sure if it exists anymore at least not in paper format. Makes more sense for it to be on the web anyway.

Prolog isn't Mac specific so I don't think there is a reason to target Mac centric programming audience which as going to be more obj-c or c++ focused anyway.

I recommend just starting a blog. Or maybe write one on a blog that has multiple prolog articles already.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Magazine? on programming? How 1980s. :p I had plenty of "Compute!," "Byte" and similar rags back then.

I agree with what Hansr said, find an appropriate blog.

B

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
If you really want to publish in a magazine, perhaps Dr. Dobbs.

Sadly, even Dr. Dobbs no longer exists in print according to Wikipedia, it's just a monthly section in InformationWeek.

As a valued reader, we regret to inform you that Dr. Dobb's Journal ceased its standalone monthly magazine with the February 2009 issue. The quality editorial coverage you have come to expect from Dr. Dobb's Journal continues in its sister publication. InformationWeek will now include Dr. Dobb's Report once a month.

Saw 2600 at Barnes & Noble some time ago though...

B

Bill McEnaney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 29, 2010
I read one once but it was crap. Not sure if it exists anymore at least not in paper format. Makes more sense for it to be on the web anyway.

Prolog isn't Mac specific so I don't think there is a reason to target Mac centric programming audience which as going to be more obj-c or c++ focused anyway.

I recommend just starting a blog. Or maybe write one on a blog that has multiple prolog articles already.
I'm fairly new to Macs because I'm a Solaris guy. So maybe I should find a journal that's not Mac-specific.

A blog? That's a good idea, but a blog probably won't pay me a cent. I'm planning to write an article for Opera News because opera is my passion. A book called The Writer's Market says that magazine pays about $450 to $1,200 a manuscript. Sometimes it's good to linger in the publisher's Jurassic Period where readers still recognize paper when they see it. :D

Last edited:

Bill McEnaney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 29, 2010
Magazine? on programming? How 1980s. :p I had plenty of "Compute!," "Byte" and similar rags back then.

I agree with what Hansr said, find an appropriate blog.

B
The C/C++ User's Journal is still a paper magazine, I think. I might subscribe to it, too, if I learn to like C, C++, Objective-C, and languages like them. Before I do that, someone will say, "C#? How 2000s." :p

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
The C/C++ User's Journal is still a paper magazine, I think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C/C%2B%2B_Users_Journal said:
The magazine was discontinued in 2006 with the February issue carrying a cover letter from CMP Media informing readers that no subsequent issues would be published. The publishers offered to refund remaining subscriptions or to roll them over to another magazine, Dr. Dobb's Journal. The cover letter stated that Dr Dobb's Journal would now "feature expanded C and C++ coverage". In 2009 Dr Dobbs Journal has been itself discontinued as a standalone publication, merging with InformationWeek magazine.

Unfortunately .... not.

EDIT: Seriously, have you considered self-publishing via Kindle or iBooks? Charge $0.99 for the articles. You will have a better shot at reaching readers (If you get 1000 readers, you net $700) than in print.

B

Last edited:

Bill McEnaney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 29, 2010
Unfortunately .... not.

EDIT: Seriously, have you considered self-publishing via Kindle or iBooks? Charge $0.99 for the articles. You will have a better shot at reaching readers (If you get 1000 readers, you net $700) than in print.

B
I love that idea, balamw. Thanks. I've hard that to sell a Kindle book at Amazon.com, companies need to sign a complex contract. But I don't know what I would need to sign to sell self-published Kindle books, or iBooks, that way. I read Kindle books with my iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.