Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Ok; I know the title is really weird...I'll try to explain. I'm in need of some code I can run through Terminal to make iTunes crash. I don't want to ruin anything! (but this is needed for a video I'm working on.) If there's no code that anyone can come up with, is there another easy way to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance!

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Command + Q on the keyboard.

Or, open a terminal, run ps -A, find the process number for itunes, then type kill -9 "pid" where "pid" is the process id of itunes as given by the ps -A command.

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Command + Q on the keyboard.

Or, open a terminal, run ps -A, find the process number for itunes, then type kill -9 "pid" where "pid" is the process id of itunes as given by the ps -A command.

Thanks. Sorry I should of clarified: I need it to generate a crash report after it closes. (That's why I was truly looking for a way to crash iTunes, but not harm it)

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Thanks. Sorry I should of clarified: I need it to generate a crash report after it closes. (That's why I was truly looking for a way to crash iTunes, but not harm it)

In that case, just keep using it. iTunes will take care of the crashing eventually. ;)

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Code:
killall -SEGV iTunes
I recommend reading the man pages for killall and sigaction so you understand at least vaguely what it's doing. I expect this recommendation will have little or no effect.

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
I recommend reading the man pages for killall and sigaction so you understand at least vaguely what it's doing. I expect this recommendation will have little or no effect.

Thanks! Worked like a charm. Now I can crash iTunes on demand..wooo. :p

woofits

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2013
I realize this thread is a dead letter office. But in answer to the original question, Command-T crashes iTunes every time. I know this because I accidentally do it frequently when I mean to Comman-Tab my way to another app, and hit command-T, like open a new tab on most browsers.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
In that case, just keep using it. iTunes will take care of the crashing eventually. ;)

Does it indeed? Not in my experience. I have plenty of complaints, but none about it crashing.

I realize this thread is a dead letter office. But in answer to the original question, Command-T crashes iTunes every time. I know this because I accidentally do it frequently when I mean to Comman-Tab my way to another app, and hit command-T, like open a new tab on most browsers.

Only if you have a visualizer installed that crashes.

Last edited:

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Command-T crashes iTunes every time. I know this because I accidentally do it...
Command-T is supposed to bring up the visualizer (color organ/lightshow/whatever). It does on my Macs. Check your Visualizer submenu selection in iTunes' 'View' menu. There are some old visualizer modules out there that can cause crashes, but Apple's 'iTunes Visualizer' should not.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I didn't even realize the current version of iTunes still had a visualizer... I had figured in doing away with the bloat they got rid of that... not that it mattered... as soon as iOS gained the ability to update itself OTA, I stopped opening iTunes ever. I use Spotify for all my music needs. I can't even imagine what Apple could do to make me ever want to use iTunes again (duplicating Pandora sure won't do that. If I wanted Pandora, I'd use Pandora. I don't like Pandora though - I like Spotify. And I can't imagine Apple duplicating Spotify + all of the Spotify apps I like using.)

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
What is the purpose of a "created crash" ? For all intent and purpose and by definition it really isn't a crash as far as bug reporting and debugging is concerned.

If it works and you purposefully crash it it's not a crash.

ymmv

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I saw the first post.

If he's trying to show a video of iTunes "crashing" using the kill command will generate a different log than an actual crash.

If this is for a non-educational movie, then it doesn't really matter. IE, a movie with a 1337 hacker who can crash iTunes. That's how you know he's 1337.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.