PDA

View Full Version : G4 Ibook ram put into a 12" powerbook?

trinidad
Feb 1, 2005, 01:12 PM
Hello,

Could anyone tell me what happens if you put a 512mb DDR 266 Ibook ram into a 12" powerbook? Will there be any negative effects to the powerbook's performance?

I have a spare stick of ibook ram, while a friend of mine has just gotten a brand new 12" powerbook than needs ram..so.....just need to know if the ibook ram won't blow the whole thing up or anything horrible like that.

Also I've read from this topic at the Whirlpool forums
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=286830

And at Appletalk
http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=3723

Regarding how the wrong ram inside a 12" powerbook could potentially damage the laptop's board. Any insight on this would be appreciated (ie, anyone actually try out ibook ram inside a pbook?).

thanks in advance :)

varmit
Feb 1, 2005, 01:17 PM
Hello,

Could anyone tell me what happens if you put a 512mb DDR 266 Ibook ram into a 12" powerbook? Will there be any negative effects to the powerbook's performance?

I have a spare stick of ibook ram, while a friend of mine has just gotten a brand new 12" powerbook than needs ram..so.....just need to know if the ibook ram won't blow the whole thing up or anything horrible like that.

Also I've read from this topic at the Whirlpool forums
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=286830

And at Appletalk
http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=3723

Regarding how the wrong ram inside a 12" powerbook could potentially damage the laptop's board. Any insight on this would be appreciated (ie, anyone actually try out ibook ram inside a pbook?).

thanks in advance :)
If you don't want to have a possible busted PB, don't do it. Otherwise, if you believe you can get it fixed by using the PB's Applecare, go for it. Either way, its risky, and might not show its problems right away. Plus, I don't know if the RAM you are putting in is slower, 266 vs. "what is the standard speed for PB RAM". If it is slower, it will slow down the PB a little bit.

trinidad
Feb 1, 2005, 01:23 PM
Off the top of my head I think the Pbook's recommended ram module is a DDR333.

Ah well. I suppose I'll try and open up the pbook and check whether the ram really might touch the board, before I do anything. Most likely, my friend will probably opt to get 'proper' ram though..lol

Any more comments on compatibility would be appreciated :)

maya
Feb 1, 2005, 01:25 PM
Putting faster ram in a PowerBook or iBook will work such as PC 2700, 3200, etc.... SO-DIMM. The ram rating for the iBook is PC2100 and the PowerBook PC 2700, if you are putting PC2100 (iBook ram) in a PowerBook that has a ram rating of PC2700 it will not work.

If you put PowerBook PC2700 ram in an iBook PC2100 ram it WILL WORK.

Lets recap:

Putting PC2700 (PowerBook ram) in an iBook or PowerBook WILL WORK.

Putting PC2100 (iBook ram) in a PowerBook WILL NOT WORK.

Putting PC2100 (iBook ram) in an iBook WILL WORK.

Clear enough. :)

Last minute note: If you have a PowerBook that uses PC2100 ram then it WILL WORK(hope I have not confused you). ;) :)

jackieonasses
Feb 1, 2005, 01:27 PM
Putting faster ram in a PowerBook or iBook will work such as PC 2700, 3200, etc.... SO-DIMM. The ram rating for the iBook is PC2100 and the PowerBook PC 2700, if you are putting PC2100 (iBook ram) in a PowerBook that has a ram rating of PC2700 it will not work.

If you put PowerBook PC2700 ram in an iBook PC2100 ram it WILL WORK.

Lets recap:

Putting PC2700 (PowerBook ram) in an iBook or PowerBook WILL WORK.

Putting PC2100 (iBook ram) in a PowerBook WILL NOT WORK.

Putting PC2100 (iBook ram) in an iBook WILL WORK.

Clear enough. :)

Last minute note: If you have a PowerBook that uses PC2100 ram then it WILL WORK(hope I have not confused you). ;) :) Thanks maya, I gave my friend a 512 stick (that came from my powerbook) and i was almost sure it would just scale down to the slower speed. Thanks for calming my nerves.

kyle

trinidad
Feb 1, 2005, 01:30 PM
LOL okay then. That was clear enough. Thanks for the input! :D

Though on the other hand, I don't get how I've come across reviews on certain types of PC2100, whose users have stuck in pbook and got it working alright.

Anyway, i'm leaning towards the 'wont bother trying it out in case I wreck the pbook' stance.