PDA

View Full Version : When do you consider your Mac outdated?

wrldwzrd89
Feb 1, 2005, 01:51 PM
I've come up with different levels of being outdated:

1. Your Mac model has been replaced with a newer model.
2. Some (but not all) current Macs at lower levels than yours (if applicable) beat yours on at least 1 item on the tech specs page.
3. Some (but not all) current Macs at lower levels than yours (if applicable) beat yours on ALL items on the tech specs page.
4. ALL current Macs, regardless of price level, beat yours on ALL items on the tech specs page.

Are any of these four the trigger for you to consider your Mac outdated? Do you upgrade/replace your Mac at any of these points? Do you have additional points to add to this list? If you have additional points, and they come in between ones I have already listed, feel free to copy my list and renumber as necessary.

brap
Feb 1, 2005, 01:56 PM
I'd love to say "When it stops doing everything I want - I've yet to upgrade!".

But I can't.

I'm an upgrade whore; 2 revisions is usually too far behind for me.

PickledSquirrel
Feb 1, 2005, 02:00 PM
I consider my mac outdated when I spend more time on my present mac drooling over new machines on various webpages, than I spend actually working on the one I've got:)

-Squirrel

maya
Feb 1, 2005, 02:04 PM
It outdated the time it released in reality, however as for me its outdated when there is either a new processor generation or the MHz road map is about 3-5x the speed of my present which also includes the ram, HDD, etc... :)

munkle
Feb 1, 2005, 02:43 PM
A new form factor...as this normally signifies a significant change, rather than just an evolutionary progression.

Mechcozmo
Feb 1, 2005, 02:46 PM
Outdated? Never!

Sometimes a few product cycles, then yeah it is "outdated" but Macs last so long and can do so much they are never really "Junk" like a 3-year-old PeeeCeee

iShater
Feb 1, 2005, 02:52 PM
I think all of the above applies when we think if a system is outdated. The question is at what point do you take action and upgrade.

For me the path has been every 3 years as long as the new system doubles everything on my current system as a base model. So for me, May 2006 my iBook will be 3 years old, and by then I am sure it will be a 1.6GH system, 512MB RAM, etc. etc.

The biggest thing for me though is whether I have the money to upgrade and if my system can still do everything I need it to. These last two points are the deal breakers/makers for me. I would never consider upgrading of the 3year/double category was not met.

Blue Velvet
Feb 1, 2005, 02:54 PM
This is a painful subject to even consider... :(

Having bought a dual G4 1.42 3 weeks before the G5s were released, it's a rather sensitive topic... still at least it's got FW800, Superdrive, 2gb RAM.

I will consider this machine outdated when I can no longer run the latest OS & apps on it but will probably replace in about 2-3 years time depending on my bank balance.

So my choice would be number 4.
(ALL current Macs, regardless of price level, beating mine on ALL items on the tech specs page.)

jadam
Feb 1, 2005, 02:59 PM
My comp feels outdated when I can't run the latest software without the comp feeling like a bitch.

Case in point, when Tiger is released my ibook will be officially outdated for me. No coreimage support, no corevideo, games wont run(and cant that well on it right now).

ravenvii
Feb 1, 2005, 03:00 PM
To me, "outdated" means it couldn't take full advantage of the latest OS. "Really outdated" means the newest OS is no longer supported.

But I don't really base my purchases on whether my system is outdated or not. It's basically based on how long I had it and how much money I have at the moment. Whim of the moment in other words :D

musicpyrite
Feb 1, 2005, 03:05 PM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=86665
Same exact thread topic. :D

I usually consider my main computer out of date when I get enough money to buy a new one. So about every 2-4 years. The outdated computer is either dedicated as a file server, or given to a family member.

Norouzi
Feb 1, 2005, 03:07 PM
I don't consider my Mac outdated till I can't run a current OS on it. I used my 8600 quite succesfuly until 10.2 was released then it was time to upgrade.

zelmo
Feb 1, 2005, 03:16 PM
I consider my mac outdated when I spend more time on my present mac drooling over new machines on various webpages, than I spend actually working on the one I've got:)

-Squirrel

Dead on! Anyone who claims any formula other than this one is just full of it.

I don't think I've lasted more than 3-4 years on any Mac I've ever owned. Typically, I'll upgrade when I simply can't take it any longer, because all of the cool new hardware is making me crazy with envy. At that point, our current Mac will mysteriously start to fall into disarray. My wife and daughter will then complain a few times, I will studiously work to revive said Mac, and my wife will ultimately come to the conclusion that it is time to upgrade. Marriage is all about teamwork and common goals.

Reminds me, if I start the "program" now, I'll be ready to get a Mac mini and 23" Cinema Display right about the time our G4 iMac 800 goes belly up and the mini goes G5. :D

Raid
Feb 1, 2005, 03:22 PM
As a guy currently using a 466Mhz G4 and a 500Mhz Ti-book, outdated usually is a state of mind. I've upgraded the video card on my tower and added RAM to both machines (neither of them yet maxed out on RAM). They still both get the job done and run the latest system so I don't really consider them completely outdated. However I have been keeping a close eye on the recent drops in prices. I'll probably get a new desktop in the next year or so, but I'll keep my old G4 running.

I guess you should put me half way between
outdated when I spend more time on my present mac drooling over new machines and Outdated? Never!

rickvanr
Feb 1, 2005, 06:04 PM
I consider my mac out of date when the newest version of mac os will not run on it, for instance, my B&W albeit slower then a G5, still does the things I need it for, and loads 10.3, on the other hand, my performa 6400 does not, and has been obsolete for years.

Jovian9
Feb 1, 2005, 06:17 PM
I usually consider my Mac outdated when I have to pay an extra $150-$350 to continue having a warranty on it (the 2 year AppleCare warranty after year 1). I usually try to upgrade around the time my 1 year warranty is up. I look at it this way:
A. I spend $150-$350 after the first year to get the AppleCare Warranty and keep my same machine (with 1 year old specs)
B. I sell my machine on eBay (where value tends to hold fairly high on recent Macs) and spend around $300 (usually around this amount) and buy the latest release of whichever Mac I want (with new specs and a new 1 year warranty). Usually I buy a machine with similar pricing to what I get out of my Mac (I try to never spend more than $500 when upgrading).
-I end up spending a little more year-to-year to do this, but my Mac stays up to date and I do not have to always buy the latest OS or iLife if I happen to upgrade around that time.

-I do consider the AppleCare warranty (for 2 extra years) IMPORTANT if I'm going to keep the machine. I've bought the AppleCare warranty before and have had to use it after the one year warranty was up to have an LCD screen replaced and a SuperDrive replaced. Both would have been costly without AppleCare.

angelrendon
Feb 1, 2005, 06:24 PM
Dead on! Anyone who claims any formula other than this one is just full of it.

I don't think I've lasted more than 3-4 years on any Mac I've ever owned. Typically, I'll upgrade when I simply can't take it any longer, because all of the cool new hardware is making me crazy with envy. At that point, our current Mac will mysteriously start to fall into disarray. My wife and daughter will then complain a few times, I will studiously work to revive said Mac, and my wife will ultimately come to the conclusion that it is time to upgrade. Marriage is all about teamwork and common goals.

Reminds me, if I start the "program" now, I'll be ready to get a Mac mini and 23" Cinema Display right about the time our G4 iMac 800 goes belly up and the mini goes G5. :D

You may be insane.

point665
Feb 1, 2005, 07:44 PM
Im on number 4 and I have a iBook 800 combo 12.1 inch g3... less than 2 years old. Im thinking about getting a Mac Mini but my friend who always says to stop putting money into my Dodge Charger and buy a Powermac g5 says to put the money in my car and not buy a Mac Mini.

chv400
Feb 1, 2005, 08:20 PM
Its outdated when i can afford a "NEWER" one. Right now I have a B&W with a 600 mhz G4 Card 512 RAM Sonnet Tempo HD Pioneer Super Drive 40 gig HD, 80 gig HD, 160 gig HD ATI 9200 w 128 vRAM.

Unfortunatly I'm starting to enjoy playing games mostly ones like Halo so its time for a replacement even though i can play halko quite well on it but it would be nice to have some shaders so i can at least see the fire coming out of the flame thrower. The Mac Mini looks promising...

relimw
Feb 1, 2005, 08:25 PM
I consider mine outdated when the new processors are 4-5x faster... I would've bought the dual 2.5, but Steve promised the dual 3, and I thought, well, this system runs fine for now, I'll wait a year, get the dual 3.... And I'm still waiting :eek:

My dual 500s still do most everything I *need* them to do, but any of the new fps games all want 867 or better, so it's time for me to upgrade soon... Steve better have that dual 3 for me at WWDC this year... :)

Bear
Feb 1, 2005, 08:29 PM
When is the system obsolete? When I have no use for it anymore. Of course it just may not be my main system. I like the idea of keeping a system around to test things on - like new versions of software. So if there is an issue, I don't mess up my main system.

So, it seems my current Mac has a 2+ year life span as my main system. I'll probably be replacing it with whatever the next PowerMac update is.

quagmire
Feb 1, 2005, 08:31 PM
I will feel my powerbook is outdated is when it finally goes G5. I feel macs go outdated is when the architecture changes significantly in the Processor like when the G5 is based off the Power5 instead of the Power4 or when the G6 comes out.

revenuee
Feb 1, 2005, 08:35 PM
i'm hitting six years on my current model -- i'de love to upgrade but it still does what it has to do ... i'll probably upgrade in my 4th year of university -- that way i can still take advantage of the EDU pricing -- i'm in my second year now -- plus i'm waiting for the G5 laptops -- so i may be waiting a while

not to mention that i still have to buy several lenses for my DSLR -- since my computer can still process the images -- a wider lens selection, and better lenses is a better investment

Perushka
Feb 1, 2005, 08:42 PM
I have seven computers in my house, one is a PC which I got for free. My Macs range from an old powerbook wallstreet to an iMac G4 17" 1ghz. I have a Pismo with added RAM and a 40gb HD, a PB Ti 867mhz, an iMac G4 15" 800mhz. My old powerbook was at a friend for a year, and I was gonna throw it out until I discovered Yellow Dog Linux, which I am gonna load onto it just for fun. All my other machines run Panther fine. (By the way, does anybody remember when the iMac G4 17" 1ghz was selling? I forgot how old it is.) I could really use a higher end machine like an iMac now, but I think I'll wait at least until the first revision, maybe more. In the meantime to ease my pain, I'm considering selling a lot of old crap on ebay. If I come up with enough cash, maybe I'll get myself a 12" iBook.

Apple Hobo
Feb 1, 2005, 08:44 PM
I'm getting by with a 4+ year-old 400MHz G3. :eek:

My iMac is far from speedy, but I can run it very hard without missing a beat.

miloblithe
Feb 1, 2005, 08:44 PM
4 years for a desktop
3 years for a laptop

more or less

mkrishnan
Feb 1, 2005, 08:49 PM
When they rip it from the fleshless hands of my lifeless corpse!!!! :p

Hmmm, seriously, this is my first Mac, and I'm torn between trying to sell it and upgrade around Tiger's release, or just holding on to it, and seeing how long it can be useable.

To be honest, though, I kinda felt that way about my last laptop too, which was a Compaq P1/150 with 48 megs of ram (I had a desktop in between, or else work computers...ugh). I ran Win95 with it and stubbornly refused to upgrade (I did briefly have Linux but I had video card issues). I miss that computer. It had a trackball...mmm...trackball. :D

But my iBook I love much more. Much much more. So I'm torn...keep it, stay Panther, keep it, go Tiger, sell it, go Tiger.... I guess we'll see!

Jovian9
Feb 1, 2005, 09:16 PM
(By the way, does anybody remember when the iMac G4 17" 1ghz was selling? I forgot how old it is.)

They started selling this model in February 2003 (I ordered it the day it was released to upgrade from my 15" 800MHz FP iMac G4). I just sold mine in October to get the G5 iMac. Usually I upgrade every year or so but this one I kept for over a year-and-a-half b/c I just couldn't part with it. I still prefer the G4 design over the G5. I just do not feel as close to the G5 iMac as I did my G4's:) I'll probably buy another G4 iMac someday to use as an internet machine when my wife and I settle down and buy a house.

jonat8
Feb 1, 2005, 09:32 PM
My average time for using a machine as a main machine is ~2 years. But my Mac seems so speedy and works so well for what I want it to do, I can imagine it lasting longer than that. Of course, I might be tempted by what is released in the future ;)

I always find a use for old computers, though. I gave my last desktop to my dad to use on his network as a backup machine. The desktop before that is also still going strong, but I hardly switch it on nowadays (It's a Pentium 166Mhz). I put more RAM in my old Windows laptop (which I used before I bought the PB) and have it on the network as an IIS/MSDE server for my web design projects.

Lacero
Feb 1, 2005, 09:35 PM
When an essential app I use everyday feels too sluggish and buying a new, faster mac would mean I work faster. Otherwise I don't consider my Mac outdated. I guess I never play games so my machines last 3-4 years.

DVW86
Feb 1, 2005, 09:59 PM
Your Mac is outdated when it no longer can perform the tasks that need done. Whether that is one year or ten doesn't make much difference. If it works for it's intended purpose than leave it alone. I replaced my 500MHz G3 iBook when I wanted to use iDVD. My G3 iMac is still serving it's original purpose as a family computer for web browsing, print server, family web server, and kids school work. I won't replace it until it breaks or it can no longer run the software necessary for my kids school work.

wPod
Feb 1, 2005, 10:07 PM
i dont think ive ever replaced an 'outdated' computer. i use them until they wear out. then use them more. i still have a pentium II sitting in the corner of my room. it works (as well as any wintel box :-/) but i dont use it. i guess it was replaced b/c i dont have enough desk space for lots of monitors. as for my mac history i had an iMac through 3 logic board replacements before i got tired of it and got my PB. and i dont plan on replacing my PB anytime soon. its a rev A so all availible computers have more than an 867 mhz G4 right now. but it still rocks. i think i might get embareced though if wintel laptops started being faster than mine. but that will probably be a few years from now! happy upgrading!

OryHara
Feb 1, 2005, 10:33 PM
my mac is outdated when i have enough money to buy a new one, which takes a while, i still havnt made the jump to a G5

MacNut
Feb 1, 2005, 10:35 PM
Im gonna say when its not worth anything anymore or when it crashes more than Billy Joel or when it is keeping my door opened.

MacNut
Feb 1, 2005, 10:39 PM
It is truly out of date when it wont boot OS X

NEENAHBOY
Feb 1, 2005, 10:53 PM
I'll probably never consider it outdated, but I'll probably make several adjustments along the way just to make sure. For instance, once Tiger comes out, I'm putting 2-1GB sticks in my PB. I like RAM. :)

cyanide
Feb 1, 2005, 11:54 PM
I didn't know macs became outdated...okay in all honesty though my parents have had the original iMac DV since it was available. 400mhz, slot-load, no burner or dvd. 320 ram and it runs panther like a champ, even with 5 users on it. (most of which never log out thanks to fast user switching) that thing has seen hell, and gets treated like crap (im the only one who comes over and cares for it) but it serves its purpose and always will. internet, email. bada bing bada boom.

killuminati
Feb 1, 2005, 11:54 PM
when it wont turn on.

greenleaf
Feb 2, 2005, 02:51 AM
When its really outdated?...i guess when i cant do what i want to do on it but when it feels outdated?The day something newer and faster arrives :D
The day dual 3gz g5s come im ordering :D

wrldwzrd89
Feb 2, 2005, 04:42 AM
It is truly out of date when it wont boot OS X
I could turn that argument around and say that the new PowerBooks, for example, were out of date the moment they were released because they can't boot anything older than the current Mac OS X release, 10.3.7 (or 10.3.8 if that's what Apple ends up releasing with the PowerBooks)...then again, that doesn't make much sense, does it? ;)

AmigoMac
Feb 2, 2005, 04:44 AM
I considered my first PB 12" (867 MHz) rev. a outdated when the iBook reached 1GHz, USB 2.0, OK, no screen spanning but there is a hack, the graphic card seems to be better and it's not so hot... I had 384 MB RAM because apple delivered 128 on the board and now I have 768 MB ;) sold that one and with the money got this one with BT and AE, bigger HD, that was a big change... I will consider this outdated when the iBooks come with a 64 MB graphics card for Tiger, or when I get enough money to sell this and with some money extra get the next rev. on the PB line, personally this latest rev. don't groove it totally against my iBook (Not for my needs, by now) ...

wrldwzrd89
Feb 2, 2005, 04:59 AM
I considered my first PB 12" (867 MHz) rev. a outdated when the iBook reached 1GHz, USB 2.0, OK, no screen spanning but there is a hack, the graphic card seems to be better and it's not so hot... I had 384 MB RAM because apple delivered 128 on the board and now I have 768 MB ;) sold that one and with the money got this one with BT and AE, bigger HD, that was a big change... I will consider this outdated when the iBooks come with a 64 MB graphics card for Tiger, or when I get enough money to sell this and with some money extra get the next rev. on the PB line, personally this latest rev. don't groove it totally against my iBook (Not for my needs, by now) ...
You're pretty much like me then - you wait until your Mac is completely outdated in just about every aspect before replacing it (at least that's what I plan to do with this iMac - it turns 1 year old on February 6, 2005).

caveman_uk
Feb 2, 2005, 05:37 AM
This is a painful subject to even consider... :(

Having bought a dual G4 1.42 3 weeks before the G5s were released, it's a rather sensitive topic... still at least it's got FW800, Superdrive, 2gb RAM.

I will consider this machine outdated when I can no longer run the latest OS & apps on it but will probably replace in about 2-3 years time depending on my bank balance.

So my choice would be number 4.
(ALL current Macs, regardless of price level, beating mine on ALL items on the tech specs page.)
I'm about to upgrade my MDDs processor to a 1.42GHz DP machine - I'll get another two years out of it then. I haven't got the money for a new powermac and I prefer the MDD form factor anyway. My G3 ibook is getting a bit left behind though, so I guess I'll upgrade that when Applecare runs out - November.

AmigoMac
Feb 2, 2005, 06:07 AM
You're pretty much like me then - you wait until your Mac is completely outdated in just about every aspect before replacing it (at least that's what I plan to do with this iMac - it turns 1 year old on February 6, 2005).

Ohh! we have something in common ... :eek: :D ;)

Yes, this iBook will be 1 year in may and I'm looking forward to see what
the next rev. brings, will be a long time before seeing a new rev. maybe 2/3 weeks before WWDC ... Looking forward to get one for my girl... :)

asphalt-proof
Feb 2, 2005, 07:47 AM
My iMac will become outdated the day I can convince my wife that its outdated. Until then its just wishful thinking.

When was using Windows machines, I replaced them about every 3 years. That was when they became unusable (one literally blew up in the middle of the night... it sounded like gunfire in my room and I found the CD tray open with the CD across the room. Noboby has been able to tell me why it happened. Another died very slowly and on its third birthday expired.)

I think that when it can't run the latest iteration of OS software is when its outdated.

JeffTL
Feb 2, 2005, 08:31 AM
A computer is seriously outdated when the latest version of the standard platform OS (Mac OS or Windows) cannot run on it, but that is not to say it's obsolete; you can do a lot with OS 9 or Windows 98. If it has OS X (Jaguar/Panther) or Windows (XP and maybe even 2000) but cannot at least theoretically run the latest Microsoft Office, either it's out of date or you need to buy more RAM and prolong its usable life a bit.

But as a pratical matter, my upgrade cycle system is like this:

Laptops: Generally about 3 years, roundabouts when a battery goes bad near that time. Displays are looking bad by then, the hard drive has taken a lot of bumps, and the computer itself is probably either seriously outdated per the above or else simply cannot run much recent software. I don't want to have a laptop die in the line of duty, so I am probably replacing my iBook next year with either a 12" PowerBook or another iBook. My sister will probably get my current iBook, since it'll probably still be running then, just not likely to much longer withstand the bumps and manic typing of college life.

Desktops: I have two of these in serious usage, two more old ones floating around for old games. I like keep at least one of the two main desktops under 3 years. I'll probably keep the current ones until they wear out, though if the Dell becomes even worse than usual for a Dell I might pop it out for a Mac mini, particularly if it ever needs any expensive (i.e. beyond a drive or so) repairs; it's hitting the big #3 in December and I don't think it'd be worth replacing the proprietary mobo if it went bad.

Moxiemike
Feb 2, 2005, 08:35 AM
6 years! Wow. Long time. :)

I generally used to do a 2 year upgrade path, alternating my powerbook and my powermac every other year.

Since 1998:

1998: G3 266. 512mb ram. 20gb HD. CD-Rom. (ol' beige)
1999: G3 333. 256mb ram. 10gb HD. CD-Rom. (Lombard)
2000: G4 450x2. 768mb ram. 2x40gb HD. CD-Rom. (Graphite case)
2001: G4 667. 512mb Ram. 30gb HD. CD-Rom (tibook)
2002: G4 1ghz x 2. 1.5gb ram. 2x80gb HD. Superdrive (1x! Quicksilver)
2003: G4 1ghz. 768mb ram. 40gb HD. Combo Drive (12" al-book)
2004: G5 1.8x2. 2gb ram. 2x250 HD. 8x Superdrive.
2005? Probably will break my cycle. Buying a D2x and 17-55 (revenuee will know what i'm talking about!) so I think I might have maybe a dollar or two when it's all said and done. ;)

i'm hitting six years on my current model -- i'de love to upgrade but it still does what it has to do ... i'll probably upgrade in my 4th year of university -- that way i can still take advantage of the EDU pricing -- i'm in my second year now -- plus i'm waiting for the G5 laptops -- so i may be waiting a while

not to mention that i still have to buy several lenses for my DSLR -- since my computer can still process the images -- a wider lens selection, and better lenses is a better investment

varmit
Feb 2, 2005, 08:41 AM
When the newest OS doesn't run on it. So I'm still good.

Bear
Feb 2, 2005, 10:50 AM
2004: G5 1.8x2. 2gb ram. 2x250 HD. 8x Superdrive.
2005? Probably will break my cycle. Buying a D2x and 17-55 (revenuee will know what i'm talking about!) so I think I might have maybe a dollar or two when it's all said and done. ;)If you shoot RAW with the D2X and will be using both Nikon Capture and Photoshop, save a few dollars for a RAM upgrade on the G5.

That's a real nice lens and the camera look sreal good as well. I'm waiting to see what Nikon announcs at PMA before making a decision about upgrading my D100.

Billicus
Feb 2, 2005, 10:55 AM
Upgrading for my family has usually been 4-5 years apart. We currently have an iMac G3 400 Mhz. I guess we would fall into the #4 category... Except that the processors on even the iBooks have bypassed that computer by almost 3x.. :p I got a 17" 1.33 Ghz PowerBook to come to College with. I got that October/November 2003, after the new models had been introduced. Apple came out with new models a few months after that :eek:... but Oh well. ;) My mom just ordered a new 12" PowerBook 1.5 Ghz with 80 Gb HD. Between the new PowerBook and the iMac, they should be set for quite a few years. Or so they hope... :D I'll probably need a new computer by the time I get out of college in 3 years... Heaven knows that a 1.33 Ghz G4 isn't going to be able to withstand 3 years of OS X upgrades... :/

aloofman
Feb 2, 2005, 11:03 AM
It's obsolete when I can no longer get good performance when running the apps that I want to use. At some point newer, more demanding apps slow the machine down enough that I get dissatisfied and need a new one. Then I keep waiting until I've saved up enough to buy.

zelmo
Feb 2, 2005, 11:05 AM
You may be insane.

Nope, just sarcastic as hell. :rolleyes:

If I had the spare funds, I'd upgrade every year. I have never worn out a Mac, I just usually get impatient for a faster, sexier machine after about 3-4 years. What is it about Apple design that makes me want to buy every machine they release?
I have always donated the outgoing Mac to a family member, except for the beige G3/266 DT that was replaced by our current iMac, which I sold to work (since it was faster than some of the machines we were using at the time). The G4 iMac serves us well, as we really only use it for email, web, and iTunes. We'll replace it when it can't do those things well anymore, or when it dies.

TEG
Feb 2, 2005, 11:26 AM
For Gaming: When the newest Games, require 2-4 times the video ram or Proc speed.

Otherwise: When the newest operating system appears, and does not support my system, or makes it run very slow.

TEG

kugino
Feb 2, 2005, 11:47 AM
I don't consider my Mac outdated till I can't run a current OS on it. I used my 8600 quite succesfuly until 10.2 was released then it was time to upgrade.

i kind of agree with this. panther runs on my bondi blue, so i still use it. but now my bondi blue is dead...so i guess that's when i say it's outdated.

Mord
Feb 2, 2005, 11:57 AM
bah, the day we have eight core powerbook G10's is the day i consider my trusty powerbook 100 outdated, no 268 can beat it's 8MHz 68000.

stuff is outdated when i have enough money spare for a new one and my old one cant do what i need it to which generally happens when i need to use a new app (aka when i started using mathmatica)

shake
Feb 2, 2005, 12:07 PM
i consider my mac outdated when the current OS will not run it.

for exmaple, i had a beige G3 tower that i loved, but when 10.3 panther came out, support was dropped for said machine. so i got another that was supported. a dual 533 g4 !

and it seems like g4's will be supported for some time because Apple just keeps introducing new machines with a G4 processor (mini, new powerbook).

leekohler
Feb 2, 2005, 12:16 PM
I have to tell you-my 4-plus year old 350Mhz Power Mac G4 Sawtooth still kicks. The best thing I've ever done was buy that computer. The G4 has lasted so long! I put a new video card in it, maxed out the RAM years ago and am waiting on a new 1Ghz processor for it. Who know how long I'll have it? I would give it another 2 years at least and give my iBook G4 another year or so.

wordmunger
Feb 2, 2005, 12:42 PM
I've come up with different levels of being outdated:

1. Your Mac model has been replaced with a newer model.
2. Some (but not all) current Macs at lower levels than yours (if applicable) beat yours on at least 1 item on the tech specs page.
3. Some (but not all) current Macs at lower levels than yours (if applicable) beat yours on ALL items on the tech specs page.
4. ALL current Macs, regardless of price level, beat yours on ALL items on the tech specs page.

Wow, by your model, my computer will be outdated the moment the iBook is upgraded. I have a 1.3 Ghz iBook which I bought just a few months ago!

I'm in the "while it still works" crowd. I ran my TiBook nearly 4 years, until the airport card died and I couldn't replace it since the non extreme airport has been EOL'd. The computer still works -- I gave it to my brother who used it to replace his old Win 95 (!) desktop.

I expect I'll be using my iBook at least another three years; hopefully four or more (though a G5 powerbook could tempt me!).

Trekkie
Feb 2, 2005, 12:52 PM
When it costs more to fix it than a new one costs.

For example, my rev A powerbook G4 12" lost the hard drive after two years. The hard drive was $149. The new system was $1499.

I got a new hard drive.

Mainly because I don't do a whole lot of 'hard' things on it. Email, Web Browsing, some dilly dallying in iPhoto, a few other simple things.

I have a iMac G5 that I use for my photography and playing games. Honestly unless something weird really happens I won't find myself needing a new iMac until the G6 comes out.

As a former PC user, that is weird. I'm used to needing a new one every year.

thequicksilver
Feb 2, 2005, 01:20 PM
When a new processor type with a faster MHz speed is released in the same model for a lower price. I had a G3 900 iBook. Wasn't taken with the G4 800MHz at all, but once the 1.07GHzs came out, I got one ASAP.

Now I'm waiting for a dual core G4 or even a G5 to get a new iBook. :)