PDA

View Full Version : in-app purchase : demo and later Subscribe

mpramodjain
Jan 20, 2011, 05:38 AM
Do the appstore accepts following scenario :

I had a functionality available to the user available for free, for a particular period of 30 days. Then after 30 days user will be asked to subscribe, using in-app purchase functionality

Do Appstore HIG agrees this method of in-app purchase subscription model.

Also where can we find the app store Guidelines for submitting the in-app purchases, especially subscription model.

balamw
Jan 20, 2011, 08:09 AM
As I understand it there is no subscription model. Period.

You can release a demo and have an in-app purchase to unlock a feature or remove ads, but you can't make it "expire" after 30 days.

(EDIT: You can do things like dropbox/evernote/zinio/... where the functionality of the app is enhanced by having a subscription via a third party site, but Apple will not collect the money for you).

B

dejo
Jan 20, 2011, 08:55 AM
I had a functionality available to the user available for free, for a particular period of 30 days. Then after 30 days user will be asked to subscribe, using in-app purchase functionality
Apple will almost certainly reject this.

Do Appstore HIG agrees this method of in-app purchase subscription model.
This has nothing to do with the HIG.

Also where can we find the app store Guidelines for submitting the in-app purchases, especially subscription model.
App Store Review Guidelines for iOS (https://developer.apple.com/appstore/resources/approval/guidelines.html). You should read the whole thing but pay particular attention to the section on "Purchasing and currencies" as well as the restrictions for demo apps.

balamw
Jan 20, 2011, 09:15 AM
App Store Review Guidelines for iOS (https://developer.apple.com/appstore/resources/approval/guidelines.html). You should read the whole thing but pay particular attention to the section on "Purchasing and currencies" as well as the restrictions for demo apps.
FWIW only available to those already in the paid iOS Developer Program.

There are plenty of free apps that only work/work better with an outside subscription beyond the ones I already mentioned. Netflix, Hulu, People Magazine, ... the difference between them and what you propose is who collects the subscription money.

There are also some games that release new levels or in-game items regularly that require additional in-app purchases, but none of them time-out.

B

dejo
Jan 20, 2011, 09:29 AM
FWIW only available to those already in the paid iOS Developer Program.
Yes, that is the case. I'm curious: in the future, would you recommend I add a "disclaimer" to such links?

balamw
Jan 20, 2011, 09:34 AM
Yes, that is the case. I'm curious: in the future, would you recommend I add a "disclaimer" to such links?

Your call.

I do think it's a shame that Apple doesn't make some of these docs available until after you've committed to the program, only to find that your business plan won't work. :p

B

dejo
Jan 20, 2011, 09:56 AM
I do think it's a shame that Apple doesn't make some of these docs available until after you've committed to the program, only to find that your business plan won't work. :p
Well, I'm not gonna argue with you there. :D