PDA

View Full Version : Backlight Keyboard in 12 inch

IDANNY
Feb 1, 2005, 06:09 PM
My first question is why dont they have it in the 12 inch.

Second is on my order for a 12 inch powerbook it says BkLit Keyboard/Mac OS.

is that normal

imac9556
Feb 1, 2005, 06:35 PM
My first question is why dont they have it in the 12 inch.

Second is on my order for a 12 inch powerbook it says BkLit Keyboard/Mac OS.

is that normal

I don't know why Apple will not offer the 12in Powerbook.
But alot of other people has the same "problem" too, the ones who already shipped out still shows the BkLit Keyboard/Mac. Whats strange, it that when I ordered my Powerbook 15in w/ the backlit keyboard, the shows the exact same part..
"BkLit Keyboard/Mac OS 065-4819"
Here are the other forums who had the same issue:
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=243828
http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?128@975.WNwQaK2oNSA.1909688@.68a57052

billyb
Feb 1, 2005, 06:57 PM
don't take my word for it, but i believe that the powerbooks all use the same KEYBOARDS...that is, the keys themselves are identical (with transparent numerals/letters). the 12" just doesn't have the lights under the keys, or the light-sensing module. my best guess? no room for it. but i really have no idea.

-bb

IDANNY
Feb 1, 2005, 07:00 PM
I don't know why Apple will not offer the 12in Powerbook.
But alot of other people has the same "problem" too, the ones who already shipped out still shows the BkLit Keyboard/Mac. Whats strange, it that when I ordered my Powerbook 15in w/ the backlit keyboard, the shows the exact same part..
"BkLit Keyboard/Mac OS 065-4819"
Here are the other forums who had the same issue:
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=243828
http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?128@975.WNwQaK2oNSA.1909688@.68a57052

Thanks for the links imac9556.

IDANNY
Feb 1, 2005, 07:01 PM
don't take my word for it, but i believe that the powerbooks all use the same KEYBOARDS...that is, the keys themselves are identical (with transparent numerals/letters). the 12" just doesn't have the lights under the keys, or the light-sensing module. my best guess? no room for it. but i really have no idea.

-bb

Yah that makes sense. But wouldnt it be cool if it actually came with the backlight keyboard. :cool:

madmaxmedia
Feb 1, 2005, 07:04 PM
I bet it's Apple's way of nudging people towards the higher-priced models...(and justifying the price differences between the models.)

I doubt the actual hardware to light up the keyboard takes up much room.

Bear
Feb 1, 2005, 07:06 PM
I bet it's Apple's way of nudging people towards the higher-priced models...(and justifying the price differences between the models.)

I doubt the actual hardware to light up the keyboard takes up much room.On the 12" PowerBook, there is not much room to add much of anything else. You need the ciruitry to light up the keyboard and you need the sensors to tell the keyboard when to light up.

Rod Rod
Feb 1, 2005, 07:38 PM
On the 12" PowerBook, there is not much room to add much of anything else. You need the ciruitry to light up the keyboard and you need the sensors to tell the keyboard when to light up.

That might be true. Another possibility is those extras would fit in the 12" perfectly fine, given that it's thicker than the 15" and 17" PowerBooks, and there is some spare space under and over the optical drive. The ambient light sensor could be integrated with the built-in mic or in one of the vent grilles (in the hinge area).

billyb
Feb 1, 2005, 10:02 PM
The ambient light sensor could be integrated ..... in one of the vent grilles (in the hinge area).

I'm pretty sure that that's where they put the sensor in the bigger PBs (in the vent grilles, not the hinge).

-bb

Rod Rod
Feb 1, 2005, 10:45 PM
I'm pretty sure that that's where they put the sensor in the bigger PBs (in the vent grilles, not the hinge).

-bb

Some people say (Fox News phrase) the light sensor is in the speaker grilles. I don't know for certain.

Koodauw
Feb 2, 2005, 12:50 AM
Some people say (Fox News phrase) the light sensor is in the speaker grilles. I don't know for certain.

If you cover the speaker grills with your hand, the light sensor comes on.

And I mean really, if apple wanted wanted the 12'' to have a back lit keyboard it would. Apple of all people can engineer it.

jackieonasses
Feb 2, 2005, 01:24 AM
The consistent argument on why the 12 inch Powerbook still doesn't have a backlit keyboard, is - To differentiate between models of Powerbooks - What they need to do is make it standard across the board to differentiate itself from the *iBook*.

kyle

blackpeter
Feb 2, 2005, 03:00 AM
Answer: the midrange speaker that lies beneath the keyboard on the 12".

Apple wisely decided that due to the small size of the built-in stereo speakers on the 12" PowerBook, they would enhance the audio with an additional midrange speaker. Being that the audio affects the day-to-day experience more than a backlit keyboard, I think it was the right call.

Rod Rod
Feb 2, 2005, 03:45 AM
What they need to do is make it standard across the board to differentiate itself from the *iBook*.

I agree 100% (but of course I'm biased because I own a 12" PB). :)

Answer: the midrange speaker that lies beneath the keyboard on the 12".

Apple wisely decided that due to the small size of the built-in stereo speakers on the 12" PowerBook, they would enhance the audio with an additional midrange speaker. Being that the audio affects the day-to-day experience more than a backlit keyboard, I think it was the right call.
That third speaker has been in the 12" PowerBook since it debuted at 867MHz in January 2003. I agree that it's the right call, and I know you're not necessarily saying that this is something new for the 1.5GHz model, but I just thought I'd point this out in case anyone got the wrong impression.

Inspector Lee
Feb 2, 2005, 08:13 AM

I don't know why they don't do it to separate the 12" PB from the 12" iBook. Gotta be something in the design that they can't swing - at least not yet. I've got a 15" TiBook and when it needs replacing I'd think about the 12" PB but I'd really like to have a backlit keyboard.

efoto
Feb 2, 2005, 10:34 AM
The 12PB is already quite different from the 12iB

You are talking about illumination behind the keys....where your fingers rest most of the time. This is not the most worthwhile update to a notebook at all. The keyboards are physically different, casing obviously, speed, design, overall everything is different except for series of hardware used (G4).

Although a backlit keyboard might be neat, have you ever used one on a friend's and said "I gotta have this, no matter what this is important!"?

Not to hate on it, I like the idea but I am in no way sad that I will not be getting it.

IDANNY
Feb 2, 2005, 04:05 PM
they changed my order status now it says

Keyboard/Mac OS

o well I should call apple and complain lol. :rolleyes:

Mechcozmo
Feb 2, 2005, 04:31 PM
You are talking about illumination behind the keys....where your fingers rest most of the time. This is not the most worthwhile update to a notebook at all. The keyboards are physically different, casing obviously, speed, design, overall everything is different except for series of hardware used (G4).

Although a backlit keyboard might be neat, have you ever used one on a friend's and said "I gotta have this, no matter what this is important!"?

Not to hate on it, I like the idea but I am in no way sad that I will not be getting it.

Actually the letters themselves light up. That's pretty damned neat, IMO. I've used a 17" PowerBook with those keys, and they are so freakin' cool.

The 12" has always had a midrange speaker. The 15" and 17" have larger speakers to either side of the keyboard where the sensors are.

I'd like a light up keyboard, and I seriously thought about waiting to buy a 15" PowerBook because of that. But in the end I got the 12" and would buy another :D

Counterfit
Feb 2, 2005, 05:53 PM
The 12" has always had a midrange speaker. The 15" and 17" have larger speakers to either side of the keyboard where the sensors are. The 15" also has a midrange speaker under the Option key (in that area anyway.)