Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 13, 2010
I know that MBA was updated very recently and I know that iPad, iphone and MBP will be updated before MBA, but I just wanted to hear some thoughts from you guys.

I already bought MBA 13.3 inch late 2010 model for my family. I like the MBA as well, but I am thinking about going for 11.6 inch model instead of 13.3 inch because its more portable.

I am going to use it for.

1. Typing. Word, Excel and power point
2. Storing some music and video, but I will depend on external HDD or SSD.
3. some games, but not serious ones. Any Core 2DUO Processor with 4GB ram will handle it.

I don't need new laptop anytime soon and I am willing to wait until lion comes out like this summer. Do you think apple will update it by that time and if so, what can we expect?? 4GB ram Standard? 128GB SSD and 256 SSD?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
MBA's update cycle has been pretty infrequent so it's impossible to say. I wouldn't expect an update before late 2011 though

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
This is my random guess:

•Processor Bump
•4GB RAM standard in 13" one but with 11" a choice between 2 and 4GB.
•Options for 128, 256 and 512 SSD.

Hmm, I wonder how right I shall be?

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Apple tends to do yearly updates on a model. I think there's Zero chance of a Macbook Air update before this fall.

MacbookDO

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2011
There are two schools of though when it comes to buying technology that is refreshed often. 1) Wait til the new item comes out so you will be "future proofed" as long as possible. 2) Buy what ever is out now, if it does what you want it to do.

I'm in the second camp. There will always be something cooler a year down the road. Its kind of like leasing vs buying a car. I'm not knocking either point of view. If you like new stuff, you lease a car every couple years, and pay the price. If you plan on saving money in the long run, you buy what you need and hang onto it.

but i'm guessing since you're looking at a macbook air, you like cool stuff :rolleyes:

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
guessing (hey it's fun)

in order

-new ipad
-new macbook pros 15/17" (no more 13") sandy/nvidia,ssd (for os) hybrid hd for programs,dvd drive remains
-macbook (gone)
-lion
-refresh airs lion,sandy/nvidia,128/256 ssd

axu539

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2010
If you're already looking at an MBA, it's time to just buy one now. The current one came out not 3 months ago, so it's far from a refresh. That's also not to say that the next MBA might not even have NVIDIA graphics anymore with the C2D's being discontinued, and the Sandy Bridge chips having only Intel HD graphics, so the performance may/may not even decrease. If I were you, I'd go ahead and just pick up an MBA now, and enjoy. They command high resale value anyway if you decide you want to upgrade later this year.

Trfbell

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2011
New MBA will come this fall.

MBA in the past was irregularly updated, but since it is now much improved, and apple has said that it is "the future of the MacBook," I think it will be refreshed this fall based on the yearly cycle. Also this will be heading into holiday season so I think that makes it more likely. I think we'll see 4gb ram standard, better processors (sandybridge hopefully) and intel integrated graphics.

smugDrew

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2011
in a dwelling
I'm counting on an update reasonably soon, possibly within 2 months. I think Apple needs to update the Air because of thunderbolt tech and new intel sandy bridge tech.

Craving a MacBook Air, but honestly won't buy until early 2012. It's a money thing :D

hcho3

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 13, 2010
Most likely be updated this fall around October to November for holidays. Very unlikely for Summer.

mcfrankshc

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2011
Toronto
My Guess about the specs

From what I can see, Apple is probably gonna do this:

11 inch low-end: Core i5 2537M 1.4 GHz (Turbo 2.3/2.0), 2GB RAM Standard (1333 MHz), Intel HD 3000 Graphics, same 64GB Flash Storage

11 inch high-end: Core i5 2537M 1.4 GHz (Turbo 2.3/2.0), 128 GB Flash Storage, (optional Core i7 2617M, 256 GB SSD)

13 inch low-end: Core i7 2617M 1.5 GHz (Turbo 2.6/2.3), 2GB RAM Standard (1333 MHz), 128 GB Flash Storage

13-inch high-end: Core i7 2617M 1.5 GHz (Turbo 2.6/2.3), 256 GB Flash Storage (Optional Core i7 2657M 1.6 GHz turbo 2.7/2.4, 512 GB Flash Storage).

Thunderbolt peripherals and 720P HD Facetime Camera will become standard. Apple is likely to sacrifice graphic performance to boost CPU power (the older 2010 MBA came with Nvidia 320M, the rumored 2011 MBA should come with Intel HD 3000). However, according to numerous benchmark tests, the HD 3000 should at least be able to meet the performance level of 320M, if not better.

There will be no 4GB RAM in standard configuration because Mac OS X lion handles multitasking differently, which requires less RAM.

This one may not be possible, but the MBAs may come with an Apple A5 chip (in addition to the Sandy Bridge X86 ones), so that it runs ARMv7 applications natively. This may not happen anytime soon, though. Probably Apple A6, or A7.

Also, I hope apple will be upgrading the battery capacity in the 11 inch MBA so that it matches the rest of the line (7 Hours).

Last edited:

FNG

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2010
Thunderbolt peripherals and 720P HD Facetime Camera will become standard. Apple is likely to sacrifice graphic performance to boost CPU power (the older 2010 MBA came with Nvidia 320M, the rumored 2011 MBA should come with Intel HD 3000). However, according to numerous benchmark tests, the HD 3000 should at least be able to meet the performance level of 320M, if not better.

As everyone's assuming that Sandybridge will be in the next MBA, and will therefore have to "sacrifice in graphics performance" - what does that really mean? What difference would I see?

For example: I have found that while I love my iPad, it just doesn't cut it on the road for business applications. For someone who doesn't game (much), but does some photo/video editing using iLife software (and possibly Aperture in the future) - what will the sacrifice in graphics performance mean?

mcfrankshc

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2011
Toronto
As everyone's assuming that Sandybridge will be in the next MBA, and will therefore have to "sacrifice in graphics performance" - what does that really mean? What difference would I see?

For example: I have found that while I love my iPad, it just doesn't cut it on the road for business applications. For someone who doesn't game (much), but does some photo/video editing using iLife software (and possibly Aperture in the future) - what will the sacrifice in graphics performance mean?

While not much difference I guess, assuming you only use applications like iPhotos, iMovie, and Aperture. In fact, I'm currently using a 2011 Core i5 Macbook Pro with HD 3000 Graphics, and haven't noticed any significant performance decrease as compared to my older 2010 Nvidia 320M MacBook Pro, at least just yet. I tried running some games, and they are at most 2~3 frames slower per second. So it's actually about the same performance.

However, I don't know about the Macbook Airs. The processors I've listed have a base graphic clock of 350 MHz while the MBPs have a base clock of 600 MHz. But when turbo boosted, the graphics clock is about the same (1000 MHz & 1100 MHz, respectively?) But for an average consumer, I doubt if you will notice any difference.

defected07

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2011
I'm looking to replace my late '06 15" MBP (2.33 C2D, 3GB of RAM--won't recognize 4GB of ram).

Looking for something smaller, that I can travel with. My needs don't extend beyond Adobe CS suite--though I know that can be pretty demanding, but my current machine seems to handle it ok--as long as not much else is running. Also, maybe some guitar recording software, but nothing heavy duty--probably just Garage Band, and iMovie with iPhone video.

It's pretty much between a i5/i7 MBA (if they're released), or a 13" MBP. I'm looking to have something easy to travel with, and then dock it once I'm home--like the Henge docks--to a larger monitor with separate keyboard and laptop.

I've read some comparisons between the current MBAs and 13" MBPs, and the MBAs, with C2D, seem to benchmark very well, thanks to the SSD. So I may just wait to see if something new is released for the MBAs, or pick up a 13" MBP.

Any input from you experts?

Edit: though it appears the front page has some Twitter info...

mba.png

mcfrankshc

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2011
Toronto
I'm looking to replace my late '06 15" MBP (2.33 C2D, 3GB of RAM--won't recognize 4GB of ram).

Looking for something smaller, that I can travel with. My needs don't extend beyond Adobe CS suite--though I know that can be pretty demanding, but my current machine seems to handle it ok--as long as not much else is running. Also, maybe some guitar recording software, but nothing heavy duty--probably just Garage Band, and iMovie with iPhone video.

It's pretty much between a i5/i7 MBA (if they're released), or a 13" MBP. I'm looking to have something easy to travel with, and then dock it once I'm home--like the Henge docks--to a larger monitor with separate keyboard and laptop.

I've read some comparisons between the current MBAs and 13" MBPs, and the MBAs, with C2D, seem to benchmark very well, thanks to the SSD. So I may just wait to see if something new is released for the MBAs, or pick up a 13" MBP.

Any input from you experts?

Edit: though it appears the front page has some Twitter info...

I am currently using a 13'' Core i5 MBP. The performance is definitely a lot better than my 2.53 GHz C2D Core 2 Duo. However expected more than this. I thought it will be a huge difference, but apparently the boot time did not improve a single bit.

My friend had a 11'' MBA with 1.6 GHz C2D and it felt A LOT snappier in everyday tasks such as web browsing, photo viewing, and processing word documents thank to the SSDs. However the CPU performance is rather underwhelming. The MBP is much faster in CPU intensive tasks.

If you are looking for a new Mac, get a 15'' MBP with Quad Core i7. It comes with better graphics as well.

jace88

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney, Australia
From what I can see, Apple is probably gonna do this:

11 inch low-end: Core i5 2537M 1.4 GHz (Turbo 2.3/2.0), 2GB RAM Standard (1333 MHz), Intel HD 3000 Graphics, same 64GB Flash Storage

11 inch high-end: Core i5 2537M 1.4 GHz (Turbo 2.3/2.0), 128 GB Flash Storage, (optional Core i7 2617M, 256 GB SSD)

13 inch low-end: Core i7 2617M 1.5 GHz (Turbo 2.6/2.3), 2GB RAM Standard (1333 MHz), 128 GB Flash Storage

13-inch high-end: Core i7 2617M 1.5 GHz (Turbo 2.6/2.3), 256 GB Flash Storage (Optional Core i7 2657M 1.6 GHz turbo 2.7/2.4, 512 GB Flash Storage).

There will be no 4GB RAM in standard configuration because Mac OS X lion handles multitasking differently, which requires less RAM.

This one may not be possible, but the MBAs may come with an Apple A5 chip (in addition to the Sandy Bridge X86 ones), so that it runs ARMv7 applications natively. This may not happen anytime soon, though. Probably Apple A6, or A7.

Also, I hope apple will be upgrading the battery capacity in the 11 inch MBA so that it matches the rest of the line (7 Hours).

LOL your predictions weren't too bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.