Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lanulos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
EDIT: Note: This is the NEW version of iDOS, 2.0.1, which just came out yesterday in the AppStore, not 1.0 which was Jobsbliterated after 1 day a few months ago.

I copied seven 1.2M Win3.1 floppies into 7 folders, DISK1 thru DISK7, in the Documents folder of iDOS (free in AppStore), then ran SETUP.EXE in folder DISK1. Here are some screenshots:

IMG_0210.gif

DISK3 I think...

IMG_0211.gif

After DISK6.

IMG_0212.gif

Getting ready to run the tutorial...

IMG_0213.gif

clicking Reboot here dumped me back to iDOS. I killed iDOS then reopened, and ran "win" at the C: prompt.

IMG_0214.gif

In Win3.1 File Manager (those were the days...not!)

IMG_0215.gif

exiting file Manager.

I must say everything is EGREGIOUSLY SLOW...But then what did I expect on my Touch3. Might be a lot better on an iPad or iPhone 4...

Last edited:

lanulos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Yeah this isnt anything particularly new. Its been out for a while now.

This is the new iDOS 2.0.1 which just came out in the AppStore yesterday, not version 1.0 which came out a few months ago and was thrown out of the AppStore after one day. The author even said on his blog that:

"The biggest change from iDOS 1.0: iTunes file sharing is now turned off.
That means you will not be able to install windows nor games from your old disc collection."
http://litchie.net/blog/?p=168
Obviously that's not true. In fact, one of the comments on his blog describes how to install stuff without even being jailbroken. My touch is, but I'm going to try it on my daughter's unjailbroken one if I can keep it away from her long enough...

EDIT: Tried it on the unjailbroken one (both are iOS 4.1 by the way) but found it very difficult to get into the app folder using iPhone Explorer, but I did succeed once, which was enough to install Win3.1. The newer version of iTunes must be fighting iPhone Explorer. (This was what the commenter in the link above used.)

Last edited:

lanulos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
I have it on my iPhone 4 but when i turn it sideways the screen goes black :(

That's a "feature". If you tap the top of the landscape screen there's a little transparent slide-down menu with different interface icons, so if you tap the keyboard icon, for instance, a transparent keyboard overlays the bottom of the screen. That's how I installed Win3.1. You can see the keyboard in one of my pics. The menu goes away when not in use, which is why it's not in my pics.

lanulos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
I meant I can't see windows when side cause of a bug making the picture disappear ... might be from 4.3 though. only works sideways in windowed mode not fullscreen

Oh. Well, I guess he won't have much incentive to update it since the Code Police have terminated it with extreme prejudice...I wonder if it works on 4.2.1. By the way, do you know if TinyUmbrella is saving SHSH's for 4.3 betas?

But it's good that I am looking through forgotten areas of my closet for ancient game disks...I've found other stuff I'd thought I'd lost forever.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Here's iDOS on my iPad running GeoWorks Ensemble (technically it is the later version of it known as New Deal Office 98)

dqj77a.jpg

The blurriness of the image is due to the resizing of the screen capture.

iPhoneCollector

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2010
Home
I bet thats better than vista. Can you browse the files on your ipad with that? And does internet and stuff like that work
I hate to ask but can you install programs on the windows os?

Synthion

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2011
I laughed, I cried, I just about puked when I saw the Windows home screen. I'm so conflicted.:confused::eek::mad::p:D:(;):):eek::apple:

Synthion

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2011
How did you do that? I could do it previously, but now they banned mounting root access? How can I do that?

lanulos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
How did you do that? I could do it previously, but now they banned mounting root access? How can I do that?

Using iPhone Explorer on my daughter's unjailbroken one I had to try many times to get into the litchie folder under apps (it has an odd folder name starting with 8, on mine it's 8HLDK844H7.net.litchie.idos, I don't know if it's always that). I got in once, and then transferred the Win3.1 setup folders. I couldn't get in again after that. Now I can't even get in on my jailbroken one with iPhone Explorer; I think there's something wrong with the program. I have no trouble seeing root with any other utility on the jailbroken iPod.

Brucewl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
Wow...it seems Windows 3.1 is totally different from Windows which released in recent decade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.