PDA

View Full Version : XBMC now installable on jailbroken AppleTV2

Pages : [1] 2

spencers
Jan 20, 2011, 07:50 PM
Finally! No more reliance on iTunes and having to convert your video!

Best of all, 1080p.

http://xbmc.org/theuni/2011/01/20/you-asked-for-it-xbmc-for-appletv2-ipad-iphone4/

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/20/xbmc-comes-to-the-new-apple-tv/

That $99 piece of hardware just became much, much more valuable.

ulbador
Jan 20, 2011, 07:52 PM
Wow.. This is impressive. Been looking for a reason to buy one of these, and this is it.

oakland6980
Jan 20, 2011, 08:12 PM
i'm having trouble getting it installed. if anyone could lend a had that'd be great.

spencers
Jan 20, 2011, 08:48 PM
i'm having trouble getting it installed. if anyone could lend a had that'd be great.

If I had an ATV2, I'd be more than happy to help. However, I just have a dedicated ION/XBMC Live system.
But I'll try. Where are you stuck?

oakland6980
Jan 20, 2011, 09:02 PM
after i execute apt-get install org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2 winscp says host is not communicating for more the 15 seconds.... so it doesnt install.

spencers
Jan 20, 2011, 09:06 PM
after i execute apt-get install org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2 winscp says host is not communicating for more the 15 seconds.... so it doesnt install.
Interesting... I'll look into that. That's weird it would hang like that. Sometimes it will ask if you are sure you want to install, prompting for you to press Y or N.

I went ahead and typed out the install procedure and information about each step.

First, make sure your iDevice is jailbroken. Before you start, you need to know how to SSH into your iDevice.
You also need to know the root password (default is alpine), and the current IP address of your iDevice.

Open terminal on your mac, and connect to the iDevice by typing
ssh root@192.168.1.115
obviously you'll change the IP address to the one of your iDevice.

Then add the repository by typing
echo "deb http://mirrors.xbmc.org/apt/atv2 ./" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.list

Then get the updated list of files from the repository
apt-get update

Now install XBMC by typing
apt-get install org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2

If you run into problems, you might have to run the commands as sudo

maximus96
Jan 20, 2011, 09:08 PM
Nice!! If this works well I'll have to buy an Apple TV

oakland6980
Jan 20, 2011, 09:10 PM
yea its jailbroken i've install atvflash (black) and i ran all of those.

spencers
Jan 20, 2011, 09:13 PM
yea its jailbroken i've install atvflash (black) and i ran all of those.
Typically install commands end with:
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
You'll notice that it will wait for you to press Y in order to continue.

ozblogger
Jan 20, 2011, 09:14 PM
great!!, now hopefully untethered 4.2/4.3 JB comes out soon ...
Can't wait to try this

oakland6980
Jan 20, 2011, 09:17 PM
but mine doesnt say that. it just looses the connection. But firecore added XBMC to install directly from the atv2 so i'm all good now. thanks for your help

spencers
Jan 20, 2011, 09:22 PM
but mine doesnt say that. it just looses the connection. But firecore added XBMC to install directly from the atv2 so i'm all good now. thanks for your help

That's great! I just saw the tweet.
XBMC comes to ATV2! Download it via Maintenance --> Manage Extras.
http://twitter.com/firecore

j3yq
Jan 20, 2011, 09:34 PM
Curious to see how it handles the 1080P, Buying Atv2 tomorrow!

iphoneblogr
Jan 20, 2011, 09:34 PM
There is also a full set of install instructions available here:

http://appletvblogr.com/2011/01/how-to-install-xbmc-for-apple-tv-2g-tutorial/

Kauai
Jan 20, 2011, 09:51 PM
Will this allow playback of MKV? How about SSA subtitles? Either way, it's pretty awesome! Could anyone provide me with a link for a good guide to Jailbreak my ATV(2)? Thanks!

German
Jan 20, 2011, 09:57 PM
The API that Ravnĺs discovered is labeled VideoToolBox, and it's used for hardware video decoding, encoding and scaling of the video size to match the final display size, Davilla said. VideoToolBox not only works on the Apple TV and iOS, but Mac OS X 10.5 and 10.6 as well.

"It's the API Apple 'should' have exposed instead of VDADecoder," Davilla explained. "VDADecoder is just a thin wrapper around the VideoToolBox API and is how the use of VideoToolBox was discovered."

"This API is going to blow wide open the video decode and encode ability on ATV2, iOS and [Mac] OS X apps. It is a private framework API and the usual warnings about using private frameworks apply. However, given that the API has been stable back to 10.5, it's not going to be changed very much by Apple."

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/01/20/xbmc-for-ios-and-atv2-now-available/

alex.sebenski
Jan 20, 2011, 10:05 PM
It does run .mkv files. It runs basically anything. I only have it on my iPad so far and it works pretty well.

The controls are a bit to get used to (double tap for right click, scroll bars on the right hand side only) but they'll work on getting better gesture control later.

For now...it works. It really works. 1080p. No transcoding. Freedom from iTunes. Apple TV2 is now actually useful because it is a super cheap device that can run XBMC very well.

maximus96
Jan 20, 2011, 10:12 PM
how are the controls via the little remote with so little buttons? i was used to controlling it on a xbox1 controller with all the different buttons and triggers working different functions

skottichan
Jan 20, 2011, 10:21 PM
I'm assuming if I use XBMC, i lose the ability to playback any TV shows I've bought from the iTMS?

Small White Car
Jan 20, 2011, 10:25 PM
So this mostly just does what the Apple TV already does?

Oh, it plays formats I don't have. Ok.

Man, if the Apple TV is "a hobby" this is like a hobby for the hobby. Or something. I guess it makes the tinkerers happy.

kiljoy616
Jan 20, 2011, 11:03 PM
So the ATV2 can run 1080p without a problem but Apple has just not allowed it.

Can't wait to see if they do the same on the next upgrade.

I was wondering can the Arm A9 run FPS at 1080p or less or is that to much for that system?

Dr. Gzus
Jan 20, 2011, 11:08 PM
CRIPES!! I have a king's ransom in just-in-case cables. Freakin' mountain. Mountain I say! Not one damn micro USB.

gugy
Jan 20, 2011, 11:20 PM
Couple questions:

Can XBMC play Video_TS folders? (I really do not want to transcode all my DVDs)

Can I move all my media library (music/videos/photos) to a hard drive, hook up to Airport Extreme base station via USB and XBMC read out of that drive? (I want to get away from my Mac being on at all times to watch something)

Thanks for any feedback.

DopeyFish
Jan 20, 2011, 11:28 PM

Man, if the Apple TV is "a hobby" this is like a hobby for the hobby. Or something. I guess it makes the tinkerers happy.

xbmc is the best media center on the planet - AppleTV iOS is basic in comparison

jpine
Jan 20, 2011, 11:58 PM
Finally! No more reliance on iTunes and having to convert your video!

Best of all, 1080p.

http://xbmc.org/theuni/2011/01/20/you-asked-for-it-xbmc-for-appletv2-ipad-iphone4/

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/20/xbmc-comes-to-the-new-apple-tv/

That $99 piece of hardware just became much, much more valuable.

Thanks for the link. The YouTube video was useless for me since I had no idea what xbmc was until now.

DCstewieG
Jan 20, 2011, 11:59 PM
Really, not one mention of Plex (http://plexapp.com)? And it doesn't even require jailbreaking on iDevices! There's also an unofficial build for jailbroken ATV2.

The latest re-architected version (.9) is really nice in that you define your library on one computer and then all devices connect to it, giving the benefit of one-time configuration, shared "watched" indicators, and the ability to start on one device and continue on another. I see XBMC is touting the fact that it's not a thin client and there's no transcoding - which is a good point - but it's a trade off that you'll want to look into.

The Plex iOS app was also designed from the ground up as a touch app, unlike XBMC being ported directly over, at least for now. Looking at that page I'm not sure how it's controlled.

Yay competition! :D

BlackMangoTree
Jan 21, 2011, 12:16 AM
Plex requires everything to be converted xbmc doesnt. this is by far better

petsounds
Jan 21, 2011, 12:18 AM
Really, not one mention of Plex (http://plexapp.com)? And it doesn't even require jailbreaking on iDevices! There's also an unofficial build for jailbroken ATV2.

Um, AFAIK the Plex iOS app is only a control module for Plex on a Mac. Also, it's not free. (No beef with Plex; it's awesome. I was the first person to give elan beer money.)

Of course, the summary on this news article is so bad, I don't even know what "ZOMG XMBC on iOS!" means. Does it mean they authored controller apps for desktop XMBC? Or did they actually port over the full XMBC release?

Also also, given the license minefield of the iOS App Store (and what happened to the VLC app), if XMBC was actually ported to iOS, I'd be surprised if all the open source licenses are kosher with the App Store policies.

spencers
Jan 21, 2011, 12:23 AM
Couple questions:

Can XBMC play Video_TS folders? (I really do not want to transcode all my DVDs)

Can I move all my media library (music/videos/photos) to a hard drive, hook up to Airport Extreme base station via USB and XBMC read out of that drive? (I want to get away from my Mac being on at all times to watch something)

Thanks for any feedback.

Yes! (to the first question)
I don't know about the second question, though.

If you want to be doubly certain, just download the XBMC application for your mac from xbmc.org (www.xbmc.org), and have a look before diving in!

Um, AFAIK the Plex iOS app is only a control module for Plex on a Mac. Also, it's not free. (No beef with Plex; it's awesome. I was the first person to give elan beer money.)

Of course, the summary on this news article is so bad, I don't even know what "ZOMG XMBC on iOS!" means. Does it mean they authored controller apps for desktop XMBC? Or did they actually port over the full XMBC release?

Also also, given the license minefield of the iOS App Store (and what happened to the VLC app), if XMBC was actually ported to iOS, I'd be surprised if all the open source licenses are kosher with the App Store policies.
+1 about Plex.
XBMC controller apps have been out for quite some time now (XBMC Remote is my favorite). The full fledged desktop XBMC application has been entirely ported to iOS for use on any (jailbroken) device with an A4 chip.
No, there is no way XBMC would ever land in the iOS store.

macsrcool1234
Jan 21, 2011, 12:44 AM

This is the most clueless response I have ever seen in my life.

XMBC does *FAR* more than just add a few more format that Apple TV can't play natively.

Increased resolution playback, better control via remotes, web support, event controlling....I could go on for hours.

Simple searching on the web can tell you of the many possibilities, please educate yourself before posting next time and maybe you can save yourself a needless post ;).

bobgorila
Jan 21, 2011, 12:50 AM
Can someone who's tried it tell me if:

- AVI and MKV containers work
- HD non-.264 video is supported (like, DivX and XviD)
- multicoloured fancy SSA subtitles work (such as what you might see in a fancy anime fansub)

I want to believe my iPad and ATV2 will be able to "just play" anything that turns up without having to transcode or repack... but it just seems too amazing.

spencers
Jan 21, 2011, 12:53 AM
Can someone who's tried it tell me if:

- AVI and MKV containers work
- HD non-.264 video is supported (like, DivX and XviD)
- multicoloured fancy SSA subtitles work (such as what you might see in a fancy anime fansub)

I want to believe my iPad and ATV2 will be able to "just play" anything that turns up without having to transcode or repack... but it just seems too amazing.
YES to the first two. Not sure about subs, as I personally don't use them unless they're already inside the mkv container or hardcoded.

Go download it for your Mac (or PC) and try for yourself. http://xbmc.org/download/

The iOS version of XBMC will be the same exact thing. Heck, if your device is already jailbroken, you have nothing to lose by installing XBMC and trying for yourself as well.

tommylotto
Jan 21, 2011, 12:59 AM
It plays 1080p files. That is not that big of a deal. AppleTV 2 always could play a 1080p .m4v file --although a little choppy. The problem is that output on the ATV2 is limited to 720p. Does XBMC allow you to change the output resolution to 1080p? If so, cool. If not, no big deal.

smate
Jan 21, 2011, 01:00 AM
Been waiting for this one. Install was easy, works great!

jamesryanbell
Jan 21, 2011, 01:15 AM
No jailbreaks. Everything has to be legit through Apple or it doesn't count.

Next.

Gromit
Jan 21, 2011, 01:54 AM
I have the old AppleTV and it has XMBC on it. I never use it. It also has Boxee on it which I use everyday. I will get excited when Boxee announce a port, but not by this one.

The old AppleTV had Boxee and XMBC via an hack rather than jailbreaking the OS. The result was the best of both worlds and an elegant solution. I would be reluctant to Jailbreak.

nekonokami
Jan 21, 2011, 01:56 AM
:rolleyes:

got about a hundred spare cables but no micro usb one *sigh*

marcosscriven
Jan 21, 2011, 02:13 AM
CRIPES!! I have a king's ransom in just-in-case cables. Freakin' mountain. Mountain I say! Not one damn micro USB.

Tell me about it. Micro USB has never seemed to catch on. Since upgrading this way is only meant for devs and Apple engineers, I guess that's why they chose it.

Be warned though - I ended up having to get a second cable, as the first one (from my external HD) didn't work properly with the ATV. Somehow the plug went in just far enough to power it up, but not far enough to make a proper data connection, even though it worked fine for the HD.

Methanoid
Jan 21, 2011, 02:29 AM
At last a reason to buy ATV2 :)

Does anyone know if:

WakeOnLAN plugin works ??

AdvanceSettings.xml exists ?? (think its ~/Library/Application Support/XBMC/userdata) - need to be able to share XBMC library on a network http://lifehacker.com/5634515/how-to-synchronize-your-xbmc-media-center-across-every-room-in-the-house

Hurda
Jan 21, 2011, 02:48 AM
So the ATV2 can run 1080p without a problem but Apple has just not allowed it.
My thoughts exactly. It's the new Apple, I guess.

Cue the people who cry "Send the jailbreakers to Gitmo for actually trying getting the best out of their bought and legally owned devices!". :cool:

DrRadon
Jan 21, 2011, 02:48 AM
HDMI and 3,5 Audio Cable + Plex Player = Apple TV in a cheaper better version. I have no idea why people are buying this thing... but than again there are also people buying apples cinema display or add ram to their computers in the apple store.

tallyho
Jan 21, 2011, 03:04 AM
HDMI and 3,5 Audio Cable + Plex Player = Apple TV in a cheaper better version. I have no idea why people are buying this thing... but than again there are also people buying apples cinema display or add ram to their computers in the apple store.
Um....OK :confused: What are you running Plex Player on that is cheaper than an Apple TV? Or are you seriously suggesting that using a desktop or laptop computer and having cables trailing down from your TV is "better"?

Fizzoid
Jan 21, 2011, 03:06 AM
This is the most clueless response I have ever seen in my life.

XMBC does *FAR* more than just add a few more format that Apple TV can't play natively.

Increased resolution playback, better control via remotes, web support, event controlling....I could go on for hours.

Simple searching on the web can tell you of the many possibilities, please educate yourself before posting next time and maybe you can save yourself a needless post ;). This is the same guy that didn't know about Brother printers, and was clearly unable to Google so I wouldn't take him too seriously ;)

Be warned though - I ended up having to get a second cable, as the first one (from my external HD) didn't work properly with the ATV. Somehow the plug went in just far enough to power it up, but not far enough to make a proper data connection, even though it worked fine for the HD.
Buddy of mine had a similar issue with a micro USB cable, casuing him a few issues, so do check

MrCrowbar
Jan 21, 2011, 03:12 AM
I love XBMC on my Mac Mini. Hooked up to the TV, controlled with BLuetooth Keyboard

macadam212
Jan 21, 2011, 03:17 AM
I have it on my Apple TV 1. It looks nice but doesn't seem to do a lot, is it supposed to find my iTunes library????? I use Hand brake to rip content so that it is Apple TV compatible, so I guess it's just not for me. Boxee is cool though!

iKennett
Jan 21, 2011, 03:29 AM
Does this mean I could watch BBC iPlayer? and even catchuptv.com?

anim8or
Jan 21, 2011, 03:35 AM
Slightly off topic but very relevant...

Does anyone know if the tethered jailbreak means tethered during a full boot from a complete power off at the mains startup

or

tethered when booting from standby???

If its from standby then i think i will wait until some nice people discover an untethered jailbreak for my appletv2... having to turn on my laptop and connect the appletv everytime i wanna use it kinda defeats the purpose... i would be better just running xbmc from my laptop connected to my tv!

evonietzsche
Jan 21, 2011, 04:31 AM
Mmmmm i-m trying this awesome xbmc but have some doubts.So used to use it on first apple tv with an usb attach and actualliy using Plex with aTV2 i-m totally lost.

How u share your videos on your mac with xbmc.There's any client like Plex client?

Thanks!

slipper
Jan 21, 2011, 04:55 AM
I love XBMC. IMO better than Plex and Boxee. I use it on my Mac Mini HTPC. How does XBMC for :apple:TV compare to its Mac counterpart and Plex for :apple:TV?

Evgenyy
Jan 21, 2011, 05:08 AM
Um....OK :confused: What are you running Plex Player on that is cheaper than an Apple TV? Or are you seriously suggesting that using a desktop or laptop computer and having cables trailing down from your TV is "better"?

Completely agree - running wires across house/flat is far from "better" solution. Works for some but not for me.

If they figure out how to pass through DD5.1, and DTS, the XBMC on ATV2 will be perfect. Unless it works already and is hidden somewhere in the settings...

wetrix
Jan 21, 2011, 05:15 AM
Can a USB hard drive be attached to ATV2 (micro USB to micro USB cable) and be accessed by XBMC or does the library have to be networked?

ReflexReact
Jan 21, 2011, 06:03 AM
Ok this is some fantastic news. So here are some questions I have:

1. Will XBMC read the files drag / dropped onto an iPhone when in mass storage mode? Aka completely avoiding the need to use iTunes?

2. Is the iPhone4 powerful enough to output the video in 1080p (or 720p) via apple connector dock -> HDMI cable?

3. Is all HD content (x264,H.264, etc) hardware decoded, and smooth?

4. If hardware accelleration is enabled, what is the impact on battery by watching a 8gig x264 MKV file? Should it be similar to watching a native iPhone video?

5. No 5th question, but a massive thanks to the XBMC team for once again kicking ass!

Macmoney
Jan 21, 2011, 07:04 AM
Can i mirror my desktop to my flat screen....using this?

peterdevries
Jan 21, 2011, 07:07 AM
According to one of the main devs of XBMC in their forum, the Apple TV2 does not output 1080p using XBMC.

XBMC can decode it on the Apple TV2, but the output is still limited to 720p. Bummer.

aussiedj
Jan 21, 2011, 07:08 AM
Seems to be easier to boot when you just plug the USB & then do the remote buttons, then when it goes into DFU plug the power straight in.

SO much simpler than all that remote rage I just experienced!

pruppert
Jan 21, 2011, 07:17 AM
I have it on my Apple TV 1. It looks nice but doesn't seem to do a lot, is it supposed to find my iTunes library????? I use Hand brake to rip content so that it is Apple TV compatible, so I guess it's just not for me. Boxee is cool though!

You probably need to add a source in the videos section. Use your computers ip address as the source. Then if you have a Mac, make sure to turn on file sharing in system preferences. Then designate a folder to share, again in system preferences. Then go to XBMC on the ATV and use that folder as the source in the add sources section.

pruppert
Jan 21, 2011, 07:20 AM
Slightly off topic but very relevant...

Does anyone know if the tethered jailbreak means tethered during a full boot from a complete power off at the mains startup

or

tethered when booting from standby???

If its from standby then i think i will wait until some nice people discover an untethered jailbreak for my appletv2... having to turn on my laptop and connect the appletv everytime i wanna use it kinda defeats the purpose... i would be better just running xbmc from my laptop connected to my tv!

A tethered reboot is not needed when waking from standby. You only need a tethered reboot from fully powered off ATV.

drewyboy
Jan 21, 2011, 07:30 AM
Plex requires everything to be converted xbmc doesnt. this is by far better

Respectfully, it doesn't. If the hardware cannot output the video in it's native format, then it gets transcoded on the fly. Example, if I'm viewing on another computer, it's going to be full resolution full everything. But if viewed on a appletv or iphone, ipad, ipod... it will transcode it to the max output of that device. Edit: Which is no different from how the new XMBC is doing it. As stated above, the AppleTV cannot output in 1080, as of now, but Firecore is working on that one.

As far as the iOS app, it's not just a remote, it can stream over wifi/3g any music and/or movies/ plex app's that you want. I've shown coworkers it and it has started streaming my movies/shows faster (on my iphone 4) than the netflix app that my coworker had on his iPhone 4.

At the end of the day, to each his own, but the plex media server in .9 is absolutely amazing. There's a reason that LG is using it to power all their Smart TV's and bluray players. By powering, I mean their network streaming capability.

Evgenyy
Jan 21, 2011, 07:39 AM
Respectfully, it doesn't. If the hardware cannot output the video in it's native format, then it gets transcoded on the fly. Example, if I'm viewing on another computer, it's going to be full resolution full everything. But if viewed on a appletv or iphone, ipad, ipod... it will transcode it to the max output of that device. Edit: Which is no different from how the new XMBC is doing it. As stated above, the AppleTV cannot output in 1080, as of now, but Firecore is working on that one.

As far as the iOS app, it's not just a remote, it can stream over wifi/3g any music and/or movies/ plex app's that you want. I've shown coworkers it and it has started streaming my movies/shows faster (on my iphone 4) than the netflix app that my coworker had on his iPhone 4.

At the end of the day, to each his own, but the plex media server in .9 is absolutely amazing. There's a reason that LG is using it to power all their Smart TV's and bluray players. By powering, I mean their network streaming capability.

The only difference is that with XBMC the transcoding part happens on ATV and not on the host machine. Depending on what profile XBMC uses, it is likely to result in higher quality and less buffering problems than the model that Plex uses for iOS devices, especially when PMS is running on a less capable Mac Minis. As far as I understand it, Plex transcodes HD files into 1.5Mbps, while XBMC will reduce the resolution but keep the quality close to original...

ohsnap
Jan 21, 2011, 07:41 AM
spoke

dacapo
Jan 21, 2011, 07:51 AM
Thank you, finally!!
Now I can sell my underwhelming WDTV Live and get the ATV2!

maxpouliot
Jan 21, 2011, 07:57 AM
Is it possible to jailbreak an apple tv on a pc?

drewyboy
Jan 21, 2011, 07:57 AM
The only difference is that with XBMC the transcoding part happens on ATV and not on the host machine. Depending on what profile XBMC uses, it is likely to result in higher quality and less buffering problems than the model that Plex uses for iOS devices, especially when PMS is running on a less capable Mac Minis. As far as I understand it, Plex transcodes HD files into 1.5Mbps, while XBMC will reduce the resolution but keep the quality close to original...

That's very interesting that XMBC does transcoding on the client side. I can only speak for my iPhone for Plex's iOS capability but I checked my settings and it streams 2Mbps. I may take a look at XMBC, but I love what Plex has does w/ their media server, so it'll be hard for me to switch, but always gota keep an open mind.

Spanky Deluxe
Jan 21, 2011, 08:01 AM
As soon as Plex gets on the bandwagon I'll be getting one of these.

Evgenyy
Jan 21, 2011, 08:08 AM
That's very interesting that XMBC does transcoding on the client side. I can only speak for my iPhone for Plex's iOS capability but I checked my settings and it streams 2Mbps. I may take a look at XMBC, but I love what Plex has does w/ their media server, so it'll be hard for me to switch, but always gota keep an open mind.

Indeed, I prefer to have the server/client since it makes it easier to maintain the library, however, until plex gets fully featured clients on other platforms, this XBMC port seems to be a better solution. I read on plex forums that XBMC outputs better quality and possibly does passthrough DD5.1 and DTS. See http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/22723-xbmc-natively-running-on-atv/page__view__findpost__p__140959
To me, this alone is enough to be excited since Plex client on ATV only does stereo at the moment...

rusty2192
Jan 21, 2011, 08:12 AM
Looks like I have a project for the weekend. I had my ATV2 jailbroken back when the first jailbreak was released, but have since updated to the newest stock firmware for airplay.

OmegaRed1723
Jan 21, 2011, 08:18 AM
Boy am I regretting upgrading my :apple:TV to the 4.3 beta. I really want to try this out! I have XBMC running on my :apple:TV1 with Crystalbuntu, and it's great. The scraping isn't as good as Plex (which I have running on my mini), but depending on the skin you use, the end experience can be more or less the same.

Management
Jan 21, 2011, 08:21 AM
Can this XBMC's media manager access the videos on my Mac Mini?

Djlild7hina
Jan 21, 2011, 08:22 AM
i just started using xbmc on my hackintosh and i love it! works better than plex IMO and only thing was i had to get unicode working but that's all. now to buy a atv2 :D

mstruve
Jan 21, 2011, 08:28 AM
Can anyone confirm whether this will work with streaming from a NAS?

Wouldn't there be some transcoding required for filetypes that can't be played natively on the ATV2? Can a NAS do this?

Thanks.

Also, is there any Windows jailbreak at all for the ATV2?

spencers
Jan 21, 2011, 08:32 AM
Can anyone confirm whether this will work with streaming from a NAS?

Wouldn't there be some transcoding required for filetypes that can't be played natively on the ATV2? Can a NAS do this?

yes! Just add the NAS as a network share.
No transcoding needed. XBMC will decode it all!

thetexan
Jan 21, 2011, 08:37 AM
This finally makes the Apple TV worth something, because just playing iTunes formatted nonsense made the device worthless in my opinion.

You'd think Apple would make jailbreaking these devices easy as they're going to sell a lot more of them now that you can actually use it. My guess is though Apple sells these devices at a break-even point with the hope that you'll spend some money in the iTunes store.

XBMC turned a worthless piece of crap into what will now be the center of my home theater system. Now if I could only find one running iOS 4.1 so I don't have to do a tethered jailbreak...

mstruve
Jan 21, 2011, 08:46 AM
yes! Just add the NAS as a network share.
No transcoding needed. XBMC will decode it all!

Great, thanks.

Sorry to sound thick, but what do you mean by adding it as a network share? Is that a mac term? I'm only really familiar with Windows networking (probably in a minority on these forums!)

JonathanU
Jan 21, 2011, 08:47 AM
Slightly off topic, but please bear with me!

I've tried the WDTV Live Plus (and everything everyone says about the menus is true - they are pretty cumbersome!) which was connected to an Airport Express base station by ethernet cable, and was reading content fairly well of a NAS drive connected to my BT Home hub (a router and modem combined).

I bought a new Home cinema system (Sony BDV IZ1000W) which streams content from my NAS (except Video_TS files - annoying) but they seem to be slow in loading up.

I'm wondering if this is an issue with the Sony box (in which case, an ATV2 with XBMC looks good) or if it could be the Airport Express, or my Home hub, and was looking for advice from others!

Cheers.

twarner776
Jan 21, 2011, 08:55 AM
As soon as Plex gets on the bandwagon I'll be getting one of these.

not sure what you mean on the bandwagon. Plex has a ATV2 app and a ios app for iphone/ipad. works great over wifi and 3g. I would much rather have my mac mini (new version 2.4 with 8 GB DDR) due the transcoding that the ATV2 doing it as XBMC does. Ive used both XBMC and plex, and plex has a much better interface to me.

jbcaro
Jan 21, 2011, 09:01 AM
Ok, this is new to me and looks very interesting but what is a 10-foot interface?:eek:

alhedges
Jan 21, 2011, 09:07 AM
No jailbreaks. Everything has to be legit through Apple or it doesn't count.

Next.

I don't even know what that means. "It doesn't count?"

chirpie
Jan 21, 2011, 09:26 AM
Ok, this is new to me and looks very interesting but what is a 10-foot interface?:eek:

Thank goodness it's not just me.

Is this a new measurement like ems in css? :-P

fabian9
Jan 21, 2011, 09:29 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10-foot_user_interface

rusty2192
Jan 21, 2011, 09:32 AM
Thank goodness it's not just me.

Is this a new measurement like ems in css? :-P

I too am not sure, but my guess is that it means the interface is designed to be controlled from 10 feet away, in other words, from the couch. The text would be big enough to read and not to cluttered. Unlike a normal computer interface that is basically unusable on a tv from normal viewing distances.

Edit: Sweet! Looks like I guessed correctly as the link was posted while I was typing up my response.

spencers
Jan 21, 2011, 09:32 AM
Great, thanks.

Sorry to sound thick, but what do you mean by adding it as a network share? Is that a mac term? I'm only really familiar with Windows networking (probably in a minority on these forums!)

It's more of an XBMC term. When adding media to XBMC, you add "media sources," or more simply put, locations to the folders containing your media.

For example, let's say I have 2 external hard drives; one with movies and one with tv shows. I add those as separate media sources and designate each one as either movies or tv. The media sources can range from local folders, attached storage, and network (samba) shares. Another example: For music, let's say I have my iTunes Media folder shared over the network on my Macbook Pro. I just point XBMC to that share by adding a media source, and all my music is available on my XBMC.

What ultimately comes from separating out the library is the ability for meta info (aka media info, thumbnails, movie posters, etc) to be pulled down in an efficient way.

Looks great, and is readable, even from 10-feet away!
Check out the "refocus (http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?f=72)" theme; it's gorgeous!
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/7673/refocus1.png (http://img441.imageshack.us/i/refocus1.png/)

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/6447/post50312808651267449.jpg (http://img525.imageshack.us/i/post50312808651267449.jpg/)

fkntotalkaos
Jan 21, 2011, 09:37 AM
My questions are:
1) Why is Plex not doing 1080p? Plex has always been better than xbmc since the Mac developers left the XMBC team.

2) why won't apple use either technology native, plex or xbmc in their OS:confused:

fkntotalkaos
Jan 21, 2011, 09:45 AM
xbmc is the best media center on the planet - AppleTV iOS is basic in comparison

Plex, is better. The OS X team left xbmc and started Plex

twarner776
Jan 21, 2011, 09:48 AM
My questions are:
1) Why is Plex not doing 1080p? Plex has always been better than XMBC since the Mac developers left the XMBC team.

2) why won't apple use either technology native, plex or xbmc in their OS:confused:

1) Plex does do 1080P The ATV2 is the one that only supports 720P
2) Apple wont use it because its similar functionality as front row. They would never admit that someone makes a better program than they do.

darkplanets
Jan 21, 2011, 09:49 AM
My questions are:
1) Why is Plex not doing 1080p? Plex has always been better than XMBC since the Mac developers left the XMBC team.

2) why won't apple use either technology native, plex or XMBC in their OS:confused:

1) Plex still can read/play 1080p files as far as I'm aware-- the same limiting factor for both systems is that the ATV can't output 1080p. Personally I don't like Plex's current model of a media server having to run software to distribute content, and even more so that the media server then has to transcode everything for iDevices. I think it's crap IMO. I prefer the external storage just being connected to the device or network shared as-is, not having to be hooked up and indexed to a "server" (another computer) which then distributes content to other devices via transcodes, etc. I feel like it just adds an extra layer of unnecessary use.

2) The day that Apple uses their own APIs (which is mostly what XMBC is doing here) as well as appropriate file decoders, demuxers, and general support for a large plethora of formats is the day that hell freezes over and becomes a winter wonderland, complete with ice castle and all.

Žalgiris
Jan 21, 2011, 09:50 AM
It's more of an XBMC term. When adding media to XBMC, you add "media sources," or more simply put, locations to the folders containing your media.

For example, let's say I have 2 external hard drives; one with movies and one with tv shows. I add those as separate media sources and designate each one as either movies or tv. The media sources can range from local folders, attached storage, and network (samba) shares. Another example: For music, let's say I have my iTunes Media folder shared over the network on my Macbook Pro. I just point XBMC to that share by adding a media source, and all my music is available on my XBMC.

What ultimately comes from separating out the library is the ability for meta info (aka media info, thumbnails, movie posters, etc) to be pulled down in an efficient way.

Looks great, and is readable, even from 10-feet away!
Check out the "refocus (http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?f=72)" theme; it's gorgeous!
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/7673/refocus1.png (http://img441.imageshack.us/i/refocus1.png/)

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/6447/post50312808651267449.jpg (http://img525.imageshack.us/i/post50312808651267449.jpg/)

XPERIENCE is nice too.

mstruve
Jan 21, 2011, 09:50 AM

Thats really helpful, thanks very much.

I actually previously used XBMC to organise and view media on my PC, so I'm familiar with media sources. I abandoned it eventually because the upkeep became too fiddly, such as scrapers not finding info and duplicate files etc. I'd find myself spending hours at a time just trying to get artwork and info for everything I'd downloaded.

Being able to stream to ATV2 will be an incentive to have a look at it again and try and get it working for me.

twarner776
Jan 21, 2011, 09:54 AM
1) Plex still can read/play 1080p files as far as I'm aware-- the same limiting factor for both systems is that the ATV can't output 1080p. Personally I don't like Plex's current model of a media server having to run software to distribute content, and even more so that the media server then has to transcode everything for iDevices. I think it's crap IMO. I prefer the external storage just being connected to the device or network shared as-is, not having to be hooked up and indexed to a "server" (another computer) which then distributes content to other devices via transcodes, etc. I feel like it just adds an extra layer of unnecessary use.

The question I have about this is the processor and both the ipad and iphone can transcode the video for HD fast enough. I will admit i never tried the iphone/ipad version of XBMC but i did try VLC and I kept getting processor not powerful enough errors for HD content. In plex for iphone since I have a mac mini doing the transcoding over wifi I can watch perfect HD and 3G SD works great.

vivithemage
Jan 21, 2011, 09:57 AM
Can you attach these to Windows Media Center 7? I'd like to play some live tv from this lil guy :D

Anyone confirm?

spencers
Jan 21, 2011, 10:04 AM
Thats really helpful, thanks very much.

I actually previously used XBMC to organise and view media on my PC, so I'm familiar with media sources. I abandoned it eventually because the upkeep became too fiddly, such as scrapers not finding info and duplicate files etc. I'd find myself spending hours at a time just trying to get artwork and info for everything I'd downloaded.

Being able to stream to ATV2 will be an incentive to have a look at it again and try and get it working for me.

You're welcome! XBMC has come a long, long way. If the movies and tv shows are named properly, scrapers will have no problem pulling info and data. I've had no problems since I learned how to name files.
The question I have about this is the processor and both the ipad and iphone can transcode the video for HD fast enough. I will admit i never tried the iphone/ipad version of XBMC but i did try VLC and I kept getting processor not powerful enough errors for HD content. In plex for iphone since I have a mac mini doing the transcoding over wifi I can watch perfect HD and 3G SD works great.
Looks like it works pretty darn well! Did you check the TUAW link in the Macrumors article?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEKR-FJAlnI&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2nrKJd5jeMU

mstruve
Jan 21, 2011, 10:11 AM
You're welcome! XBMC has come a long, long way. If the movies and tv shows are named properly, scrapers will have no problem pulling info and data. I've had no problems since I learned how to name files.

Well that was part of the issue really, I found I was having to rename half the stuff I was downloading. What I want to do is be able to automatically move completed torrents to the XBMC source folder, then let the scrapers do their work. Using ATV2 will be an incentive to have another look at getting this working. Any pointers on this would also be much appreciated :)

Also, if you're using just a NAS and ATV2, which device is doing the legwork with scraping? Surely the ATV2 lacks power for this? Even my PC would take quite a while to refresh the library at times.

blubyu
Jan 21, 2011, 10:12 AM
Plex, is better. The OS X team left xbmc and started Plex

Not even close to the truth. Get your facts straight before you start spewing this kind of nonsense.

spencers
Jan 21, 2011, 10:15 AM
Well that was part of the issue really, I found I was having to rename half the stuff I was downloading. What I want to do is be able to automatically move completed torrents to the XBMC source folder, then let the scrapers do their work. Using ATV2 will be an incentive to have another look at getting this working. Any pointers on this would also be much appreciated :)

Also, if you're using just a NAS and ATV2, which device is doing the legwork with scraping? Surely the ATV2 lacks power for this? Even my PC would take quite a while to refresh the library at times.

Look into Sickbeard (for TV shows) and CouchPotato (for movies). It's exactly what you're looking for!!

The ATV will do the scraping. But typically, you only need to scrape your entire library just once. Unless you're adding a bunch of files each time you update your library....

mstruve
Jan 21, 2011, 10:45 AM
Look into Sickbeard (for TV shows) and CouchPotato (for movies). It's exactly what you're looking for!!

The ATV will do the scraping. But typically, you only need to scrape your entire library just once. Unless you're adding a bunch of files each time you update your library....

Awesome, thanks. Will have a look at both of those.

Yes thats the thing, I was having to refresh the whole library each time I added new files. Thinking about it though, if I have XBMC running on my PC with a NAS as the media source, I can just do the library maintenance and scraping on the PC, so no scraping necessary on the ATV. Is that right?

Thanks again for the help, looking forward to trying all this out (once there's a windows jailbreak tool!)

spencers
Jan 21, 2011, 10:50 AM
Awesome, thanks. Will have a look at both of those.

Yes thats the thing, I was having to refresh the whole library each time I added new files. Thinking about it though, if I have XBMC running on my PC with a NAS as the media source, I can just do the library maintenance and scraping on the PC, so no scraping necessary on the ATV. Is that right?

Thanks again for the help, looking forward to trying all this out (once there's a windows jailbreak tool!)

While I haven't done it myself, I've read about people sharing a single library with multiple XBMC setups. With my default XBMC Live setup, all meta info and data is stored on the internal drive. What those people do, I believe, is have that happen on one machine, then subsequently just point each other machine to the xbmc data of that first machine... An alias or shortcut, if you will.

This is the part where Plex may come in handy. They have their "Plex Media Server," which allows sharing. I'm not sure if it shares the library data or not, but it's an interesting feature.

srexy
Jan 21, 2011, 11:17 AM
What version of iOS do you need to be on for this to install?

I'm on a JB 4.0 and I get this error when trying to install XBMC:

W: GPG error: http://apt.awkwardtv.org ./ Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 89711CE585F73AB5

edit: whoops - Google is my buddy: "Running XBMC on an Apple TV requires a jailbroken ATV2 running version 4.1 or 4.2.1 of Apple's iOS operating system – installation instructions are available on the XBMC web site. A video of the second generation Apple TV running XBMC is available on YouTube."

spencers
Jan 21, 2011, 11:23 AM
What version of iOS do you need to be on for this to install?
I'm on a JB 4.0 and I get this error when trying to install XBMC:

W: GPG error: http://apt.awkwardtv.org ./ Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 89711CE585F73AB5

I assume you're on iPhone/iPad if you have 4.0 installed? Try installing through Cydia.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Install_XBMC_on_iPhone/iPad

mrrippey
Jan 21, 2011, 11:33 AM
Would love to stream from my HDD on the network (actually connected to my AppleTV v1)

Rippey

Evgenyy
Jan 21, 2011, 11:49 AM

Agree, SickBeard and CouchPotato are awesome. The fact that you can manage them from ATV via plugins is a massive bonus! :D

VoR
Jan 21, 2011, 12:12 PM
xbmc is far and away the best media center software about - There's now an absolutely massive incentive to get an ATV2.

What I didn't realise was the price in the UK (and the 720p hardware limitation) - I'd seen the $99 US price tag, Ł101 doesn't really translate too well for me. I think I'd still rather pay a small premium and get an ION box.

pmz
Jan 21, 2011, 12:16 PM
Wow. I've yet to jailbreak my AppleTV2, but this just might make me do it.

I've been somewhat enjoying the converting everything to .mp4 tasks.

wrz0170
Jan 21, 2011, 12:21 PM
I perused through the posts and tried to find the answer(s) so if they were there, sorry I may have missed it.

1. Will XBMC play nice with your existing iTunes library and will it stream moveis via iTunes? iTunes is just one of our sources for movies since we ditched cable.

2. Can you hook up an external HD and browse it like an iTunes libarary?

3. Will the Apple TV Remote and app work with it?

Thanks!

mouthster
Jan 21, 2011, 12:45 PM
I perused through the posts and tried to find the answer(s) so if they were there, sorry I may have missed it.

1. Will XBMC play nice with your existing iTunes library and will it stream moveis via iTunes? iTunes is just one of our sources for movies since we ditched cable.

2. Can you hook up an external HD and browse it like an iTunes library?

3. Will the Apple TV Remote and app work with it?

Thanks!

1. Yes, XBMC is added as an extra menu within the normal ATV2 interface you are used to. Everything is intact. So for iTunes content you can just stick to using the normal way you are used to. I would only use XBMC for content iTunes can't play.

2. Don't know about that, if it's not there now I'm sure it's a possibility later. EDIT: looks like this will never happen, the ATV2 doesnt have a USB host controller in its hardware so it won't be able to read or write to an external USB disk

3. The Apple TV Remote does work with XBMC, I don't know about the Remote app though.

enklined
Jan 21, 2011, 12:54 PM
Can anyone explain to me why I would buy an ATV2 if I already own an XBox360 which resides in my living room? I feel like a lot of people love this thing, but I'm not seeing it do anything that I can't already do with my Xbox...

All my movies, music, TV Shows, and pics are saved on a NAS (ReadyNAS Duo). No PC running to stream my stuff. Turn on Xbox, go to videos, NAS, BAM. Am I missing something here that the ATV2 would excel at, or do differently?

mouthster
Jan 21, 2011, 01:08 PM
Can anyone explain to me why I would buy an ATV2 if I already own an XBox360 which resides in my living room? I feel like a lot of people love this thing, but I'm not seeing it do anything that I can't already do with my Xbox...

All my movies, music, TV Shows, and pics are saved on a NAS (ReadyNAS Duo). No PC running to stream my stuff. Turn on Xbox, go to videos, NAS, BAM. Am I missing something here that the ATV2 would excel at, or do differently?

You're not missing anything, if the Xbox360 works for you, then stick with it. The ATV2 is completely silent though. Depending on the model 360's can be pretty noisy.

spencers
Jan 21, 2011, 01:21 PM
3. The Apple TV Remote does work with XBMC, I don't know about the Remote app though.

The physical remote will work with both. However, the Apple Remote app will only work with the ATV side of things. You'd need an XBMC Remote app to control the XBMC side if you want to control it with your phone.

Shuntros
Jan 21, 2011, 02:02 PM
Unfortunately I've found both 1080 and 720 video to stutter A LOT. Even 480p isn't particularly smooth. The atv2 CPU sits at between 20-30% utilised with XBMC at idle, before you even attempt to play a video.

Early days I guess so I'll watch and see how it develops, but in the meantime PLEX suits my requirements perfectly.

iKennett
Jan 21, 2011, 02:22 PM
Anyone else have the wrong time nn their XBMC software? How do I change this?

ashy7
Jan 21, 2011, 03:15 PM
I intsalled XBMC and it is nice, but it is a lot more hassle than Plex. The way that Plex just works and sets the server up with all the metadata is just brilliant. I am going to persevere with XBMC, but setting up the all the folders and getting the metadata is starting to annoy me!

Perhaps I am wrong, but the main advantage of XBMC over plex at the moment appears to be the ability to work from a NAS drive. As I do not have a NAS drive yet, I think Plex is going to do for me for the time being.

RedTomato
Jan 21, 2011, 03:17 PM
Wirelessly posted (This odd thing that I hold: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

This looks like wonderful stuff. However I have a question of my own. I only watch films / tv about once or twice a week. So I don't want a server or NAS drive on and spinning all the time. I set up a MythTV box a long time ago and I don't really want to go through that again :)

I also don't want to have to connect to a laptop or pc to run it. Partner and kids can't handle that kind of geekery.

So what are my best / cheapest options for a low-power xbmc with a few TB of storage? Apple TV with a NAS that supports spindown? (Which ones do?) Or a G4 mac mini, opened with a larger HD in it plus a USB drive?

Seems Plex needs a server so xbmc would be better for this. I also need utterly strong subtitle support and video_ts support. I don't have the time or the hardware to transcode all my DVDs plus sort out their subtitles.

fkntotalkaos
Jan 21, 2011, 03:18 PM
Not even close to the truth. Get your facts straight before you start spewing this kind of nonsense.

Really? Were you not around for the divorce ????

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=20916311640&topic=4152

http://www.osxbmc.com/

Original OSXBMC was good but a buggy and the original OSX team has split, and the developers formed PLEX.

BlackMangoTree
Jan 21, 2011, 03:58 PM

XBMC does not transcode anything.

MDJCM
Jan 21, 2011, 04:11 PM
Can a USB hard drive be attached to ATV2 (micro USB to micro USB cable) and be accessed by XBMC or does the library have to be networked?

This is the most important question. Can anyone answer it!

I don't want to buy a NAS or have another computer on

MDJCM
Jan 21, 2011, 04:15 PM
2. Don't know about that, if it's not there now I'm sure it's a possibility later. EDIT: looks like this will never happen, the ATV2 doesnt have a USB host controller in its hardware so it won't be able to read or write to an external USB disk

damn! So that's the end of that dream, gonna have to get a NAS of sorts

twarner776
Jan 21, 2011, 04:15 PM
I intsalled XBMC and it is nice, but it is a lot more hassle than Plex. The way that Plex just works and sets the server up with all the metadata is just brilliant. I am going to persevere with XBMC, but setting up the all the folders and getting the metadata is starting to annoy me!

Perhaps I am wrong, but the main advantage of XBMC over plex at the moment appears to be the ability to work from a NAS drive. As I do not have a NAS drive yet, I think Plex is going to do for me for the time being.

I have plex working from a NAS and it works fine. Setup took a minute to figure out but in short I have OSX mount the NAS drive 1st as it boots then loads plex 2nd. The to ensure it all stays running I have a cron job run every minute that makes sure plex and the drive are mounted. That way if plex ever crashes on my mini im never 60 seconds away from it being back up. Agree on XBMC being a pain to setup. Not only is it a pain but its a pain because you have to do it to every device you have where plex goes back and connects to the main server and sees all of your content whether its ATV or iOS its seamless.

anim8or
Jan 21, 2011, 04:19 PM
A tethered reboot is not needed when waking from standby. You only need a tethered reboot from fully powered off ATV.

Thanks.

Now to but a micro usb cable and jailbreak my AppleTV!

VoR
Jan 21, 2011, 04:21 PM
Really? Were you not around for the divorce ????

Original OSXBMC was good but a buggy and the original OSX team has split, and the developers formed PLEX.

He probably was, which is why he said what he said :)

This picture (taken from the plex website) says a fair amount:
http://elan.plexapp.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/untitled7.jpg

Plex is an basically an outdated version of xbmc with a dumbed down skin engine, simplified settings and a closed source media server - It has nowhere near the development pace, quality, community, features, etcetc
It's absolutely fine to prefer one over the other (plex's roots and closed course media server may cause a raised an eyebrow to most htpc/oss followers, but it obviously suits those heavily invested in the itunes-centric/mac drm world), but I wouldn't post silly assumptions as fact :)

ibookster
Jan 21, 2011, 05:05 PM
This is awesome - I hope we get an untethered jailbreak soon. I have a feeling it will take a while though :confused:

aussiedj
Jan 21, 2011, 05:23 PM
Ok, so for the last 12 hours, here I am trying to get this thing connected. What is interesting is all of your protocols are for PC!!!

And your manuals just waffle on about how you can get the listing of the actors names and directors, but FAILS to mention how to connect the 2 machines together wireless.

What is also interesting is that the wiki is so dissorganised that it is impossible to actually get any step by step instructions.

So please accept my apologies for my clear impatience at this point & frustration. Clearly we are the guinea pigs. Geez there we go again.

Gowin for a shmoke!!

US Marine
Jan 21, 2011, 06:18 PM
I'm assuming if I use XBMC, i lose the ability to playback any TV shows I've bought from the iTMS?

Unless I missed it somewhere, I don't think this question was addressed. So what's the deal? By jailbreaking the AppleTV do you lose the ability to purchase shows and stuff from iTMS or play things you have already purchased?

anim8or
Jan 21, 2011, 06:26 PM
Unless I missed it somewhere, I don't think this question was addressed. So what's the deal? By jailbreaking the AppleTV do you lose the ability to purchase shows and stuff from iTMS or play things you have already purchased?

No.

By installing XBMC you are simply adding an additional option to the Apple TV's standard menu.

So you have Movies, Tv Shows, Internet, XBMC, Computers and Settings.

By selecting XBMC you launch the application and then can view media that streamed from you mac that the Apple Tv would not natively be able to play like .mkv or .avi files.

The original Apple TV functionality is still intact and can be used as usual.

GimmeSlack12
Jan 21, 2011, 06:27 PM

Can't you get a scraper for XMBC? I admit that setting up Plex for the first time isn't exactly a 5 minute ordeal, but the scraping is totally automated.

Does XMBC do scraping???

spencers
Jan 21, 2011, 06:30 PM
Ok, so for the last 12 hours, here I am trying to get this thing connected. What is interesting is all of your protocols are for PC!!!

And your manuals just waffle on about how you can get the listing of the actors names and directors, but FAILS to mention how to connect the 2 machines together wireless.

What is also interesting is that the wiki is so dissorganised that it is impossible to actually get any step by step instructions.

So please accept my apologies for my clear impatience at this point & frustration. Clearly we are the guinea pigs. Geez there we go again.

Gowin for a shmoke!!

I won't lie, there's learning curve for setting up XBMC. And yes, the Wiki is a little outdated.
Just sign up for the forums on http://forums.xbmc.org and search until you find your answer.
There's lots of folks with XBMC set up. The age of guinea pigs with this software has long since passed. :)

Can't you get a scraper for XMBC? I admit that setting up Plex for the first time isn't exactly a 5 minute ordeal, but the scraping is totally automated.

Does XMBC do scraping???
Yes, it scrapes. Default settings show that it scrapes movies from themoviedb.org and tv shows from thetvdb.com
Typically, the naming scheme for movies is:
Name.of.Movie.YEAR.QUALITY
For example:

and tv shows:
/Name of Show/Season x/Name of Show - SeasonxEpisode - Title
^meaning the file is inside the Season x folder, which is inside the Name of Show folder

For example:
/Modern Family/Season 1/Modern Family - 1x01 - Pilot

Hope that helps!

US Marine
Jan 21, 2011, 06:31 PM
No.

By installing XBMC you are simply adding an additional option to the Apple TV's standard menu.

So you have Movies, Tv Shows, Internet, XBMC, Computers and Settings.

By selecting XBMC you launch the application and then can view media that streamed from you mac that the Apple Tv would not natively be able to play like .mkv or .avi files.

The original Apple TV functionality is still intact and can be used as usual.

Awesome. So I finally have a good excuse to buy an AppleTV and build a NAS? My wife is gonna be pissed! LOL!

anim8or
Jan 21, 2011, 06:34 PM
Awesome. So I finally have a good excuse to buy an AppleTV and build a NAS? My wife is gonna be pissed! LOL!

Yup....

As soon as this process is a little easier then i will dive right in... I havent jailbroken a device since the 1st gen iPod Touch...LOL

jhkaplan
Jan 21, 2011, 07:37 PM
Has anyone been able to add a external hard drive connected to an airport extreme base station to this?

My apple tv is connected via ethernet cable to my AEBS, which has the HDD connected to it.

When I brose for a shared drive, I go to SMB>>Workgroup>>AEBSName...but when I try to add that I get this error:

"Error - Operation Not Permitted"

Anyone have any idea how to add a network attached HDD?

Thanks!

rusty2192
Jan 21, 2011, 08:22 PM
Has anyone been able to add a external hard drive connected to an airport extreme base station to this?

My apple tv is connected via ethernet cable to my AEBS, which has the HDD connected to it.

When I brose for a shared drive, I go to SMB>>Workgroup>>AEBSName...but when I try to add that I get this error:

"Error - Operation Not Permitted"

Anyone have any idea how to add a network attached HDD?

Thanks!

I am working on this. I found a thread on this same thing in the XBMC forums and used their directions. I have it partly working, but for some reason, it doesn't see anything that was already on the drive, just stuff that I have recently added. I think it may be because of changing the sharing settings on the AEBS. I'll try to find the thread again and link it here for everyone.

Here it is. Post #8 is where the good stuff is.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=91274

007bond
Jan 21, 2011, 08:25 PM
I hope plex gets ported onto the new apple tv. I'll probably buy one then:D

fkntotalkaos
Jan 21, 2011, 09:19 PM
He probably was, which is why he said what he said :)

This picture (taken from the plex website) says a fair amount:
http://elan.plexapp.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/untitled7.jpg

Plex is an basically an outdated version of xbmc with a dumbed down skin engine, simplified settings and a closed source media server - It has nowhere near the development pace, quality, community, features, etcetc
It's absolutely fine to prefer one over the other (plex's roots and closed course media server may cause a raised an eyebrow to most htpc/oss followers, but it obviously suits those heavily invested in the itunes-centric/mac drm world), but I wouldn't post silly assumptions as fact :)

GNU General Public License, lol
Always up for good facts.... But don't let them get in the way of your great story. Fact is XBMC originally dumped OS X support, Elan Fieldgold went on exodus. What did he call his new project? OSXBMC...... http://www.osxbmc.com/ . The TeamXBMC developers, well they started looking for new XBMC developers for the Mac OS X because they could not continue the original work, nor did they want to (Topic: XBMC recruiting developers for Mac OS X port http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=20916311640&topic=4152 ). I am sure if I really looked I could find the specific emails from the XBMC developers, and there lack of further support for OSX for said reasons. So there will always be discussion of "whos work" was Plex forked?

TeamXBMC Jonathan states, "XBMC for Mac is what you download from xbmc.org", "Plex is a fork from our codebase, which obviously you'll want to go elsewhere for."

Plex Developers "that was our work, we will call it OSXBMC"

As for "OSXBMC" well they changed the name to plex "Migrating from OSXBMC"
Changes from OSXBMC to Plex

As of 0.5RC1 many files have changed in Plex due to rebranding from OSXBMC. Some new locations to take note of are as follows:

* /Applications/Plex.app
* ~/Library/Application Support/Plex
* ~/Library/Logs/Plex.log
* /tmp/plex

From Elan Fieldgold
"A few days ago, there was a heated internal email discussion going on amongst the XBMC team members. The topic: whether or not to kick me and the other OS X people off the team. There was an actual vote taking place, with retractions, explanations, concessions. One of the OS X people got called a rather offensive name.

I watched this all with a calm sense of detachment. Why? Because I’m totally over it.

When I started porting XBMC to OS X, and then joined up with our little ragtag team of like-minded individuals, the goals were simple: To take what we considered to be the best media center in existence, and make it run on the Mac. The second goal was to make it stable. The third goal was to integrate it fully into the Mac ecosystem. And the fourth goal was to make it even better than it already was.

What became clear to me watching this vote is that these goals can no longer be met as members of Team XBMC. That’s why I voted in favor of kicking us all off the team. I simply do not have the stamina, patience, or desire, to deal with all the drama surrounding our union. I will not go into details here, for the sake of professionalism, and it must be said that I still have a great deal of respect for nearly all of the XBMC team.

Having covered that, where to from here?

We will continue to work on XBMC for the Mac. We are forking the code (it will be hosted on Github). We will still keep roughly in sync with the Linux code, and of course the XBMC team is welcome to merge our changes back into their tree.

The biggest change here is that we will no longer be operating under the restrictions imposed by the team. We can clean up and simplify the settings as we see fit. We can remove features that don’t work right (sometimes, less is more). We can add whatever new features our users are asking for, in the manner of our choosing.

We will be announcing new support forums shortly, and we will be posting details on the Github repository.

Also, we’re definitely looking for talented graphic designers with an eye for typography to work on a top-notch Mac-themed skin.

If you’d like to join us, we’d love to have you. And by “join”, I mean “work with us”. There will be no formal team, nor will there be any getting voted off the team. Think of projects like Mono, Wine, or Linux as models.

It’s an exciting time, and there is a lot more to discuss. Peace out."

From TeamXBMC member Jonathan

"WHY WHY WHY does you have to mention all the voting and stuff in public and then have the nerve to say “I will not go into details here, for the sake of professionalism” what a hypocrit
All it does it put team xbmc as the bad guys and makes it sound like you MAC people have done absolutly nothing wrong to cause this situation to happen at all.

Honestly I give up

I hope you have a good time with your new found do what ever you want with no consult with other people (oh thats what it always was) and remember to obide by the GPL

Cheers anyway for all the good times you will be missed"

jhkaplan
Jan 21, 2011, 09:57 PM
I am working on this. I found a thread on this same thing in the XBMC forums and used their directions. I have it partly working, but for some reason, it doesn't see anything that was already on the drive, just stuff that I have recently added. I think it may be because of changing the sharing settings on the AEBS. I'll try to find the thread again and link it here for everyone.

Awesome, thanks. I did get this working, although not any better than you. Only 3 of about 20 movies in the folder show up...not sure why. If you find a fix for this, let me know. Thanks!

misfit356tsw
Jan 21, 2011, 10:26 PM
Yay another program that I have to jailbreak my iproducts for. Not going to do it.

jhkaplan
Jan 21, 2011, 10:42 PM

I think I figured this out. When in the movies section (or whatever source you're looking at that only shows a few files), hold down the menu button on the remote. This should bring up a menu where you can choose update library. This will rescan the directory and it brought up all my movies.

Now, I cannot find again how to add a new source. It just seems to have dissapeared from all my menus. WTF??

aussiedj
Jan 22, 2011, 01:50 AM
OK so XBMC had a fight.

Clearly the OSX version of XBMC is A LONG WAY from being finished & actually working for the majority of users, unless you are a dev yourself.

So it would now seem that XBMC having just lost their OSX team, knowing they were going to fork, decided to dump this half finished mess on us, sit back & wait for the community to take over, fix their problems & turn around & capitalize on being the first one to do it at their former colleague's expense.

Am I seriously reading this right?

ecopod
Jan 22, 2011, 02:38 AM
All I know is that I'm an average Mac user, imac, iphone and atv1. I've never developed a program in my life and wouldn't know where to begin, I can however sit for hours following instructions posted by the more talented to install programs/jailbreak atv etc.

I tried xbmc on atv 1 and did not have a great experience but have not used for around 18 months. I switched to Plex (on imac) around ver 8 and recently updated to 9. All I know is it has been very easy to use, delivers what is says it will and has made a great job of organising my media (mostly movies and old sit coms). The iphone Plex app allows me to watch everything stored on my external drive and hooked up to imac from anywhere. I'm also holding out for a neew LG Plex equiped TV.

However like most other I'll give this a go anyway and get an atv 2 because that's what we do, and then I'll decide which works best for me, that won't make the others wrong however.

dgalvan123
Jan 22, 2011, 02:48 AM
All my videos are in iTunes so I don't care much about the extra format support.

My main interest is the possibility of using some of the XBMC plugins, such as the CBS.com and NBC.com plugins that grab the TV show episodes for streaming from those sites.

Has anyone tested whether these types of plugins work on ATV2?

IE: can I now watch streaming tv shows off NBC.com via apple tv with XBMC, just as I can off the web on my laptop?

aussiedj
Jan 22, 2011, 06:26 AM
I can't believe how much rubbish is on this app. This goes against everything mac. It's bringing back PC day memories.

SO

How do I delete this off the atv2?

VoR
Jan 22, 2011, 06:59 AM
OK so XBMC had a fight.

Clearly the OSX version of XBMC is A LONG WAY from being finished & actually working for the majority of users, unless you are a dev yourself.

So it would now seem that XBMC having just lost their OSX team, knowing they were going to fork, decided to dump this half finished mess on us, sit back & wait for the community to take over, fix their problems & turn around & capitalize on being the first one to do it at their former colleague's expense.

I can't believe how much rubbish is on this app. This goes against everything mac. It's bringing back PC day memories.

SO

How do I delete this off the atv2?

No, you're not reading it right :) Plex was forked like 3 years ago now.

xbmc is useable by all once set up, but as mentioned before - there's a bit of a learning curve to this. 10mins of reading and fiddling will have you going "ohhhh"..."wow!!" - If you want the most impressive solution to consuming media around your house, a little patience pays off.

The codebase was 95% the same, plex just concentrated on stripping down multi platform support and making some mac specific changes. They've got a closed source server app that moves much of the scraping/serving etc to the desktop. This most likely simplifies instant setup for people that want a simple solution without thinking/reading any documentation (and is good for those who are locked into the itunes world).

ffmpeg and developers like Davilla are to thank for all the mac support on all the devices, the work he has done is incredible. He's on the xbmc team, but what he's done translates to plex and probably every other application you enjoy to play media (that isn't itunes).

Goes against everything mac? The best of OSS, awesome community and quality software that is simply for managing and consuming media in the best way (and most open way) possible etcetc... I hope not!

aussiedj
Jan 22, 2011, 07:22 AM
Ok, I can see your point.

I will put my frustrations aside, and try to work out why it is not working. I think it worked for a moment, and then it was all messed up.

So, what is the best connection method & how on earth do you go through all the settings in Network where it has connect over upnp & SMB, ftp & xbmc via external progam etc to get the settings right. There are just so many, which is just plain frustrating.

So what is the best protocol to use, how do I get that working & what are the steps on the atv that has to be done. (And how annoying having to type everything into atv with the remote).

fkntotalkaos
Jan 22, 2011, 07:43 AM
OK so XBMC had a fight.

You are %100 correct. Most of that original TeamXBMC were ummm PC people and typical elitist jerks, who cared very little for OSX, Mac and Apple support. ...We have all seen it before "get a PC...." If I remember correctly, I think originally, XBMC was not even functional with the new Leopard operation system. Of course all the threads, of Mac people complaining were wiped off the face of the earth from their site. I know personally because I exchanged several emails with one of these jerks. "Most" of us followers were happy but apprehensive about the split, because XBMC was a great program in development. We had no clue on how motivated those OSX developers were and how fast they would develop Plex.

The good, Well the Plex developers progressed the OSX code and secondary to "GPL" XBMC for OSX continued to be supported.
The really good, XBMC was developed for Apple TV2 and is a great day for this devise. The really good, Plex will will continue to grow for Apple TV

VoR
Jan 22, 2011, 08:03 AM
You are %100 correct. Most of that original TeamXBMC were ummm PC people and typical elitist jerks, who cared very little for OSX, Mac and Apple support. ...We have all seen it before "get a PC...." If I remember correctly, I think originally, XBMC was not even functional with the new Leopard operation system. Of course all the threads, of Mac people complaining were wiped off the face of the earth from their site. I know personally because I exchanged several emails with one of these jerks. "Most" of us followers were happy but apprehensive about the split, because XBMC was a great program in development. We had no clue on how motivated those OSX developers were and how fast they would develop Plex.

No offence, but that's complete and utter rubbish...
It was ported to x86, and was platform agnostic. You realise mac is a 'pc' right? Developers and users run all OS'.
"get a PC" - Nice quote. It's fun to play the 'macs are better than pcs' game on the school playground right?

xbmc worked on the 'new leopard operation system', you're also wrong about that. It also worked on the 'old one' - plex didn't.

I don't really want to be dragged into a plex vs xbmc and mac vs pc argument - Us vs Them is a bit childish. It's fine to prefer one or the other. Slanderous untruths are pointless :)

The good, Well the Plex developers progressed the OSX code and secondary to "GPL" XBMC for OSX continued to be supported.
The really good, XBMC was developed for Apple TV2 and is a great day for this devise. The really good, Plex will will continue to grow for Apple TV

That's quite a funny quote... It's a good thing Plex rather dubiously follows the GPL?
It's also good that xbmc is running on the ios platform, and really good that plex can grow?
You mean xbmc, following the GPL and using code from other oss etc can happily share code to plex? Yeah, that's great and what oss is all about...
You want plex to continue to grow, but you want them to simply steal code with no credit and care for licensing? What on earth are you on about?

pruppert
Jan 22, 2011, 08:09 AM
Does anyone know how to install an XBMC repository from a zip file? I wanted to install Bluecop's video plugin repository for full episodes of conan.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=79148

Any help would be appreciated.

fkntotalkaos
Jan 22, 2011, 08:11 AM
No offence, but that's complete and utter rubbish...
It was ported to x86, and was platform agnostic. You realise mac is a 'pc' right? Developers and users run all OS'.
"get a PC" - Nice quote. It's fun to play the 'macs are better than pcs' game on the school playground right?

xbmc worked on the 'new leopard operation system', you're also wrong about that. It also worked on the 'old one' - plex didn't.

I don't really want to be dragged into a plex vs xbmc and mac vs pc argument - Us vs Them is a bit childish. It's fine to prefer one or the other. Slanderous untruths are pointless :)

That's quite a funny quote... It's a good thing Plex rather dubiously follows the GPL?
It's also good that xbmc is running on the ios platform, and really good that plex can grow?
You mean xbmc, following the GPL and using code from other oss etc can happily share code to plex? Yeah, that's great and what oss is all about...
You want plex to continue to grow, but you want them to simply steal code with no credit and care for licensing? What on earth are you on about?

I would actually respond, if your post was not significantly so biased and transparent.... Yes my dad is an engineer for Intel, I know what a "PC" is. Working and bug free are two different issues (Works on iPhone4, though it’s currently frustrating to use. taken from their website in their words). From what I remember, XBMC was so full of bugs on Leopard, I would not call that "working" as it was quite unstable .... Go figure the Elan and the OSX team decided to work on future support not past operating systems, 10.4 and 10.5...."Developers and users run all OS" Is that even a functional statement? TeamXBMC lost Elan and the OSX team (or voted them off the island), looked for more OSX developers .....

"XBMC
Help wanted from Mac OS X programmers! As you may or may not know, back in May last year a few developers from Team-XBMC began porting the XBMC media-player application to Linux (and OpenGL using the SDL toolkit), with the goal of it someday becoming a full port of XBMC containing all the features and functions available in the Xbox version of XBMC, (this Linux-port of XBMC is still in pre-alpha development stage. However, by now it is usable for white box testing by most experienced Linux users).

Now, a little over a month ago a new programmer named Elan joined Team-XBMC and began porting XBMC to the Mac OS X operating-system (from the Linux port of XBMC), currently only targeting Leopard on Intel x86 hardware, and his progress with this "XBMC for Mac OS X" port is going very well. However, this is a huge task which is why we are making this public request. We are seeking C/C++ programmers who are willing to assist with this XBMC for Mac OS X porting project. Whether you have contributed to The XBMC Project in the past or not, please consider doing so now. Those of you who are completely unfamiliar with XBMC can get a good overview of what XBMC offers its end-users by reading through the XBMC article on wikipedia.org"

"Posted Yesterday, 11:40 AM
davilla and friends have done a truly remarkable thing with this. I can't imagine the amount of work that went into it.

Everybody wins on having this on the ATV2 as well. And I'm sure some ppl will prefer it to plex4atv, just like other ppl will prefer to use plex instead.

I'm impressed, I truly am.

Great news for all owners of appletv, for sure.

//b0bben "

signed Plex ATV2 Developer

p.s. I am almost certain the word agnostic is used incorrectly http://mw1.meriam-webster.com/dictionary/agnostic.

aussiedj
Jan 22, 2011, 08:15 AM
You realise mac is a 'pc' right?
I'm keeping that as a souvenir! :p

Jan 22, 2011, 09:48 AM
Yay another program that I have to jailbreak my iproducts for. Not going to do it.

back when I had my 3G phone, I jailbroke it and tried many things from cydia (not too many exciting things back than anyway) ... Intelli Homescreen and folders were nice, but battery time tanked and stability was not great. I restored to official version, no crap installed and everything was fine again. Not going to jailbreak any device again - not worth it. (I know, many people think different and many new cool things popped up, but I prefere a stable phone with no added issues through jailbreaking)

aussiedj
Jan 22, 2011, 11:21 AM
So I got it working running smb. Both MBP & ATV the only things running on the 5ghz airport extreme n. Nothing downloading & file is a 4gb mkv.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HknqiTasOh8

Tried it again with a 700mg m4v.... Same result (surprisingly).

Now I'm not going to bag out a product without a dev asking a questions or 2, as there could be a reasonable explanation for it...

RoarinRow
Jan 22, 2011, 11:46 AM
After 2 nights of trying to jailbreak my ATV2 I finally did it lol. I installed XBMC and see there are plenty of cool features. Just wish I could play .avi files.

I posted a thread on the XBMC forum. If there is a fix, then I'll share the link here.

gdeusthewhizkid
Jan 22, 2011, 11:49 AM
I jailbroke my apple tv 2 for this.. Boring **scott pilgrim voice ** I dont see the benefits of doing this jailbreak. xbmc sucks from what i see.. Is there anyway to connect a drive to apple tv2 and play regular movie files off it....

fkntotalkaos
Jan 22, 2011, 11:59 AM
I jailbroke my apple tv 2 for this.. Boring **scott pilgrim voice ** I dont see the benefits of doing this jailbreak. xbmc sucks from what i see.. Is there anyway to connect a drive to apple tv2 and play regular movie files off it....

I'm thinking between plex and XBMC, good things may be coming for Apple TV

spencers
Jan 22, 2011, 01:10 PM
So, what is the best connection method & how on earth do you go through all the settings in Network where it has connect over upnp & SMB, ftp & xbmc via external progam etc to get the settings right. There are just so many, which is just plain frustrating.

So what is the best protocol to use, how do I get that working & what are the steps on the atv that has to be done. (And how annoying having to type everything into atv with the remote).

Your best bet is to set up a shared folder on your Mac. You do that within the sharing panel on system preferences. Put a checkbox next to File Sharing, add the folder.
Then, just set up a SMB share on the xbmc that points to that folder. Make sure to set the contents to either movies or tv or music. Folders cannot contain a mixture. Simple!

Does anyone know how to install an XBMC repository from a zip file? I wanted to install Bluecop's video plugin repository for full episodes of conan.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=79148
Any help would be appreciated.
SSH into the ATV and drop the zip file somewhere accessible. Then just point XBMC to that zip file when you select install from zip.

Is there anyway to connect a drive to apple tv2 and play regular movie files off it....

No. Did you read the thread? Apple has limited the hardware to which you will never be able to plug in an external drive.

aussiedj
Jan 22, 2011, 01:47 PM
Your best bet is to set up a shared folder on your Mac. You do that within the sharing panel on system preferences. Put a checkbox next to File Sharing, add the folder.
Then, just set up a SMB share on the xbmc that points to that folder. Make sure to set the contents to either movies or tv or music. Folders cannot contain a mixture. Simple!
You don't say... How about the fact that you need to set up a name for your computer in the sharing menu in system preferences, and not use the ip? How about when you go to connect on the ATV you need to put in smb://name/folder/ - name being the name of the computer, and the folder, being the last folder on your external drive or internal drive without putting in the full path file. Is it really that hard just to explain it to people?

Futhermore, getting through the layout of the thing with the remote i an absolute joke. Sorry but it is. Just a joke.

All everyone wants is to be able to play different format files on their ATV's. Not have the thing downloading pictures of the actors, and summary's & actors names & ratings & producers & directors etc etc etc etc.

So I might be sounding a bit angry right now, but I have just spent the last 48 hours trying to get this done with absolutely no direction from the dev's other than to say try signing up to the forums and just searching.... I was on the irc help channel for 14 hours trying to get a response. Seriously it's as if you don't want anyone to be able to use the program. Like it's some big secret how to get it working. I can clearly see why that is now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HknqiTasOh8

owen-b
Jan 22, 2011, 01:52 PM
Could somebody give me a totally blow by blow account of how to get videos to show up on XBMC when they are stored on an external drive connected to a Mac that's on the same network as the ATV2? I've got Rivet installed as it happens, for streaming to my Xbox, and so my media does show up via UPnP pretty painlessly - worth a try for folks having difficulty but Rivet isn't free - but I thought perhaps this method could be causing some problems and wanted to try a different way - I set my folders up for File Sharing as suggested but an SMB scan doesn't reveal anything in XBMC.

Anyway my two main problems are:

1) nothing is scraping. I set the folders up using the UPnP method described above and set them to TV or Movies with the right scrapers, autoscraping on, and so the folders show up in the Videos section but only as lists of files.

All my TV shows are generally: the.walking.dead.S01E03.XviD.avi for example. Movies are generally just the name of the movie, nothing else. The standard naming format, really. Plex can understand every single movie and TV show I have in my library, so any ideas why the XBMC scrapers aren't getting anything from them?

2) some skins have an extra couple of folders on the home screen - TV Shows and Movies. Despite being able to access my own TV and Movie folders via the Videos section (albeit without scraper info), these two extra folders never get populated with anything.

Any ideas? Many thanks :)

spencers
Jan 22, 2011, 02:29 PM
You don't say... How about the fact that you need to set up a name for your computer in the sharing menu in system preferences, and not use the ip? How about when you go to connect on the ATV you need to put in smb://name/folder/ - name being the name of the computer, and the folder, being the last folder on your external drive or internal drive without putting in the full path file. Is it really that hard just to explain it to people?

Futhermore, getting through the layout of the thing with the remote i an absolute joke. Sorry but it is. Just a joke.

All everyone wants is to be able to play different format files on their ATV's. Not have the thing downloading pictures of the actors, and summary's & actors names & ratings & producers & directors etc etc etc etc.

So I might be sounding a bit angry right now, but I have just spent the last 48 hours trying to get this done with absolutely no direction from the dev's other than to say try signing up to the forums and just searching.... I was on the irc help channel for 14 hours trying to get a response. Seriously it's as if you don't want anyone to be able to use the program. Like it's some big secret how to get it working. I can clearly see why that is now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HknqiTasOh8

You do sound frustrated! Again, I can side with you because when I started out, I was running into similar issues. Seriously, search around on the XBMC forums when you have problems.
I'll give you some help. Here's how I have my music shared from my mac. I created a user called xbmc, with the password xbmc.
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/2295/screenshot20110122at233.jpg (http://img441.imageshack.us/i/screenshot20110122at233.jpg/)

And here's how the smb connection looks on my xbmc.
http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/8465/asdfzh.jpg (http://img31.imageshack.us/i/asdfzh.jpg/)

I'm willing to help if you have any other questions. :)

Anyway my two main problems are:

1) nothing is scraping. I set the folders up using the UPnP method described above and set them to TV or Movies with the right scrapers, autoscraping on, and so the folders show up in the Videos section but only as lists of files.

All my TV shows are generally: the.walking.dead.S01E03.XviD.avi for example. Movies are generally just the name of the movie, nothing else. The standard naming format, really. Plex can understand every single movie and TV show I have in my library, so any ideas why the XBMC scrapers aren't getting anything from them?

2) some skins have an extra couple of folders on the home screen - TV Shows and Movies. Despite being able to access my own TV and Movie folders via the Videos section (albeit without scraper info), these two extra folders never get populated with anything.

Any ideas? Many thanks :)
See my post here for details on #1. Having set up a proper naming scheme is paramount for scraping.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=11768495&postcount=123

With #2, those "folders" will become populated when you properly have your media scraped.

owen-b
Jan 22, 2011, 02:41 PM
Okay, so one solution solves both problems. This is a good thing. :)

However, reading that post, is that the absolutely only way that XBMC will recognise files for scraping? Most of the time I've no idea of the title of a particular episode of a show. And what if I don't happen to know what to put for the year, res and/or quality of a movie file? That's quite a lot of effort, especially for my TV collection, when Plex will understand absolutely all of it as it stands.

Are there tools that can do this for you?

EDIT: I've just installed XBMC for OSX onto my host iMac and run it. Because the drives are physically connected to the iMac I can access the movies and TV folders directly. I add them to Videos in XBMC and all the graphics and info starts scraping and showing up.

So, I think the naming is fine. There's something else particular to the way my AppleTV install is set up that's causing this problem I think.

spencers
Jan 22, 2011, 02:43 PM
Okay, so one solution solves both problems. This is a good thing. :)

However, reading that post, is that the absolutely only way that XBMC will recognise files for scraping? Most of the time I've no idea of the title of a particular episode of a show. And what if I don't happen to know what to put for the year, res and/or quality of a movie file? That's quite a lot of effort, especially for my TV collection, when Plex will understand absolutely all of it as it stands.

Are there tools that can do this for you?

Yes. I used a java applet called FileBot in the past that worked wonderfully! For TV Shows at least.
http://filebot.sourceforge.net/
Give it a shot.

For movies, look on IMDB for the year. Resolution and quality isn't necessarily required, but good to have, if you'd like to distinguish between blu-ray and dvd within the xbmc interface. Again, it's not required, but nice to have with a mixed-resolution library.

owen-b
Jan 22, 2011, 02:57 PM
I've just installed XBMC for OSX onto my host iMac and run it. Because the drives are physically connected to the iMac I can access the movies and TV folders directly. I add them to Videos in XBMC and all the graphics and info starts scraping and showing up.

So, I think the naming is fine. There's something else particular to the way my AppleTV install is set up that's causing this problem I think.

RoarinRow
Jan 22, 2011, 03:04 PM
After 2 nights of trying to jailbreak my ATV2 I finally did it lol. I installed XBMC and see there are plenty of cool features. Just wish I could play .avi files.

I posted a thread on the XBMC forum. If there is a fix, then I'll share the link here.

Another posted stated that .avi files can't be played through the ATV2 interface. Oh well, I'll just keep searching.

spencers
Jan 22, 2011, 03:05 PM
I've just installed XBMC for OSX onto my host iMac and run it. Because the drives are physically connected to the iMac I can access the movies and TV folders directly. I add them to Videos in XBMC and all the graphics and info starts scraping and showing up.

Hmm. How do you have your SMB settings set up on your mac? Perhaps permissions are preventing XBMC on the ATV2 from scraping.
See the first part of my post to verify (screenshots). That's how I've set up mine, at least.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=11772311&postcount=152

Check this video for a proper setup procedure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTBspxh7CgI

owen-b
Jan 22, 2011, 03:38 PM
Another posted stated that .avi files can't be played through the ATV2 interface. Oh well, I'll just keep searching.

.avi files play just fine as far as I can tell on my own installation.

iKennett
Jan 22, 2011, 03:49 PM

+1 all OK here also

ThisIsNotMe
Jan 22, 2011, 03:50 PM
Best jailbreak ever.
The only thing keeping Windows 7 Media Center/MediaBrowser HTPC out of the closet is Video_TS playback and 2.0 audio.

owen-b
Jan 22, 2011, 04:17 PM
Bingo! I set up the new account and the Windows sharing, entered the path exactly as you did and POW it started working. So I guess the UPnP method was getting in the way somehow.

Thanks a lot, Spencers!

Now then, how do I go about installing skins that aren't in the officially supported list? I liked the look of 'refocus'. I read something about SSHing into the ATV (which I understand) and 'dropping' the file somewhere (which I didn't understand). Can you help with that by any chance? :)

iKennett
Jan 22, 2011, 04:23 PM
anyone have a fix for the wrong time issue?

HarryPot
Jan 22, 2011, 05:04 PM
Can you stream from a hard drive connected to an Airport Extreme?

Most of the time I leave my Mac at the office, so this would be a big one for me.

Thanks.:)

spencers
Jan 22, 2011, 05:26 PM
Bingo! I set up the new account and the Windows sharing, entered the path exactly as you did and POW it started working. So I guess the UPnP method was getting in the way somehow.

Thanks a lot, Spencers!

Now then, how do I go about installing skins that aren't in the officially supported list? I liked the look of 'refocus'. I read something about SSHing into the ATV (which I understand) and 'dropping' the file somewhere (which I didn't understand). Can you help with that by any chance? :)
Great!
See this thread
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=91639

Can you stream from a hard drive connected to an Airport Extreme?
Most of the time I leave my Mac at the office, so this would be a big one for me.

See post below
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=11768943&postcount=127

anim8or
Jan 22, 2011, 05:41 PM
anyone have a fix for the wrong time issue?

Have a good explore in the system settings i found an option to change region format from USA to UK.... Once I relaunched xbmc the time had changed to reflect current uk time.

slffl
Jan 23, 2011, 01:12 AM
Wow why am I not surprised at how complicated this all is?

Here's a tip. The BEST media center experience available right now is a MacMini running Boxee. Simple and everything 'just works'.

If you can't afford a MacMini, hopefully Boxee will make its way to the ATV soon.

RoarinRow
Jan 23, 2011, 05:28 AM

I got it to work. User error :D

kramerica2
Jan 23, 2011, 06:17 AM
Can someone that installed XMBC give a short review?
I'm basically pondering between ATV and Boxee Box. The ATV has the price and air-play advantage and Boxee Box pretty much everything else.
The XMBC install can make or break the deal.
The most important thing is - can you really play everything without conversion?
Do 1080p mkv files run smoothly? I don't care that the output is limited to 720p, my TV is also limited to that resolution, but I have many movies, some of them are 1080p and I want to be able to play them without conversions.

Thanks a lot.

dhy8386
Jan 23, 2011, 07:17 AM
Can someone that installed XMBC give a short review?
I'm basically pondering between ATV and Boxee Box. The ATV has the price and air-play advantage and Boxee Box pretty much everything else.
The most important thing is - can you really play everything without conversion?
Do 1080p mkv files run smoothly? I don't care that the output is limited to 720p, my TV is also limited to that resolution, but I have many movies, some of them are 1080p and I want to be able to play them without conversions.

Thanks a lot.

Ill just tell you that 1080p through XBMC will not play smoothly. There are repeated drop frames and some judder. Its not terrible and totally watchable. They play better than 1080p m4vs that I made through Handbrake but its not the same as running boxee of plex on my hackintosh which is butter. That is a fact as it stands right now.

FYI, I am wired to my ATV2

aussiedj
Jan 23, 2011, 07:36 AM
Can someone that installed XMBC give a short review? Absolutely piece of rubbish without question. Near non-existent support from dev's including the poster of this thread. It is absolutely clear they have no idea about setting it up, or they are just arrogant & actually want bad reviews like this so that they fail. I'm guessing more so the second one. The software has been released publicly when it is no where NEAR ready for the public. Now they have every mac forum FILLED with people having problems & less than 10% actually getting it working. So XBMC has absolutely annihilated itself & it's reputation GONE COMPLETELY out the window. 48 hours almost straight trying to get this thing to work, finally got it working & it was the most disappointing piece of software I have ever encountered on OSX in my entire life. Get this, the menu on OSX takes 30% of CPU when it is not connected to the ATV, and it is just sitting idle! Now if that doesn't prove it is the worst coding you have ever seen then I don't know what will. Apart from the fact that you cannot use any mac network protocols to connect to it. You have to set up ancient windows protocols on your mac and ATV.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HknqiTasOh8 - 1080p right there that I tried last night.
Even tried 480p - STILL rubbish.

*ducks*

ashy7
Jan 23, 2011, 08:26 AM
Absolutely piece of rubbish without question. Near non-existent support from dev's including the poster of this thread. It is absolutely clear they have no idea about setting it up, or they are just arrogant & actually want bad reviews like this so that they fail. I'm guessing more so the second one. The software has been released publicly when it is no where NEAR ready for the public. Now they have every mac forum FILLED with people having problems & less than 10% actually getting it working. So XBMC has absolutely annihilated itself & it's reputation GONE COMPLETELY out the window. 48 hours almost straight trying to get this thing to work, finally got it working & it was the most disappointing piece of software I have ever encountered on OSX in my entire life. Get this, the menu on OSX takes 30% of CPU when it is not connected to the ATV, and it is just sitting idle! Now if that doesn't prove it is the worst coding you have ever seen then I don't know what will. Apart from the fact that you cannot use any mac network protocols to connect to it. You have to set up ancient windows protocols on your mac and ATV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HknqiTasOh8 - 1080p right there that I tried last night.
Even tried 480p - STILL rubbish.

*ducks*

I think you being far to critical. If this was software that you had paid for, then you could expect a better service. As it stands, this is something that a group of people have spent time on for nothing, and have let people have it for nothing.

The OP has been as helpful as he can, and the post he gave you about setting up the SMB share has certainly helped me get everything up and running.

spencers
Jan 23, 2011, 12:34 PM
Absolutely piece of rubbish without question. Near non-existent support from dev's including the poster of this thread. It is absolutely clear they have no idea about setting it up, or they are just arrogant & actually want bad reviews like this so that they fail. I'm guessing more so the second one. The software has been released publicly when it is no where NEAR ready for the public. Now they have every mac forum FILLED with people having problems & less than 10% actually getting it working. So XBMC has absolutely annihilated itself & it's reputation GONE COMPLETELY out the window. 48 hours almost straight trying to get this thing to work, finally got it working & it was the most disappointing piece of software I have ever encountered on OSX in my entire life. Get this, the menu on OSX takes 30% of CPU when it is not connected to the ATV, and it is just sitting idle! Now if that doesn't prove it is the worst coding you have ever seen then I don't know what will. Apart from the fact that you cannot use any mac network protocols to connect to it. You have to set up ancient windows protocols on your mac and ATV.

Bugger off, get a life, and find something else that works for you.
I never said install/setup was easy. Perhaps you should stick with your normal ATV2 if you cannot figure xbmc out. This is exactly why I'm happy XBMC is open source, and not paid-for software: so I (nor xbmc devs) are required to help fools like you.
I'm not a dev. I'm just a user that is happy with his setup; happy enough to provide the kind souls on this forum with what little help I can provide. I've given my knowledge to you, and some others whom have achieved a successful setup.

Good luck to you sir.

iKennett
Jan 23, 2011, 01:31 PM
Have a good explore in the system settings i found an option to change region format from USA to UK.... Once I relaunched xbmc the time had changed to reflect current uk time.

No luck... I've changed the 'regional' for UK however the time remains for UK or UK (24) and infact... no matter what i change it too the time stays the same!

VoR
Jan 23, 2011, 04:05 PM
Absolutely piece of rubbish without question. Near non-existent support from dev's including the poster of this thread.

I love the software, I know many that do too and I see 1000s in posts/reviews/etc.
Developers are writing OSS for everyone, themselves and for free, they have no responsibility to give you support - especially if you refuse to read basic instructions/search for answers and give up, getting angry and talking nonsense :)

It is absolutely clear they have no idea about setting it up, or they are just arrogant & actually want bad reviews like this so that they fail. I'm guessing more so the second one.

The developers have no idea how to set up the software? The original poster who has a working setup, and many posts in this thread helping people (with thanks received) has no idea either?

The software has been released publicly when it is no where NEAR ready for the public. Now they have every mac forum FILLED with people having problems & less than 10% actually getting it working. So XBMC has absolutely annihilated itself & it's reputation GONE COMPLETELY out the window.

It's OSS software, if it doesn't work for you on a standardized platform, maybe you're doing something wrong, or maybe it'll be fixed - Either way, it's still (imo) far better than any other software solution, expensive, proprietary or otherwise. xbmc has been in development for like 9 years or something. My experience of xbmc on the arm/ios platform has been good, and all it's doing from my pov is getting even more people interested in controlling their own media and potentially selling more apple hardware (I'm still recommending ION boxes to friends though).

48 hours almost straight trying to get this thing to work, finally got it working & it was the most disappointing piece of software I have ever encountered on OSX in my entire life. Get this, the menu on OSX takes 30% of CPU when it is not connected to the ATV, and it is just sitting idle! Now if that doesn't prove it is the worst coding you have ever seen then I don't know what will.

I can download an xbmc distro and have it installed, running perfectly and be scanning my library onto a device in less than 60 seconds, literally. I've been using it for a fair while though, actually did a little reading and had the patience not to give up on it straight away.
CPU use on the home screen is a long time legacy issue that will be sorted eventually - why does it bother you? If it was 'the worst coding you have ever seen' there wouldn't have been so much too and fro code sharing between xbmc and pretty much every media related oss project.

You realise that it's not the end of the world if you hate the product? It's slightly irritating to read, but at the end of the day - honestly, it's your loss.

Apart from the fact that you cannot use any mac network protocols to connect to it. You have to set up ancient windows protocols on your mac and ATV.

samba is an ancient protocol is it? You dislike windows/microsoft/whatever, so assume/dismiss SMB as a 'rubbish' protocol and tar samba with the same brush? :)

I'm a happy user, I'm sure there are many more, and I'm sure they'll be even more happy consumers of all sorts of software on arm/ios/etc devices once their hard work filters down to other products :)

fkntotalkaos
Jan 23, 2011, 04:26 PM
I love the software, I know many that do too and I see 1000s in posts/reviews/etc.
Developers are writing OSS for everyone, themselves and for free, they have no responsibility to give you support - especially if you refuse to read basic instructions/search for answers and give up, getting angry and talking nonsense

There's that XBMC ellistist Jerk attitude that I have grown to love :rolleyes:

I typically find Mac users in general to be much more helpful, but that is the exact response that drove the Mac people away from XBMC in 2008 towards plex. You will never see a response like that in a Plex forum, and I guessed you would never see it on a Mac forum (I was wrong)

NightStorm
Jan 23, 2011, 07:06 PM

I typically find Mac users in general to be much more helpful, but that is the exact response that drove the Mac people away from XBMC in 2008 towards plex. You will never see a response like that in a Plex forum, and I guessed you would never see it on a Mac forum (I was wrong)

You must not visit the Handbrake forums then. I know I won't help someone who isn't willing to take a few seconds and help themselves. It gets pretty annoying to answer the same question over and over again because people can't be bothered to try to learn something.

fkntotalkaos
Jan 23, 2011, 07:46 PM
You must not visit the Handbrake forums then. I know I won't help someone who isn't willing to take a few seconds and help themselves. It gets pretty annoying to answer the same question over and over again because people can't be bothered to try to learn something.

I'm sure you would fit right in

NightStorm
Jan 23, 2011, 08:19 PM
I'm sure you would fit right in
Ouch, that hurts. :rolleyes:

Anyways, to bring this back around to the topic at hand, I'm planning on picking up another ATV2 this week and giving XBMC a shot... the installation and configuration doesn't seem all that difficult for someone who isn't afraid of the command line.

BlackMangoTree
Jan 23, 2011, 09:16 PM

Plex is rubbish at scrapping/scanning foreign films. I have over 200 Italian movies and it does a lousy job, even English spoken movies aren't anywhere as good as using the IMDB addon in XBMC.

GimmeSlack12
Jan 23, 2011, 10:21 PM
Plex is rubbish at scrapping/scanning foreign films. I have over 200 Italian movies and it does a lousy job, even English spoken movies aren't anywhere as good as using the IMDB addon in XBMC.

Plex uses an IMDB scraper. I'm not sure about the foreign film thing but for any movie or TV show I've put into Plex 0.9.x it's scraped with no problem.

Perhaps for the foreign films there's an international IMDB?

aussiedj
Jan 23, 2011, 10:54 PM
Seriously.... Who cares about getting the actors & their photographs & names of the directors etc etc. When I tried to play a simple 700mb avi on XBMC it told me that it couldn't find the film, told me to enter the name of it. So I did & it couldn't find it. And if it can't find it, it won't let you watch it!!!

SERIOUSLY... I don't care about this rubbish. All I want to do is browse through my files, like I do on my mac & click play. I know what the movie is, and I know who's in it because I DOWNLOADED IT.

Let's take a vote:

a) simple program that just works seamlessly & perfectly.

b) complex program that mostly doesn't work, is extremely complicated to get going & is riddled with problems.

VOTE NOW.

thadoggfather
Jan 23, 2011, 11:25 PM
I want to buy Apple tv 2 now. This sounds perfect for Netflix and all my shows without doing mini display out anymore.

Questions:

1)if i buy an apple tv, can i JB it now with the latest fw it ships with?

2) Also, can i do it with a mac?

I'm used to the JB scene on iPhone. Had every iPhone. jailbroken all. unlocked. i got it figured out.

Thanks guys

seanchristopher
Jan 24, 2011, 12:21 AM
You can jailbreak the latest fw with Seas0nPass, but it's a tethered jailbreak. It looks like an un-tethered version is coming soon though. And yes, you can do it on a mac.

BlackMangoTree
Jan 24, 2011, 01:27 AM
Plex uses an IMDB scraper. I'm not sure about the foreign film thing but for any movie or TV show I've put into Plex 0.9.x it's scraped with no problem.

Perhaps for the foreign films there's an international IMDB?

The Free database it uses its useless and the unofficial IMDB agent is poor as misses so much info. Always pulls the English title as if i want o go through and change every single movie. It simply doesn't work as well as XBMC for scraping/scanning movies.

BlackMangoTree
Jan 24, 2011, 02:51 AM
OK so XBMC had a fight.

XBMC a long way off from being finished ? It works percetly on OSX

mstruve
Jan 24, 2011, 06:36 AM
Seriously.... Who cares about getting the actors & their photographs & names of the directors etc etc. When I tried to play a simple 700mb avi on XBMC it told me that it couldn't find the film, told me to enter the name of it. So I did & it couldn't find it. And if it can't find it, it won't let you watch it!!!

SERIOUSLY... I don't care about this rubbish. All I want to do is browse through my files, like I do on my mac & click play. I know what the movie is, and I know who's in it because I DOWNLOADED IT.

Let's take a vote:

b) complex program that mostly doesn't work, is extremely complicated to get going & is riddled with problems.

VOTE NOW.

I admit it took me a full day to get this working yesterday, but now that it is, I love it. It is working seamlessly for me, and I like having all the covert art, info etc. That's kind of one of the main points of XBMC.

If all you want is lists of files then I don't think this is the software for you, it's overly complicated for what you're after.

denm316
Jan 24, 2011, 07:21 AM
I picked up a new Apple TV2 on Saturday. Overall not that hard of a process to get XBMC installed.

I used SeasonPass from FireCore to do the Jailbreak (which is tethered). After that I connected via SSH and ran I think three commands and everything was downloaded and done. Pointed XBMC to my NAS and it picked everything up immediately without issue.

The only problem I had was it would not output DTS-HD and AC3. I quick search and I just had to edit an XML file in the XBMC directory. I am not the greatest with terminal commands so I was able to just just Cyberduck and copy the XML file off, change two settings from False to True and copy it back on. Worked perfectly.

The navigation in XBMC is a little slow, totally bearable. This is the only reason I bought AppleTV as XBMC has a beautiful interface and plays everything. I usually watch 720 MKV BluRay rips. So its great to not have to convert anything, both for Audio and Video.

spencers
Jan 24, 2011, 09:51 AM
No luck... I've changed the 'regional' for UK however the time remains for UK or UK (24) and infact... no matter what i change it too the time stays the same!
Try this

cd /private/var/db/timezone
rm localtime
ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/GMT localtime
killall AppleTV
Thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=91521

DaveNinja
Jan 24, 2011, 10:14 AM
I installed XBMC on my ATV2 and its working great. the one problem i'm having is that i cant figure out how to get a contextual menu up with the ATV2 remote. I added video source twice and want to delete one of them but cant figure out how.

iKennett
Jan 24, 2011, 10:43 AM
Try this

cd /private/var/db/timezone
rm localtime
ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/GMT localtime
killall AppleTV
Thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=91521

I spent ages looking for this and found that thread earlier today. Thanks :) It works!!

I'm *really* liking this!

Tkotm
Jan 24, 2011, 10:59 AM
I installed XBMC on my ATV2 and its working great. the one problem i'm having is that i cant figure out how to get a contextual menu up with the ATV2 remote. I added video source twice and want to delete one of them but cant figure out how.

Menu for 2/3 second and the contextual menu will appear.

MecPro
Jan 24, 2011, 11:02 AM
Shame!

I bought a Popcorn hour a couple of weeks ago, this would have been perfect! But people say the 1080p streaming of MKVs aren't that good, so I have to kiss this goodbye until the chip is powerful enough (next 3 years again!)

spencers
Jan 24, 2011, 11:03 AM

Here's what I'd recommend:
Get an XBMC remote app from iTunes for your iPhone/iPod Touch.
I prefer this one (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/xbmc-remote/id289316916?mt=8). If you have android, app-based remotes exist, as well.

Or what he said:
Menu for 2/3 second and the contextual menu will appear.
:p

DaveNinja
Jan 24, 2011, 02:12 PM
thanks! i was trying to hold buttons down but couldnt figure out which one.

with the simple ATV2 remote is there a way to fast scroll up/down besides going to the right to the scroll bar? like how the ATV2 in menus will speed up if you hold up or down for a while?

Norrsund
Jan 24, 2011, 02:58 PM
Here's what I'd recommend:
Get an XBMC remote app from iTunes for your iPhone/iPod Touch.
I prefer this one (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/xbmc-remote/id289316916?mt=8). If you have android, app-based remotes exist, as well.

Or what he said:

:p

I downloaded this XBMC remote app earlier today and I can't get it working. Have you used it with the Apple TV 2?

VoR
Jan 24, 2011, 03:05 PM
I downloaded this XBMC remote app earlier today and I can't get it working. Have you used it with the Apple TV 2?

I don't have an ATV, but have you checked the network settings and made sure 'Web Server' is enabled?

spencers
Jan 24, 2011, 03:25 PM
1 Goto XBMC Network Settings
2 Enable http webserver and set it to use port 8080
3 Choose login/password. People typically use xbmc/xbmc

Then set up your remote app. Sometimes it won't automatically show up in discovered devices, and you'd just have to do it manually. Be sure to know the ip address of the ATV2

Norrsund
Jan 24, 2011, 03:28 PM
1 Goto XBMC Network Settings
2 Enable http webserver and set it to use port 8080
3 Choose login/password. People typically use xbmc/xbmc

Then set up your remote app. Sometimes it won't automatically show up in discovered devices, and you'd just have to do it manually. Be sure to know the ip address of the ATV2

Thanks for the tip, but it looks like the webserver is disabled in the current Apple TV 2 build.

From XBMC for iOS current issues at a glance (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=91581)

webserver disabled (so xbmc remote apps for smartphones / ipod touch, or anything else dependant on the web server will not currently work)

Also, support for third party remotes (ie Logitech Harmony) is not working

no support for third party remotes. Will be coming in future releases

MagnusVonMagnum
Jan 24, 2011, 04:32 PM
Working and bug free are two different issues (Works on iPhone4, though it’s currently frustrating to use. taken from their website in their words). From what I remember, XBMC was so full of bugs on Leopard, I would not call that "working" as it was quite unstable .... Go figure the Elan and the OSX team decided to work on future support not past operating systems, 10.4 and 10.5....

Go figure? Plex decided they didn't want to bother to support existing users and so they decided to play the "go buy a new machine" game. That's their business, of course, but it means that it will not run on 5 out of my 7 machines here (2 Apple TV Gen1, 1 PowerPC G4 Mac acting as a media server, 1 2008 era Macbook Pro, 1 Hackintosh Netbook and a PC running XP plus an ATV2 still in the box unopened). For example, Plex doesn't work on Tiger and therefore Plex doesn't work on the first generation Apple TV and never will. Plex doesn't work on PowerPC and never will. Plex "sort of" works on Apple TV2 if you call "working" requiring a very fast host computer to transcode video for a device that is fully capable of doing itself. If I have to buy a fast computer to transcode (i.e. I cannot use that computer for other tasks while it's wasting CPU time to transcode), I might as well just buy a MacMini or home theater PC and be done with it. It's almost pointless in that sense.

XBMC works with PowerPC in both Tiger and Leopard. XBMC works with Apple TV 1 & 2 natively (no transcoding). XBMC also works on other platforms (x86, etc.). In short, XBMC works on 7 out of 7 machines here.

My only complaints about XBMC have been the lack of chapter support for M4V (added in 10.0) and the inability to read M4V meta tags (supposedly coming in a future release since it seems that their tag reader for MP4 music files can read the tags on M4V as well).

Boxee would be more useful on Apple TV 2 since a lot of the content does not play well on Apple TV 1.

Having to use a Mac to reboot an Apple TV 2 is not very appealing, though. I was planning on replacing one of my Apple TV generation 1 units with a 2 (and moving the old one to a bedroom or something) since the Netflix app is nice and now that XBMC is here, it seems idea. But I think I'll wait until the frame drop/bugs/kinks are worked out. Not having to convert non-M4V to M4V is the most appealing aspect of XBMC. It's a shame Apple refuses to support other standards like AVI and MKV in iTunes. If they did, it would all be unnecessary, IMO.

GimmeSlack12
Jan 24, 2011, 04:53 PM

VOTE NOW.

I think XMBC just isn't your thing dude. If you want to just open a file and watch on your Mac then I'm not really sure why you even want an Apple TV. For those of us who have dealt with Front Row weak features and Apple TV's lack of formats and are really ready to take the necessary steps to get what we want, then you install XMBC/Plex.

Although I would suggest skipping the AppleTV and getting a small HTPC or LinuxHTPC.

gmm421
Jan 24, 2011, 06:03 PM

Let's take a vote:

VOTE NOW.

Just use AirFlick

hinchesk
Jan 25, 2011, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the tip, but it looks like the webserver is disabled in the current Apple TV 2 build.

From XBMC for iOS current issues at a glance (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=91581)

Also, support for third party remotes (ie Logitech Harmony) is not working

Looks davilla has enabled the webserver (and fixed ISO playback) within the last week. Presumably they'll both show up in the next release (unless you want to try and do your own builds. https://github.com/xbmc/atv2/commits/atv2

He's pretty active in the ATV2 forums so he seems well aware of what issues most people are running into. Other than the webserver I don't need much else. A copy of vi/vim would be nice but Cyberduck, MacVim and Command+K meets the need until I feel like installing something on the ATV2.

hinchesk
Jan 25, 2011, 10:00 AM
The only problem I had was it would not output DTS-HD and AC3. I quick search and I just had to edit an XML file in the XBMC directory. I am not the greatest with terminal commands so I was able to just just Cyberduck and copy the XML file off, change two settings from False to True and copy it back on. Worked perfectly.

Not sure if this will save you a little time (maybe this is how you're doing it), but Command+K or right-click "Edit with" in Cyberduck will edit the file in one step using an external editor (see Prefs). All the downloading/uploading is done automatically. MacVim works well as an external editor.

mouthster
Jan 25, 2011, 10:20 AM
Looks davilla has enabled the webserver (and fixed ISO playback) within the last week. Presumably they'll both show up in the next release (unless you want to try and do your own builds. https://github.com/xbmc/atv2/commits/atv2

He's pretty active in the ATV2 forums so he seems well aware of what issues most people are running into. Other than the webserver I don't need much else. A copy of vi/vim would be nice but Cyberduck, MacVim and Command+K meets the need until I feel like installing something on the ATV2.

ssh into your atv2 and type "apt-get install vim", now you have vim.

DaveNinja
Jan 25, 2011, 10:40 AM
Does XBMC on the ATV2 have an option for "continuous play"? Like if i start an episode of SpongeBob and want the rest of the season to automatically play afterwards, is there a way to do this or would i have to put it on in a playlist? is there a way to randomize and continuously random episodes?

fabian9
Jan 25, 2011, 10:41 AM

do you have any experience in making your own builds? I'm about to have a go at it but have no experience whatsoever… Mainly because librtmp has now been added to the repo and I'm hoping this will fix the iPlayer and TV Catchup plugins.

will post back about how I got on!

srexy
Jan 25, 2011, 11:49 AM
Guys & Gals - let's get this thread back on track. The history of Plex vs XBMC has no place here - we're just very fortunate that we now have a choice. The personal attacks are also unwarranted and not tolerated on MacRumors.

I just resurrected my JB :apple:TV 2 after seeing all the positive reviews of the plex client v 0.66. It's good but the playback is a bit choppy to my mind thus
I've finished my install of XBMC and have the tv shows and movies sources set up. I'm just now scraping the tv shows and it is VERY slow! I'm looking forward to seeing how the video quality compares to Plex.

Having been through the :apple:TV 1st gen setup and v8.0 of Plex this is all old hat to me, but, that said, after using v9.0 of Plex I do appreciate the simplicity of the PMS.

wozwebs
Jan 25, 2011, 05:22 PM
Just trying to set this up and have come to jailbreak the Apple TV2 for the first time. Now my TV where the ATV2 will reside is in the front room and my iMac is in the office.

I used SeasOnPass to jailbreak, all seemed fine. Problem I have is this 10 second 'tethered' approach. I select 'Boot Tethered' with the USB and power cables in then when it says it is done I am running to the lounge where the TV is and plugging the power cable back in to the wall and then the HDMI cable, hopefully within the 10 seconds but when I look on the screen everything is just black and the unit itself has the white light blinking. If I hold down enter and play at the same time then I just get the apple logo on screen and nothing else.

Not sure what I did wrong? Will I need to take the imac to the TV and try it that way. I don't intend to unplug it again, just put it into sleep mode.

Shoesy
Jan 25, 2011, 05:43 PM
do you have any experience in making your own builds? I'm about to have a go at it but have no experience whatsoever… Mainly because librtmp has now been added to the repo and I'm hoping this will fix the iPlayer and TV Catchup plugins.

will post back about how I got on!

Check the xbmc forum - there are some new atv builds going around already ;) gonna give em a go tomorrow...

srexy
Jan 25, 2011, 06:02 PM
Just trying to set this up and have come to jailbreak the Apple TV2 for the first time. Now my TV where the ATV2 will reside is in the front room and my iMac is in the office.

I used SeasOnPass to jailbreak, all seemed fine. Problem I have is this 10 second 'tethered' approach. I select 'Boot Tethered' with the USB and power cables in then when it says it is done I am running to the lounge where the TV is and plugging the power cable back in to the wall and then the HDMI cable, hopefully within the 10 seconds but when I look on the screen everything is just black and the unit itself has the white light blinking. If I hold down enter and play at the same time then I just get the apple logo on screen and nothing else.

Not sure what I did wrong? Will I need to take the imac to the TV and try it that way. I don't intend to unplug it again, just put it into sleep mode.

From your description it sounds as if you're unplugging the power during your dash to the lounge. The problem is that as soon as you unplug it (the power) you're re-booting so the Boot Tethered part resets. I discovered this myself the hard way and have to have my Macbook Pro right next to my :apple:TV during that part to avoid it.

fabian9
Jan 26, 2011, 02:38 AM
Check the xbmc forum - there are some new atv builds going around already ;) gonna give em a go tomorrow...

Awesome! Do you have a link to a discussion with the latest build? Saves me looking for it… :)

Evgenyy
Jan 26, 2011, 07:30 AM
Awesome! Do you have a link to a discussion with the latest build? Saves me looking for it… :)

Here you go
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=91899

Evgenyy
Jan 26, 2011, 07:34 AM
I get constant buffering problems on my ATV in XBMC and cannot figure out how to get rid of them. Don't get it why some people have smooth playback and some cannot play any files without buffering every 30 seconds :confused:

gthompson20
Jan 26, 2011, 08:56 AM
I get constant buffering problems on my ATV in XBMC and cannot figure out how to get rid of them. Don't get it why some people have smooth playback and some cannot play any files without buffering every 30 seconds :confused:

Are you Wired or Wireless? Bitrate on the media that is buffering? Not all wireless networks are the same. 2.4 ghz is a crowded spectrum now days. Also I have found that if your little box is busy doing other things (Like Scraping etc.) it can cause more buffering.

Evgenyy
Jan 26, 2011, 10:29 AM
Are you Wired or Wireless? Bitrate on the media that is buffering? Not all wireless networks are the same. 2.4 ghz is a crowded spectrum now days. Also I have found that if your little box is busy doing other things (Like Scraping etc.) it can cause more buffering.

Tried it all: wired/wireless/different routers and changing to different skins (PM3 seems to be the best in performance), also stopped all scraping, changed video settings to audio clock etc. Top command in ssh reports 60-70% CPU taken by AppleTV process when playing a 720p file.

File formats are mostly 720p h.264/DTS with 5-10 Mbps but even lower bitrate files buffer as well. Some are h.264/Dolby Digital but they stutter too.

I am starting to think that the problem is with OS X and the fact that some of the shared folders are on HFS hard drives and others are on NTFS. I have 7 HDDs and 2 of them are NTFS. Bought two more HDDs today just to move everything on HFS file system and disconnect my windows drives.

Strange thing is, the files play better on the iPad from the same drives so maybe my ATV2 configuration is just wrong.

takeshi808
Jan 26, 2011, 10:30 AM
How do you turn off subtitles in XBMC? Whenever I'm playing mkv files, it automatically displays the subtitles. I can't figure out which buttons on the apple tv remote to use to bring up an OSD.

Evgenyy
Jan 26, 2011, 10:41 AM
How do you turn off subtitles in XBMC? Whenever I'm playing mkv files, it automatically displays the subtitles. I can't figure out which buttons on the apple tv remote to use to bring up an OSD.

I think you press the middle button during playback and it brings up the top menu where you can switch off subtitles.

punitnaker
Jan 26, 2011, 12:19 PM
I jailbroke by AppleTV today for the first time using Seas0nPass and it all went through fine.

I manage to log into the AppleTV through terminal as well but when I copy the first command:

apt-get update

I get this error

The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong :S. I;ve had a read through this thread and some others but can't find anything

Evgenyy
Jan 26, 2011, 12:32 PM
I jailbroke by AppleTV today for the first time using Seas0nPass and it all went through fine.

I manage to log into the AppleTV through terminal as well but when I copy the first command:

apt-get update

I get this error

The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong :S. I;ve had a read through this thread and some others but can't find anything

$ ssh root@<your ATV2 IP address>

Password: alpine

First command is actually the following:

$ echo "deb http://mirrors.xbmc.org/apt/atv2 ./" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.list

$ apt-get update

$ apt-get install org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2

djrobsd
Jan 26, 2011, 02:22 PM
I am just appalled at all the complaining and fighting going on this forum.... But putting all that aside, I want to thank those who are posting and helping users out here, and I want to say something before posting my experience.

For those who are having problems, frustrated, angry, etc... Guess what? You are HACKING. No one ever said that HACKING was easy. HACKING requires patience, persistence, and donating your time to something which may or may not work out. Back in my teen years, I remember staying up all night for weeks at a time to figure out how to break into a certain voice mail system that had just been brought out on the market, in the end alerting businesses to the security loop holes in their voice mail systems and helping them become more secure... Those days for me are long gone, and now my new sense of hacking is buying a product like Apple or Nintendo and making it do things that people never thought possible.

With that said, this is my experience.

1st: Jailbreaking the Apple TV is a pain in the ass. Unlike the iPhone jailbreaks, there is a certain disconnect about the whole USB thing. While most forums I've read say to NOT have the power connected, for me, I *HAD* to have the power connected. I'm not sure if it's because the micro USB cable I bought at the Shack sucks, or if it's because I was using my Macbook Pro unplugged (on battery power) - maybe it doesn't provide enough power. So, for me, what worked was to have the power connected when following all the steps, and it now works great every time I need to reboot. Also, make sure you disable the remote on your Mac... If you don't you'll find that Frontrow pops up all the time when you're trying to do the command sequence on the remote to get the Jailbreak working.

2nd: Installation of XBMC went flawless after the Jailbreak. Followed the steps in the guide on their site, and didn't have any issues....

3rd: Stability - not quite there yet. I've seen some crashes and lock ups. I was installing the Facebook photo app, and was entering my email address when the thing just locked up. Of course, this required a reboot of the AppleTV which then required the tethered boot again. For the most part, if I don't mess with add-ons, and don't overtax the system, it's stable but there are some glitches. Another thing, if you're on wi-fi, don't plug the ethernet cable in while in XBMC!! It will lock up! LOL... Duh!

4th: When I switched from Wi-Fi to Ethernet, and rebooted and re-tethered, for some reason XBMC kept telling me that my files were no longer there - do you wish to remove. I ended up closing and re-opening XBMC a few times and then it worked fine.

5th: Playback - I've thrown everything under the sun... VOB files, xVid, DivX, Avi, Mkv, h264, and haven't had any issues playing the file. I did have issues with a 1080p MKV file, it was skipping and stuttering. When I play it on my PC it does the same thing, so I'm assuming that these hi-def movies just aren't quite ready for prime time playback on your average device. I will adjust my download behavior accordingly and go for the 720p ones - I don't even have a 1080p TV anyway, so it's pointless. If anyone has tips on getting 1080p playback to work flawlessly, do tell.

6th: NAS Support - awesome. I'm using a ReadyNAS Duo from Netgear (amazing device BTW!!) - and all I did was add source - browse network, and it found the workgroup the NAS was in and the shared media folder. From there, I added various folders such as TV Shows, and movies. I'm amazed at how easy this is to setup, and also a bit perplexed why so many users are having issues. For those having issues, I would recommend trying to just browse for the folder on the network - this of course means that your NAS needs to be setup for NETBIOS file sharing. :)

7th: Scraping - ok this one is kind of random... I added IMDB, and also use built in moviedb (fallback is enabled)... It seems to work, but... Sometimes it doesn't scrape the files the first time, I have to close XBMC and reopen and then it finds some more files. I don't know why this is. But for the most part, it scrapes everything pretty well - the only ones I haven't gotten it to properly scrape are my VOB files. QUESTION: is there a way to FORCE scraping without having to quit and reopen the app?

8th: VOB files - playback works, but I am a little confused. It seems like it will only play one file at a time, and I have to open the next file when it's done playing each file, so in a given movie I have to be interrupted 4-5 times... I'm wondering if there is a way for it to just auto play the next VOB file? Also, for some reason, I can't see VOB files except in File Browsing mode, if I switch to Media Browsing, it doesn't show up - I'm assuming because the scraper didn't pick up the VOB file. Is there a secret trick to making it work (i.e. need to name the folder a certain way?? and enable that setting to read folders?)

Overall, I am very happy with XBMC... It does so much, and I'm looking forward to customizing and playing with it. I hope and pray that they come out with an untethered Jailbreak for AppleTV2 soon... Then I can just take it from room to room (it's such a small cute little device).. Right now I'm afraid to unplug it! LOL

spencers
Jan 26, 2011, 02:59 PM
QUESTION: is there a way to FORCE scraping without having to quit and reopen the app?

Bring up a contextual menu (Tkotm said: hold menu button for 2/3 seconds) on the share of your choosing, when you're browsing the Video section and go to "scan for new content" (or whatever it's called, I forget off-hand).

Glad you're enjoying it! I love it as well.

fabian9
Jan 26, 2011, 03:12 PM
Here you go
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=91899

thanks! I tried it now, unfortunately BBC iPlayer still doesn't work. Haven't had much time to tinker with it much yet though...

fabian9
Jan 26, 2011, 03:27 PM
Just got the TV catchup plugin to work, except the aspect ratio is off.

NOW THIS IS HUGE NEWS:
BBC iPlayer WORKS!!!!!! :D:D:D

djrobsd
Jan 27, 2011, 12:59 AM
I think you press the middle button during playback and it brings up the top menu where you can switch off subtitles.

Yep and then in the audio options box, check the bottom option "set as default for all files" so it turns subtitles off. You can always manually turn them on.

djrobsd
Jan 27, 2011, 01:01 AM
Tried it all: wired/wireless/different routers and changing to different skins (PM3 seems to be the best in performance), also stopped all scraping, changed video settings to audio clock etc. Top command in ssh reports 60-70% CPU taken by AppleTV process when playing a 720p file.

File formats are mostly 720p h.264/DTS with 5-10 Mbps but even lower bitrate files buffer as well. Some are h.264/Dolby Digital but they stutter too.

I am starting to think that the problem is with OS X and the fact that some of the shared folders are on HFS hard drives and others are on NTFS. I have 7 HDDs and 2 of them are NTFS. Bought two more HDDs today just to move everything on HFS file system and disconnect my windows drives.

Strange thing is, the files play better on the iPad from the same drives so maybe my ATV2 configuration is just wrong.

Wierd, tried Thelma and Louise 720p x264 file - no problem. Also tried Office Space 1080p x264 file.. No problem. For me, I'm accessing the shares via BROWSING for the share rather then adding it, and I think I'm using WINDOWS sharing... On my ReadyNAS Duo.

The only time I've had problems playing back the files is when it's scraping or doing other tasks.

djrobsd
Jan 27, 2011, 01:13 AM
So I guess reading in the XBMC forum, VOB files are not working on Apple TV. Kind of unfortunate, but I guess for now I will just download the h264 files from newsgroups rather then rip my DVD's (probably easier anyway - since the whole PROCESS takes forever, where it only takes me about 10 mins to download a movie!). ;)

jgunn
Jan 27, 2011, 06:50 AM
first off, wanted to say love it!, for people complaining remember it's a hack, deal with it. I have one question/problem though and have tried searching the xbmc forums.

It's all relatively a fluid interface yet the thumbnails have the slight delay when they are in thumbnail view, that 2/3 seconds where you wait for them to load, even though they have downloaded previously. Is this just a hardware problem, can I increase the cache or ask it to store permanently. I'm using the refocus theme.

thanks

new0rder
Jan 27, 2011, 01:11 PM
first of all this jailbreak is not as easy as the iPhone, took me few attempts. since it require a Mac to make the custom firmware, I have to use my VMware on PC, use Seas0nPass to create the custom firmware, however Seas0nPass will not flash the ATV2, I keep getting error 21 in iTune, so I have to copy the custom firmware out on my external drive and flash it on my PC's iTune, with the help of iReb to get the ATV2 to DFU mode, then I also use the Win32 version of the tetherboot (found here: https://github.com/msftguy/syringe/downloads) and the following syntax:
tetheredboot -i iBSS.k66ap.RELEASE.dfu -k kernelcache.release.k66
this way, there is no need to use the vitual Mac machine each time to tether the ATV2 to boot-up.

simply this why I get ATV2 in the first place been waiting for this day. great work XBMC guys.:) can't wait for the non-tethered version of jailbreak.

djrobsd
Jan 28, 2011, 12:57 AM
So do I have to ssh into my AppleTV every time I want to update XBMC or is there an update tool within the GUI?

djrobsd
Jan 28, 2011, 03:28 AM
My power knocked out... :(

Upon repower, when I tried to do a tethered boot of the AppleTV, I could not get any network connectivity, either on ethernet or Wifi. I rebooted and re-tethered several times to no avail.

The only way I've seen to fix this is to rejailbreak the device. Unfortunately, upon doing so, network connectivity was back, but I then had to reinstall XBMC.

Upon reinstall, I have now lost all my settings and my library and all the work i put into this the past couple days.

I know I can't get it back, but please, for the love of god, someone tell me there is a way to back all this stuff up so I can restore XBMC and all my settings/library/etc when I rejailbreak the device... PLEASE!!!

Thanks!

PS> Why the hell does it loose network connectivity and need to be rejailbroken to get it back sometimes? Is there any trick to getting the network connection to work again once it looses it?

Evgenyy
Jan 28, 2011, 04:52 AM
My power knocked out... :(

Upon repower, when I tried to do a tethered boot of the AppleTV, I could not get any network connectivity, either on ethernet or Wifi. I rebooted and re-tethered several times to no avail.

The only way I've seen to fix this is to rejailbreak the device. Unfortunately, upon doing so, network connectivity was back, but I then had to reinstall XBMC.

Upon reinstall, I have now lost all my settings and my library and all the work i put into this the past couple days.

I know I can't get it back, but please, for the love of god, someone tell me there is a way to back all this stuff up so I can restore XBMC and all my settings/library/etc when I rejailbreak the device... PLEASE!!!

Thanks!

PS> Why the hell does it loose network connectivity and need to be rejailbroken to get it back sometimes? Is there any trick to getting the network connection to work again once it looses it?

Make sure you are using the latest version of Seas0nPass when jailbreaking and tethered booting. I think lost network connectivity was an issue in an earlier version. Also, when entering into DFU mode, I have my power cord unplugged (otherwise my ATV won't enter into DFU) but once it starts the boot process I plug the power cord back in. Network is always back up and running that way and it even remembers my settings.

Evgenyy
Jan 28, 2011, 04:54 AM
I figured out what was causing buffering of every file in my case. For some reason SMB shares cause bottleneck. I access folders as follows:

- On mac I shared all the drives with SMB enabled.
- On ATV2 I added a new SMB location with IP address of the mac and username/password of the mac admin account.
- I then added folders from that newly mount SMB location.

All files stutter for me no matter what settings I use. Once I installed unofficial xbmc2pms plugin from here (http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/22723-xbmc-natively-running-on-atv/page__view__findpost__p__142042) and access files via this plugin, there is no more stuttering. Files play smooth because they are served via http by plex media server so SMB is not used anymore.

If anyone knows how to access my folders on mac without using SMB or how to resolve my slow SMB issue, I would greatly appreciate it.

DaveNinja
Jan 28, 2011, 09:23 AM
I figured out what was causing buffering of every file in my case. For some reason SMB shares cause bottleneck. I access folders as follows:

- On ATV2 I added a new SMB location with IP address of the mac and username/password of the mac admin account.

I set up my SMB this way (I enabled the sharing for a specific user instead of specific drives) and it worked fine for me.

DaveNinja
Jan 28, 2011, 09:24 AM
So do I have to ssh into my AppleTV every time I want to update XBMC or is there an update tool within the GUI?

I was curious about this too. if you do have to SSH into the ATV what command will grab and install the update? is it just "apt-get update"?

spencers
Jan 28, 2011, 12:23 PM
I was curious about this too. if you do have to SSH into the ATV what command will grab and install the update? is it just "apt-get update"?

Yes, and after that "apt-get upgrade"

apatel87
Jan 28, 2011, 04:32 PM
i accidentally added a menu and unfortunately do not have a working iphone right now. I pressed menu for 2/3 of a second and I see "Settings, Set timer, Favourites, etc" along the bottom in a horizontal rwo. How do I go about deleting this share?

NVM: figured it out

thomasjon
Jan 29, 2011, 03:56 PM
I cannot find the answers anywhere.

1) how do I exit the xmbc and get back to atv2 menus? When I click on the small power button on the xbmc the whole unit crashes and needs a tethered reboot.

2). How do I disable subtitles in mkv files with apple remote or any iPhone app?

andrew0122
Jan 30, 2011, 09:00 AM
Boot problem. I've tried searching for my problem rather throughly here and on XBMC website. If it's out there and someone can point me in the right direction please help... ANY assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I have jailbroken my :apple:TV 2nd gen and have been able to load XBMC successfully, but then after an hour or so of using the it, it crashed (I'm assuming) and restarted the :apple:TV. Now all it shows is the :apple: logo with the front light flashing. I know I have to preform a tethered boot to restart the iOS, but does anyone know if an untethered boot is out there?

I'm currently using Seas0nPass and having to lug my 24" iMac into the living room every time . . . Needless to say. IT's A PAIN!

JeffLebowski41
Jan 31, 2011, 01:31 PM
no untethered boot currently. sounds like you may need to rejailbreak.

one handy thing I've found is that once you have it up and running and it freezes or crashes and refuses to start again..just ssh to the apple tv ip and do a killall AppleTV command. this will essentially do a soft reset by killing the processes and let you get started again without having to reboot in tethered mode.

JeffLebowski41
Jan 31, 2011, 01:35 PM

All files stutter for me no matter what settings I use. Once I installed unofficial xbmc2pms plugin from here (http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/22723-xbmc-natively-running-on-atv/page__view__findpost__p__142042) and access files via this plugin, there is no more stuttering. Files play smooth because they are served via http by plex media server so SMB is not used anymore.

If anyone knows how to access my folders on mac without using SMB or how to resolve my slow SMB issue, I would greatly appreciate it.

hmm, I will have to give that a try. I'm using smb from my imac and running into a lot of buffering. No real rhyme or reason to it either. some files ok, others would literally buffer every few seconds. This was happening on <2gig avi's, so network bandwidth certainly shouldn't have been an issue.

DaveNinja
Jan 31, 2011, 02:06 PM
Yes, and after that "apt-get upgrade"

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

will update/upgrade all my programs on the ATV, correct? is there a way to make it only update/upgrade XMBC? I dont know if the Plex update works on my OS and i dont want to screw it up

i finally had a problem playing a file through XMBC on the ATV2. I could play other 720p files (~2gig for a movie size) without any problems but this only Elvis 1972 tour film in 720p was skipping seconds on audio like crazy. My ATV2 is wired into my network. It was just weird it was happening for one file but i couldnt find other ones that it would happen to and the file plays fine on the computer

JeffLebowski41
Jan 31, 2011, 05:46 PM
just to follow up on the issues with smb shares. I've switched to upnp via ps3mediaserver running on my imac. I have used it for years with my ps3 and it's pretty straightforward. As long as it's running on the network it should show up under the upnp option of adding sources in xbmc. Fingers crossed, but i'm not seeing the buffering issues that I saw via smb. The only downside I've seen so far is that it doesn't allow resuming if you have to stop a video. Annoying, but something I'll have to live with until smb or something else is working reliably.

Just thought I'd pass it on to anyone else that might be having an issue.

Shoesy
Jan 31, 2011, 06:08 PM
For all buffeting issues when playing ac3 audio, first turn off generate thumbnails in settings. Should fix you up a treat.

JeffLebowski41
Jan 31, 2011, 06:21 PM
That's a good tip but I was still having buffering problems with them off

JeffLebowski41
Feb 1, 2011, 02:11 PM

want to give this a try, but it's not clear where the zip should be transferred to on the appletv for it to be visible to xmbc. can you post the path it needs to be placed in? Thanks.

spencers
Feb 1, 2011, 02:22 PM
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
will update/upgrade all my programs on the ATV, correct? is there a way to make it only update/upgrade XMBC? I dont know if the Plex update works on my OS and i dont want to screw it up.
i finally had a problem playing a file through XMBC on the ATV2. I could play other 720p files (~2gig for a movie size) without any problems but this only Elvis 1972 tour film in 720p was skipping seconds on audio like crazy. My ATV2 is wired into my network. It was just weird it was happening for one file but i couldnt find other ones that it would happen to and the file plays fine on the computer
I'm not sure whether that command does xbmc only or not. My addons are set to update automatically anyway. I only run update/upgrade whenever I feel like it. I don't want to fix what's not broken. ;)

As for the file, what audio stream does it have? AC3? DTS? With the latter, [I think] you need a beefy machine to decode the audio. Even my HTPC has trouble with DTS-ES audio.

want to give this a try, but it's not clear where the zip should be transferred to on the appletv for it to be visible to xmbc. can you post the path it needs to be placed in? Thanks.
Grab Cyberduck and SFTP into the ATV.
Place the zip in /var/mobile -- which is the "Home Folder" XBMC maps to.

djrobsd
Feb 1, 2011, 02:28 PM
Boot problem. I've tried searching for my problem rather throughly here and on XBMC website. If it's out there and someone can point me in the right direction please help... ANY assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I have jailbroken my :apple:TV 2nd gen and have been able to load XBMC successfully, but then after an hour or so of using the it, it crashed (I'm assuming) and restarted the :apple:TV. Now all it shows is the :apple: logo with the front light flashing. I know I have to preform a tethered boot to restart the iOS, but does anyone know if an untethered boot is out there?

I'm currently using Seas0nPass and having to lug my 24" iMac into the living room every time . . . Needless to say. IT's A PAIN!

Don't take this the wrong way but if you don't have a laptop or easy access to a computer near your TV setup, this probably isn't going to be the solution for you for now until they come up with an untethered boot option. :(

noobinator
Feb 1, 2011, 06:42 PM
Just used seasonpass successfully on my ATV2. was going to install xbmc but i wanted to hook it up to make sure it's working first. did the tethered boot, disconnected usb and hooked up to tv and i am getting no picture, on 2 tv's with different HDMI cables.

Any ideas??

JeffLebowski41
Feb 1, 2011, 06:52 PM
Grab Cyberduck and SFTP into the ATV.
Place the zip in /var/mobile -- which is the "Home Folder" XBMC maps to.

great, thanks. have it installed but haven't had a chance to do much testing yet.

Evgenyy
Feb 2, 2011, 03:03 AM
That's a good tip but I was still having buffering problems with them off

Somehow XBMC now sees SMB Windows network differently and I can browse it without the need to add SMB share manually i.e. when I add source, I go to SMB Windows Network, then Workgroup and then my Mac which has all the shares.

I now have no issues with buffering. For those with buffering problems can also try UPNP server on Mac as suggested before and that should fix buffering issues.