Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaulMoore

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
Not sure whether to put this here or in the buying advice section.

Here's the deal- I am trying to choose an Eye TV tuner for my Mac to DVR shows from a direct coax cable feed. So it needs to be able to tune in to QAM channels (which I understand is what the term is for cable without a set top box).

Having run the cable direct to my TV (bypassing the set top box) I see some local HD channels at 600+ (some are 601-1 etc.) does that rule out the Eye TV One?

According Amazon.com's tech specs the Eye TV One and the Eye TV Hybrid can both supposedly get QAM channels- but I don't see why the price difference.

Elgato's Q&As on the subject are confusing and I wondered if anyone here had tried either or both and would know which would be best.

Thanks!

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Does your cable provider do unencrypted "cable channels" in HD?

The only HD channels my carrier provides unencrypted are the local stations, and that's probably because the FCC requires them to. :eek:

It looks like the Hybrid does OTA HD + Clear QAM and the One only does OTA HD.

PaulMoore

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
Thanks for the reply.

No- the local cable company only does local OTA in unencrypted HD.

Does anyone know if the Hybrid can get channels with high numbers (eg 600+)?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
With my cable provider, my Hybrid picks up the local HDs (Clear QAM), and most of them are channel 700+.

That's it for HD. It doesn't pick up any of the "cable-only" HD channels. Stupid "Not Clear" QAM! :D

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-01-20 at 9.33.00 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-01-20 at 9.33.00 PM.png
    84.5 KB · Views: 88

PaulMoore

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
Thanks- would it get the channels that my TV showed as 80-1 and 113-8 etc.? (these were via the cable coax)

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
I don't know if it matters to you but I know the Hybrid also picks up analog channels.

PaulMoore

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

OK so the One wouldn't get the SD channels on 1-99? Or is that not analog?

ReggaeFire

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2003
Here's the breakdown:

EyeTV One: Can only receive Over the Air digital broadcast TV (there are no analog OTA broadcasts in the US anymore, I'm not sure of other territories).
EyeTV Hybrid: Can receive OTA, Clear-QAM and analog cable TV.
EyeTV HD: Video input via component cables to connect directly to a cable/satellite box, so you can get encoded channels unavailable via the other products.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.