PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook G4's 2-fingered scrolling?

KahnMC
Feb 1, 2005, 08:15 PM
I just bought a new 15" Powerbook, and I love it already. I saw on the apple site that you are supposedly able to scroll vertically or horizontally across a webpage or large document using two fingers on the trackpad. Apple's site also says this option is easily customizable etc.

I tried everything, and I swear it just doesn't work. If there's any other powerbook owners out there that could help me out, and tell me what area of the system preferences/mouse+keyboard area turns this function on and off i'd be very happy!

thanks

-noob kahn

Bear
Feb 1, 2005, 08:22 PM
Silly question. Where did you buy it? And are you sure you have one of the new models?

The new models were just released Monday and they were the first to have the extra features on the trackpad..

daveL
Feb 1, 2005, 08:31 PM
Yes, are you sure you have the latest model just announced? Anything older will not have the track pad scrolling feature. If it is the newest model, how did you get it so quickly!?

KahnMC
Feb 1, 2005, 08:33 PM
no wonder, i guess I didn't get the new model. I bought the thing sunday the 29th. I bought it at the Mac store in san diego.

that's ridiculous! I could've gotten a better model had i waited a day?!

donniedarko
Feb 1, 2005, 08:41 PM
....chapped :(

runninmac
Feb 1, 2005, 08:43 PM
oh god that sucks. cant you return it within 14 days or something like that if u got a stock model? (did u get a stock model?)

tortfeasor
Feb 1, 2005, 09:09 PM
oh god that sucks. cant you return it within 14 days or something like that if u got a stock model? (did u get a stock model?)

Minus a 10% restocking fee if opened... As mine was that I purchased last Thursday :-(

But even with the restocking fee, I am saving $350 with a new model. Too bad I am not saving $600 (grr... Damn apple store manage who wouldn't waive the fee)

Timelessblur
Feb 2, 2005, 12:48 AM
I have a feeling that it mostly a software issue and they did not change the hardware in it

tortfeasor
Feb 2, 2005, 01:30 AM
I have a feeling that it mostly a software issue and they did not change the hardware in it

Apple has stated that it IS a hardware change.

AWishForNoOne
Feb 2, 2005, 08:14 PM
no wonder, i guess I didn't get the new model. I bought the thing sunday the 29th. I bought it at the Mac store in san diego.

that's ridiculous! I could've gotten a better model had i waited a day?!

If you bought it within 10 days of an upgrade you can return it. I think if it's build to order you have to pay the restocking fee but in my opinion it's definetly worth it.

KahnMC
Feb 6, 2005, 03:29 AM
I totally got the manager to waive my restock fee.

running the new gen powerbook G4 and loving it!

p.s. the 2-finger scrolling's cool.

thanks everyone

Lacero
Feb 6, 2005, 04:22 AM
Good for you. Damn I hate to be stuck with a previous gen PB if I had just waited a day also.

Bear
Feb 6, 2005, 07:12 AM
When I went through the Apple Store yesterday, I checked the Mac OS revision on one of the new PowerBooks - it was 7T# (don't remember the exact number). 10.3.7 that was released via software update is 7S215.

We'll have to see when 10.3.8 comes out what happens with older PowerBooks. Although even if some of the older PowerBooks support the 2 finger scrolling, the 10.3.8 update may not deliver the device driver needed. That may take until Tiger. (Of course the could go by PwerBook revision and only have it working on ones that were advertised with the feature even if some older models have the right trackpad.)

KahnMC
Feb 13, 2005, 03:37 AM
Bear,

I was under the impression that the 2-fingered scrolling trackpads is more of a hardware issue and cannot be used by the older powerbooks due to the capability.

Bear
Feb 13, 2005, 08:42 AM
Bear,

I was under the impression that the 2-fingered scrolling trackpads is more of a hardware issue and cannot be used by the older powerbooks due to the capability.Actually there have been a few threads about how to get 2 finger scrolling on the recent PowerBook models and apparently iBook models. See this website (http://www-users.kawo2.rwth-aachen.de/~razzfazz/) to see how to test your laptop (DO THIS FIRST) to see if you can activate two finger scrolling. And then the device driver (source and binary) are available for download.

Littleodie914
Feb 13, 2005, 09:29 AM
Actually there have been a few threads about how to get 2 finger scrolling on the recent PowerBook models and apparently iBook models. See this website (http://www-users.kawo2.rwth-aachen.de/~razzfazz/) to see how to test your laptop (DO THIS FIRST) to see if you can activate two finger scrolling. And then the device driver (source and binary) are available for download.Yep yep, I installed the driver on my iBook, and it runs just fine. I can't seem to keep the driver loaded after restarts though... Maybe I didn't read through the article thoroughly enough, but I thought I did the "replace old driver with new" part. :confused: