PDA

View Full Version : can ANYONE help me track down 10.4 iBook reinstall data?

dandaman2
Jan 20, 2011, 11:21 PM
Ok amigos here's the shiz.

A friend of mine dropped her iBook G4 while it was on, running Tiger. HD is probably damaged cause it's 5 years old and HDs are friggin delicate, but it's firing up and it purrs like a jungle cat. Problem is the OS won't boot. So I should try a reinstall, right?

But she doesn't have the disks. Can't find them so she gave the iBook to me for a weekend. And I've been searching all evening for maybe a download or a way to get a copy shipped or a cryptic set of codes that would lead me on a thrilling, life-endangering adventure entitled "Cupertino Jones and the White iPhone 4".

I don't know if any of y'all have a trusted source for this data and can gimme the hookup, you would have my eternal gratitude. or if you have the disks and can burn them and put them up on mediafire or similar, that would be extra awesome and I would feel obliged to bake you cookies.

Much appreciated,
Dan

alust2013
Jan 20, 2011, 11:49 PM
A reinstall more than likely won't cut it. If it won't boot, the HD is probably toast, as a drop won't simply knock the data off of it.

MacHamster68
Jan 21, 2011, 12:31 AM
+1 for the headcrash so in need of a new harddrive and you dont need the original disc just a retail version of tiger available at ebay and some online stores who deal in used Mac's

dandaman2
Jan 21, 2011, 07:03 AM
Yes I know the HD is toast, and said so in the OP. Her second opinion, a Certified Apple Geniusİ, who I can only assume was intoxicated at the time, disagrees. But like I said, the HD SOUNDS fine, and it's hypothetically possible for a drop to result in little else than a corrupt data, stranger things have happened.

It's good to know I only need a retail copy of Tiger. I have one of those lying around. I assumed this was not the case because iMac reinstall disks only work in iMacs, MacBook discs only work in MacBooks, etc, etc.

MacHamster68
Jan 21, 2011, 08:02 AM
but the retail disc works everywhere , the model specific ones are grey , but on the grey disc's as you get two and on this second one is the ilife stuff (iphoto, imovie, garageband..), but thats no problem , usually ilife can be found like the "retail" disc's of tiger

but if the iBook originally came with tiger from apple (the ibook12" 1.33 and 14"1.42 form 2005 shipped with tiger ),then its worth to try to call apple(have the serial number ready of the ibook and be prepared to pay a small fee , if you are nice and kind and friendly and some tears help too on the phone ,then they might even send you the set

DewGuy1999
Jan 21, 2011, 08:08 AM
If you contact AppleCare they can provide you a copy of the original restore discs for a nominal fee.